Dry eye syndrome during second pregnancy

Options
annitaajones
annitaajones Posts: 3 Member
Hello everyone,
I am in the second trimester of my pregnancy. I am a great fitness freak, and I had put on a lot of weight post my first delivery. So, this time I am really careful, and I do not want to put on a lot of weight. But now, I have been diagnosed with dry eye syndrome. I have heard that dry eye syndrome may be developed by some ladies in their second pregnancy. On my research online, I got to know that dry eye is when the tear film coating the eye evaporates too quickly because of insufficient oil (lipid) content, and it causes a lot of problems in reading, watching television, and blurry eyesight too and I do face all this. What I want to know is, is it in any way related to my diet? I mean, is it because of my careful food habits? And what should I be careful of now? Will the medicines that I take affect my baby in any way ? Please advice me if anyone has gone through any similar situation. Thank you so much for helping.

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    nobody responsible should prescribe stuff to a pregnant woman without considering those implications. so if you're not confident your provider has thought of that and/or they didn't bring that factor up, you should totally ask. the pharmacist who fills the prescription would be a backup line of inquiry.

more generally: all that comes to my mind is sjogren's syndrome. that doesn't mean you have it, just saying that that's my own only experience with dry eyes. freakiest of all was the way they burned if water got into them.

i drove myself mad wondering what the photon i was doing 'wrong', and it turned out to be my own immune system so nothing to do with myself or my diet/whatever at all. you don't say who diagnosed the issue, i.e. gp or optometrist or whoever, but i'd follow it up with whoever is monitoring your pregnancy.