Favorite Marathon Training Program?

Options
I am really hoping to find a great formal marathon training program as my husband just paid my entrance for Banff 2017! I am super excited and want to perform well so I figured a program would likely be the best way to train up.

Not sure if it matters but I presently run about 60km or more per week, the spread is usually 4-5 days of 11km runs and Saturday HM length when my husband is home to watch the kids. So I do run, but am not close to running marathon on a regular basis obviously either.

TIA!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon gets a good reputation
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I second HH. I appreciate the different options for training. I'm on week 3/12 for the HM training - I'm doing the Novice 2 .
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I used Higdon's Intermediate 2 plan for my first marathon and really liked it. I finished pretty much when I expected/hoped and enjoyed the training (as much as you can when your long runs take over 3 hours.) Which level plan you choose depends on your base mileage. You don't want to go backwards, so find a plan that starts at the mileage you are used to doing. If you are used to doing speedwork regularly, you might like Pete Pfitzinger. His plans include weekly speedwork, which HH doesn't except for his Advanced plan.