the dreaded loose skin

Options
When I started my weight loss journey I never even thought about having loose skin. However, now after losing just over 20kg or 46 pounds, going from 85kg to 62kg I have really noticed loose sagging skin on my stomach, upper arms and upper thighs.

It's making me feel discouraged to lose more weight. I'm scared. I don't want loose skin. I think I would rather be fat than have loose sagging skin. It's not pretty. I feel as though this is something that isn't mentioned as an after affect in all the weight loss hype that is going around.

I only have 8kg till my goal weight. I should be excited. But I am not. I feel that this loose skin is going to make me more embarrassed than my weight ever did. I am too embarrassed to talk to my friends and family about it. It's not something that I want people to know about. It's like a dirty little shameful secret.

Sorry for all the negativity, but I have worked so hard and at this current moment I feel its all been for nothing.

Does anybody have any advise of how to deal with this? or is going through this also?

Replies

• elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    hi becca. not sure if this will help but after i had my daughter when i sucked in my tummy my belly button was up near my rib cage. it looked odd. now you would never know. there are no guarrantees but the human body is constantly replacing itself and recovering and your body may well spring back into shape over time. also i have found weight lifting has really helped me get rid of that last little bit of loose skin which in my case was probably fat also. have faith and keep calm. you have achieved a lot. good things take time
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    A lot of times it just bounces back on it's own. Other times strength training plays a key part in tightening up. I did a post not too long ago about skin care tips ad tricks. And be patient. And proud! No matter what you're healthier and that's something to feel very confident about! Here's my tips.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/aquarabbit/view/loose-skin-tips-550451
  • wencandoit2013
    Options
    First, let me say, "Congrats to you on your weight loss!"
    I'm so sorry that the issue of loose skin has lessened your enjoyment of such a great accomplishment.

Without seeing how much loose skin we are talking about, and knowing anything about the elasticity of your skin, it is difficult to offer you the hope and encouragement you are currently seeking. The truth is that loose skin sometimes requires surgery, sometimes requires diet change and weight-lifting, and sometimes requires time.

Being unhealthy and overweight often times requires medicine to treat related issues. It also has the potential of shortening our lifespan and/or causing us to live a lower quality of life than we would if we were healthier. Cosmetic benefits of losing weight are great for many of us, but if you keep focused on the fact that the changes you are making to your insides far outweigh (forgive the unintended pun) the ones on the outside, you may feel slightly better.

Do your best. Re-vamp the self-loathing thoughts in your head to ones that praise you for your hard work and dedication. And if you can't come up with any - ask me - because I think you have done an amazing job.
  • emelenjrmac
    Options
    I am not currently going through it as I have just begun my journey. But weighing 295 when I started and wanting to get under 200 eventually I am constantly afraid of the saggy skin problem. I have actually had a nightmare. Im not a DR and I don't know anything for sure, but I do know this. Even if I got super skinny I wouldn't wear a bikini, I am way to shy for that. So anything else I wear I can hide it. If saggy skin means I can run around with my children and laugh and play with them. Bring it on. Those who love me will love me then and those who love you will love you. However, In my prayers to God I actually ask him to not let that happen so I am right there with you.
  • JennOnTheRocks
    Options
    I have lost just shy of 100 lbs and am struggling with the loose skin fears as well. I just told my fiance the other night that when I was fat I was less self conscious about my body than I am now. He reassured me that this is just a temporary body. My body is ever changing. A year ago I would have called him crazy if he told me I could lose 100 lbs. He is right. The realist in me KNOWS that being fat is not the answer to this problem. The realist knows that hard work, healthy eating, hydration are all keys to minimizing the loose skin. However, the pessimist in me still is insecure. I just want to feel good in my skin, as I am sure you do. I have decided that I will do everything I can to minimize my loose skin. If at the end of this journey, I am not happy/comfortable with the results then I will consider alternative options. Until then I am repeating positive self affirmations, working hard, and learning to love me and my body for what it is now and what it can be. At the end of the day, even with some loose skin, I am improving my quality of life (medically) and am giving myself this super new body to live a long life in. :)
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    :blushing: bump
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    When I started my weight loss journey I never even thought about having loose skin. However, now after losing just over 20kg or 46 pounds, going from 85kg to 62kg I have really noticed loose sagging skin on my stomach, upper arms and upper thighs.

It's making me feel discouraged to lose more weight. I'm scared. I don't want loose skin. I think I would rather be fat than have loose sagging skin. It's not pretty. I feel as though this is something that isn't mentioned as an after affect in all the weight loss hype that is going around.

I only have 8kg till my goal weight. I should be excited. But I am not. I feel that this loose skin is going to make me more embarrassed than my weight ever did. I am too embarrassed to talk to my friends and family about it. It's not something that I want people to know about. It's like a dirty little shameful secret.

Sorry for all the negativity, but I have worked so hard and at this current moment I feel its all been for nothing.

Does anybody have any advise of how to deal with this? or is going through this also?

just quoting for you so other people can understand how you got here.
  • aphroditesmaiden
    aphroditesmaiden Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is my new affirmation to dealing with my loose skin: I am grateful for this skin which is no longer filled with fat.

I know that with exercise and (if needed) surgery, my skin will be tight again.

I had a long talk with a friend of mine who told me that my loose skin is beautiful because it is a sign of all I have accomplished. That loose skin isn't a dirty secret, it's beautiful! It's a sign that you have accomplished something that many overweight people cannot dream of: you beat the heaviness.
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    Awesome attitude. I'm newly single. My late husband didn't mind the loose skin. For me, it's a stressor to think about IF I someday want to have another relationship how self-conscious i'd be. I try not to worry and meanwhile will be doing lots of squats, lunges and leg lifts. Realistically, it's going to require plastic surgery, but I'm giving it a year.
  • rhye
    rhye Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I guess I have spent so time trying to motivate myself with "after" pictures of large weight loss that the loose skin has almost become a part of my ideal body image. Does that make sense? When I see loose skin, objectively it looks bad, but subjectively-- which is all that matters when it comes to how you feel about your appearance-- I think "Wow now I look like someone who has lost a lot of weight, how awesome!"

My advice would be to look at pics of success stories and focus on how happy those people are with their gorgeous loose skin and soon you may think it's gorgeous on you as well? At least, it worked for me.
  • Pamko57
    Options
    Mine is really nasty looking. I look like someone stuck a pin in me and deflated me. I need plastic surgery, but it's not in the cards. The only thing I can do is make sure that I look as good as a I can given the limitations. I wouldn't trade looking great in my clothing and feeling great for the weight I was carrying around.

I did okay until I got sick in July and wasn't able to work out. It will be okay. I'm not going to be wearing bikinis around anytime soon.
  • Knsclptr30
    Options
    What was your starting weight and bodyfat % when you first started then and now?
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Mine is really nasty looking. I look like someone stuck a pin in me and deflated me. I need plastic surgery, but it's not in the cards. The only thing I can do is make sure that I look as good as a I can given the limitations. I wouldn't trade looking great in my clothing and feeling great for the weight I was carrying around.

I did okay until I got sick in July and wasn't able to work out. It will be okay. I'm not going to be wearing bikinis around anytime soon.

You sound just like me. I will be 51 in April and, after a twin birth by c-section plus being overweight my entire adult life, I KNOW my skin won't shrink. I am looking into surgery next year. In the mean time, even though I hate the way I look like a bowl of jello, at least I know that it is skin and not fat causing the jiggle. Being healthy and fit for the first time in my life is well worth it!
  • Knsclptr30
    Options
    You have lost 92 lbs that is good but what was your starting weight and bf % and your current stats?
  • Knsclptr30
    Options
    The problem here is losing too much muscle mass while dropping body weight that is a huge mistake
  • LJA1968
    LJA1968 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Pamko57
    Options
    I worked out the whole time I was dropping weight, so I have good muscle mass. Just age and loss of elasticity. I know I need a tummy tuck. I always have. I have a bikini scar from surgery at 14, then three pregnancies and being overweight most of adult mean that apron is just not going anywhere.

I have an appointment with a plastic surgeon next week, just a free consultation to see where I am, what he thinks and how much it will all cost.