Why it pays to log your calories

Options
Yesterday was a miserable day. My AC broke (90 degree heat) and when I tried on a pair of capris I haven't worn in ages (thinking they might fit) I broke the zipper. It was a bad day. However, I was going to cheer myself up by going bowling with my sister and her BF. Well, I wound up going to Outback for dinner and we decided to have a 'bad' night. I hadn't prepared for it, I wasn't even super hungry because of the food I had at the bowling alley.

Oh well. It was a 'bad' meal.

Funny thing is, I couldn't just eat whatever. I picked at little amounts of food; bite here and there. I couldn't finish anything. They didn't have the dessert I wanted either. This morning I woke up and decided that I had had too much success over the last 4 weeks to not log those overages. I logged it and was amazed that I barely went over my calorie count! I had worked out more than usual yesterday and it covered nearly everything.

Now this morning I feel energized to begin again today and keep trucking on. Log your calories even if you eat over!

Replies

• sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a miserable day. My AC broke (90 degree heat) and when I tried on a pair of capris I haven't worn in ages (thinking they might fit) I broke the zipper. It was a bad day. However, I was going to cheer myself up by going bowling with my sister and her BF. Well, I wound up going to Outback for dinner and we decided to have a 'bad' night. I hadn't prepared for it, I wasn't even super hungry because of the food I had at the bowling alley.

Oh well. It was a 'bad' meal.

Funny thing is, I couldn't just eat whatever. I picked at little amounts of food; bite here and there. I couldn't finish anything. They didn't have the dessert I wanted either. This morning I woke up and decided that I had had too much success over the last 4 weeks to not log those overages. I logged it and was amazed that I barely went over my calorie count! I had worked out more than usual yesterday and it covered nearly everything.

Now this morning I feel energized to begin again today and keep trucking on. Log your calories even if you eat over!

Yep, I always do this. I either find that I didn't do that bad after all, or I do bad and get pissed at myself and bust my *kitten* even harder in the gym. Honesty is the best policy, especially with yourself. Good job!
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I am trying to create better habits with food mentally as well as in practice.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're changing your mindset, which is a big part of the battle. They didn't have the dessert you wanted, so you just (I assume) didn't get dessert. You're also learning how to eat in restaurants that could be a disaster and exercise moderation.
  • mfclingan
    mfclingan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Congrats for being honest with your self and logging it all instead of getting angry with yourself and REALLY binging!
  • emilycarr71404
    Options
    It sounds like you're changing your mindset, which is a big part of the battle. They didn't have the dessert you wanted, so you just (I assume) didn't get dessert. You're also learning how to eat in restaurants that could be a disaster and exercise moderation.

I didn't get dessert. The waitress tried really hard to try and coax me with other desserts but I didn't cave! I feel more hopeful that seeing these changes in myself will result in long term change and loss.
  • rtjenny
    rtjenny Posts: 51
    Options
    I totally agree to log the calories even if you feel like you had a blow out - when you do your monthly average values it doesn't look that bad overall. Plus you want an accurate amount of calories to keep track of your progress.

That being said - although I do log my calories on my 'bad days' I do feel a bit of guilt as I think I've worked so hard is this going to ruin it? My bad calories comes from gin & tonics and champagne! Hard to log those after a night out!!
  • emilycarr71404
    Options
    Oddly enough I didn't feel bad about the pina colada I had. I felt worse because I had cheese and bacon covered fries.
  • kejw08
    kejw08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I have a hard time tracking when I know that I have gone way over on calories but over all it doesn't help us if we only put down what looks good on paper.

There is a weight loss quote I found that really resonated with me : "Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down" -unkown
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough I didn't feel bad about the pina colada I had. I felt worse because I had cheese and bacon covered fries.

It took me a while to train the family,but even my husband will remind them.I refuse to eat out unless I know where they are going ,in time for me to check out nutrition for that place.

They wouldn't think of urging poor food choices on a diabetic,so why do it with someone on a healthy food plan ? The last time we ate in a high calorie place on spur of the moment,I ask the waiter not to bring a menu,then told him what I wanted to order.The food was great & only 200 calories over my usual dinner total.

It's too much work,counting calories,journaling,exercising etc to choose to blow a days work. We're all a work in progress,just doing the best we can
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. There is no way you can accurately measure progress over time if you have big blanks in the middle of your recording. And FWIW, going over (a deficit target) isn't that bad anyway. Depending on your goals on here, you may end up at maintenance or slight surplus and just remember that it would take going over your maintenance cals by 3500 to put on 1lb of fat. So if you are over maintenance by 500 for example that really is quite minimal and easily made up in the future.
  • sylnova
    sylnova Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I agree! My family teases me for logging calories from big family meals, saying "what for? You're way beyond your target, so who cares?" Well, I care. Even if at times that means taking mental pictures of what I eat and log it the next day with the best estimate I can make.
    There's no point in logging good days only. Bad days happen and we have to learn to deal with them also.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    "Log your calories even if you eat over!"

Agree fully with this.

I didn't log one day, I knew it was because I went way over and I felt guilty. But unless I am honest with myself, I will not succeed at losing weight. So now I log EVERY BITE. Even yesterday, my wife cut off 1 bite of her sub. I logged it. I even logged communion from Sunday. It's obsessive. But to succeed, I have to log every calorie.
  • arkansas300
    arkansas300 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Great job. For the first time in my life myfitness is one program that helps me stay grounded to my healthy eating.
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think we are neighbors.
    Yesterday was very hot and Humid in Springfield, Mo
    Today is another hot one

I log every morsel I put in my mouth, even if it makes me go over.
    It really keeps me motivated.

Yesterday we went to Incredible Pizza and I did eat a lot.
    My Lunch was 700 calories, but I then went for a small dinner last night and no evening snack.
    Still met my calorie goal

Guess what, I lost 1 pound when I weighed this morning.