I ran an 8 minute mile

Options
Hi everyone

I know this won't be a big deal to all the real runners out there, but I have only been doing this for about 3 months and have had to stop for three weeks due to being ill. I started the C25K and struggled with a minute and a half of running when I first started. But last night I ran a full mile in 8 minutes, I just couldn't believe it. I was so pleased I could have cried with joy. I am just loving the feeling you get from going out running, the feeling of freedom is amazing. I have never been a runner and have always watched with envy those running past me with their water bottle in hand. So anyone out there who is just starting the C25K and finding it hard, keep it up and one day we will be running that 5K. I'm hoping to be running it comfortably by the end of the year, and if I am, I will be putting in for the Race for Life in aid of Breast Cancer next year. Thanks just wanted to share my success with you all. :bigsmile:

Replies

• Montarosa456
    Montarosa456 Posts: 133
    Options
    Huge congrats to you! It's the best feeling in the world and who cares if some people are faster..many are slower..you got and out ran..that makes you a REAL RUNNER :D
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    Wow that's fantastic!! Well done. I've been running 2 or 3 years now. Can do a decent distance now but my pace is stuck at 9.5/10 min miles. No wonder you cried with joy. Very impressive :flowerforyou:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Fantastic you should be proud
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Well done! Especially in this weather! Amazing!
  • Sailfindragon
    Sailfindragon Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Absolutely wonderful. Congratulations.

I am on week 2 of c25k and loving it so far.
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Aww thanks everyone, I just love getting out there. The weather has been a little hot, but I have been going out later in the evening when it has cooled down, I also run along a canal path so much cooler near the water. Just can't stop smiling today.
  • NathanielUK
    NathanielUK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thats a very good pace.

But are you looking to run races or just consistant running? I mean fair play but when it comes to loseing weight you need distance over pace.
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi Nathaniel, I am looking to just run, I do want to do some charity races, but I'm not bothered about winning races. I know I have to slow down to move on to further distances and to lose weight. Thanks for the advice, think I just wanted to test my body to see how it would cope, and how fast I could run a mile.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Outstanding! You rock!
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    That's faster than me, so just awe and admiration from this direction :smile:
  • MikeyParkin1
    MikeyParkin1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well done.
    I done a 5k the other day and i ran 2 of the miles in under 10 min (each) my aim is to get down to a solid 9 minute mile in time for the great north run. i to am starting to love running, i live right on the coast and over the past week I've been running and walking a lot by the coast it lush. although where there is no wind its very hot one of the big change i have made is running with water i always used to run holding a bottle of water and as much as i don't think the weight done anything it tires your arm out and holding on to something stops the freedom of your hands. since i stopped carrying a bottle i have been much faster.

Again well done that is a really good time.
  • PlaysLikeAGirl
    PlaysLikeAGirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Daaaang girl, way to go!
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    That is no small accomplishment! Congrats on it and keep kicking *kitten*!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YIPPEE!, now do 12!
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Wow that is amazing! You do have something to be really proud of!
  • Montarosa456
    Montarosa456 Posts: 133
    Options
    Thats a very good pace.

But are you looking to run races or just consistant running? I mean fair play but when it comes to loseing weight you need distance over pace.

Hmmmm, not always! You can burn some serious calories over a short sharp run and if your eating at a defect also you'll lose weight! Personally I think it's best to go out and enjoy a long steady run and then also focus on short fast run's. By doing this you can work on speed, fat burning and endurance...It shouldn't always be just about weight loss, it should be about freedom, enjoyment and loving the fact our bodies can run.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Actually, for having only been running a short time, an 8:00 min mile for a female your age is pretty good so you have some natural talent going for you. If you put in the training I expect you will soon be placing high in your age group in all local races.
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    very impressive you have every right to be proud.. don't minimize it
  • Spikethered
    Spikethered Posts: 108
    Options
    Gret time, well done!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I have been running a year and completed a marathon and nowhere near 8 minutes as a fastest mile.

what an amazing achievement!

congrats!!