trying for a baby and slimming down?

Options
sioark55
sioark55 Posts: 52 Member
Hi There,

I would like some advice/thoughts/experiences please :-)

My husband and I are trying for a baby, however at the same time I am trying to slim down a bit. I am really struggling not to feel 'oh, sod it; im just going to let myself go because I will become a blob anyway'.

Having decided that I am going to give it a really good go I have started to wonder how I can loose weight and still have a body that is receptive to conceiving. I worry that being on a calorie controlled diet and exercising could prevent me getting pregnant as quickly as I might otherwise.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this :-)

Or, even better... feel free to add me if you think it is something you could support me with. In return, I can support you as I log every day and am good at checking out my mates on here :-)

:)

Replies

• athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are starting from overweight, then losing a few pounds can reduce your risk of some complications - not to mention give you less weight to carry around in the later months when you're already feeling exhausted. Here's something they don't tell you - lower body fat means a better chance at getting a nice clear ultrasound picture, which is one of the nicest bits of the pregnancy!

I don't think watching your calories should prevent you from conceiving as long as you are sensible about it - keeping your deficit modest and making sure you're getting really good nutrition from the food you are eating. Perhaps try to think about it as getting your body as healthy as possible for the task ahead rather than slimming down.

Not everyone gains a lot during pregnancy but don't give in to the 'sod it' urge! You'll feel better if you keep to a healthy lifestyle while you wait. And good luck...
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading "What to Expect BEFORE You're Expecting" because I'm wondering the same thing. Pretty much, just be healthy. You want to give the baby the healthiest foundation possible. So make sure you're getting your nutrients.
  • theplumgirl
    Options
    What RebekahR84 said...if you're trying for a baby..just be healthy..do lots of exercise but eat well...your stores and nutrition are the foundation of your babe to be....I suggest stuff along the lines of 'The Natural Way to Better Babies' by Francesca Naish...contrary to popular belief - some fat is needed for the building of babies...just chose the right stuff really and try not to stress...happy babymaking.
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    thoughts are you are taking on too much at once to be honest. nothing wrong with eating healthily and exercising etc tho
  • sioark55
    sioark55 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do feel like it is a bit of a 'have cake and eat it' scenario... also I had my last child when I was quite young and I feel really anxious about my body not bouncing back like it did before, I know I shouldn't expect it to because I am over 10 years older now, but I really can't help wanting it to :-\