*sigh* The only time I seem to lose any wieght is when I can't eat

Like when I'm sick.

Over the summer I has a U.U.U.P. surgery to lessen the effects of my sleep apnea. I couldn't eat anything but popcicles and watermelon for two weeks. I lost ten pounds.

That was back in July. I had managed to keep it off up until this month, I gained back about four pounds. I was already really discouraged because I was walking, and biking, and eating as mindfully as I possibly could. And I still can't lose weight, and am now gaining weight again.

I've had trouble mental health wise for the last eight years, gained 100lbs due to pysch meds. Now off them a year, and I can't lose any of that weight, unless I just don't eat. I always joked that while I may suffer from bipolar disorder, that at least I'd never be anorexic. And I don't like skipping meals, if I do I feel agitated and my headaches usually end up worse off than they started.

Should I just accept that I'll always be fat now? I wanted to be healthy, and lose weight and get in shape -- but it doesn't seem that can happen unless I don't eat, which kind of takes away the healthy part, which to me is the biggest part of weight loss. I hate shopping for clothes because nothing fits right, and I hate the thought that the food that is supposed to nourish me is why I am so heavy.

I just don't know what else I can try. Can anyone relate? Or have any suggestions? I'd thought about fasting, but even skipping breakfast leaves me weak and on edge.

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Have you been logging your food/counting calories?
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Have you been logging your food/counting calories?

Seconding this. You haven't mentioned trying calorie counting.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    I would also suggest being more active.
  • earthapple
    earthapple Posts: 6 Member
    I have logged, but not faithfully -- and not in a long while. It didn't seem to be making any difference, other than making me disappointed because I could never fit perfectly into the limits that were set. If I did calories okay, the carbs were off. If the sugar was okay, the calories were off. I have been measuring foods, and watching portion sizes and including vegetables with meals. I think what I was doing, would be good for weight maintenance, but not weight loss.

I see a nutritionist, and she recommended I get a fit bit two months ago, but I haven't had enough for one until now and I don't even know if that would help if I got one now. I guess I'm looking for suggestions on shifting mindsets more than anything. I am very all or nothing, and am a perfectionist. And I think that is a huge barrier for meeting weight loss goals.

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. But I feel like I could turn the switch for eating on or off, and I'd lose weight. I don't want to that because I know it's not healthy, but eating foods, even good foods -- carrots, apples, whole grain cereals, brussel sprouts, wraps or salads over cheeseburgers...I look more for the nutritional content, but that doesn't seem to make a difference as opposed to when I was measuring for low calories or carbs.

I know it's supposed to be a process, and it's supposed to be something you can reasonably stick with in the long term. I'm just feeling stuck because I don't think there is much more I can do.
  • peterbuller8
    peterbuller8 Posts: 155 Member
    As above try logging everything you eat for a week or two weigh it all but don't worry if you go over your calories for the day. After this you will see exactly what you are eating then just start cutting back a little at a time until you hit your calorie goal add in the exercise you are doing but remember not to eat back all of the calories about half is a good idea. You should then see the weight start to come off you will be surprised that what you think you are eating is nothing like what you are really eating i know i was . Don't give up this is the best place for help and advice good luck.
  • parislover2012
    parislover2012 Posts: 3 Member
    Have you seen a doctor to rule out medical conditions that make weight loss hard?

I have Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome that can make losing weight hard. Thyroid conditions will also make it hard.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,447 Member
    earthapple wrote: »
    I have logged, but not faithfully -- and not in a long while. It didn't seem to be making any difference, other than making me disappointed because I could never fit perfectly into the limits that were set. If I did calories okay, the carbs were off. If the sugar was okay, the calories were off. I have been measuring foods, and watching portion sizes and including vegetables with meals. I think what I was doing, would be good for weight maintenance, but not weight loss.

Don't worry about carbs and sugar and all that stuff ... just focus on calories.

Enter your information into MFP.
    Select sedentary as your activity level.
    Select a goal weight loss each week (1 lb/week)
    MFP will give you a calorie limit.

For the next 3 weeks ... weigh and log everything you eat, remaining at or ever-so-slightly below that calorie limit. Stick to it for 3 weeks. No cheat days. No days where you're lax at logging. No days going over your calorie limit.

I didn't lose a thing until I had been here and had been logging for 10 days. On the 11th day, I started to lose. By 3 weeks, I was on my way ...

But I did it by sticking to it like glue. Tenacity!

And I also roamed the aisles of grocery stores and markets to find food I liked that would fit within my calorie limit with some staying power ... took a bit of experimentation.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Just log calories, ignore the rest until you get your food portions in order
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Just log calories, ignore the rest until you get your food portions in order

+1
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited November 2016
    I was walking, and biking, and eating as mindfully as I possibly could. And I still can't lose weight, and am now gaining weight again.
    If you can't keep a stable/healthy weight by just eating when hungry and stopping when full, you have to either plan fixed meals and stick to that, or log your food intake, to be sure you are eating the appropriate amount. Exercise is good, but doesn't burn that many calories.

I can't lose any of that weight, unless I just don't eat.
    You're not supposed to not eat. To lose/maintain weight, you just have to not overeat.
    Oh, and the weight lost by not eating, would mostly be from less food/waste in your intestines, and very little "real" weight loss, or fat loss. You can't stop eating. You'll starve. Being hungry is okay. But then you have to eat. Eating is good. But eating too much over time is not good. Eating too little over time often leads to eating too much over time.

Should I just accept that I'll always be fat now?
    You could, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I wanted to be healthy, and lose weight and get in shape -- but it doesn't seem that can happen unless I don't eat, which kind of takes away the healthy part, which to me is the biggest part of weight loss.
    Again: you're not supposed to not eat. To lose/maintain weight, you just have to not overeat.

I just don't know what else I can try. Can anyone relate? Or have any suggestions?
    Log and track your intake, consistently, and keep on doing it.

I'd thought about fasting, but even skipping breakfast leaves me weak and on edge.
    Not necessary. You just have to balance your intake.

I have logged, but not faithfully -- and not in a long while. It didn't seem to be making any difference,
    It IS making a difference, but it takes consistency and time, a long time to see the results.

other than making me disappointed because I could never fit perfectly into the limits that were set. If I did calories okay, the carbs were off. If the sugar was okay, the calories were off.
    Then just track calories.

I see a nutritionist
    Most likely a waste of time and money.

I guess I'm looking for suggestions on shifting mindsets more than anything. I am very all or nothing, and am a perfectionist. And I think that is a huge barrier for meeting weight loss goals.
    Good thinking. You need to work on your attitudes. Suggestions: Look into things like SMART planning, non-dualistic thinking, Eastern philosophy. Zen. What is Normal Eating?

I feel like I could turn the switch for eating on or off, and I'd lose weight. I don't want to that because I know it's not healthy,
    It can be - if you turn that on/off switch a few times per day. You know - those things usually referred to as "meals".

but eating foods, even good foods -- carrots, apples, whole grain cereals, brussel sprouts, wraps or salads over cheeseburgers...
    Don't separate foods into good/bad (that's in line with the all-or-nothing thinking that you want to get rid off). All foods have nutrients, but the composition varies. You should aim to get in everything you need every day, but not too much of anything. How to make this happen, would be totally up to you.

I know it's supposed to be a process, and it's supposed to be something you can reasonably stick with in the long term. I'm just feeling stuck because I don't think there is much more I can do.
    There is a lot more you can do. You have to be willing, and make an effort, but you can do a lot.