Zucchini!

tc41586
tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
I picked the first zucchini from my garden last night! Hubby does not like zucchini, but I want it for dinner tonight. Who has some good zucchini recipes??? Let's hear them!

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Gnocchi with Zucchini Ribbons & Parsley Brown Butter
    Makes: 4 servings, 1 1/2 cups each

Ingredients-
    1 pound fresh or frozen gnocchi
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 medium shallots, chopped
    1 pound zucchini, (about 3 small), very thinly sliced lengthwise
    1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    Freshly ground pepper, to taste
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

Directions-
    1.Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Cook gnocchi until they float, 3 to 5 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
    2.Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until the butter is beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add shallots and zucchini and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, salt, nutmeg and pepper and continue cooking, stirring often, until the tomatoes are just starting to break down, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in Parmesan and parsley. Add the gnocchi and toss to coat. Serve immediately.

Nutrition (per serving)-
    424 calories
    10 g fat
    25 mg cholesterol
    66 g carbohydrates
    17 g protein
    5 g fiber
    753 mg sodium
    539 mg potassium
  • tc41586
    yum!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    I've got no extraordinary recipes, but I was just gifted a zucchini that weighs just over 2 and one quarter pounds. I could just make it into fridge pickles, or relish, but I'm always open to other ideas so I'll be watching this thread with interest. :smile:
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Zucchini cakes, zucchini tots, mix it into pasta sauce to make it more filling, slice it up and grill it, layer it as a replacement for noodles in lasagna, sliced or diced and cooked with fajita seasoning for fajitas/tacos, muffins (duh), hollow it out and fill with sauce and protein for a zucchini boat, oh the possibilities!
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    We get HUGE zucchini's out of the garden. I don't care for zucchini that much so I'll either grate it or put it in food processor and then freeze bags in 2 cup portions. In the winter I'll make zucchini bread with it or just add a bag to a box of chocolate cake mix (no eggs, oil or anything) with just a small amount of water. Makes a great chocolate cake!
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Zucchini bread, zucchini mixed with pasta and tomatoes and I just saw one on facebook for zucchini chips in the slow cooker... i'll have to jump back and link it.

http://skinnyms.com/oven-baked-zucchini-chips/
  • Sauted with Lowry's. Bring it on!
  • aries7298
    aries7298 Posts: 225 Member
    Have you tried baked stuffed zucchini?
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 429 Member
    One of my faves is so simple & great when you have just one or two or when zucchini and squash available.
    Extra virgin olive oil lightly in a pan with lots of sliced onion & the sliced zucchini. Sprinkle with garlic and pepper. Cook til al dente~ Enjoy,
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    If you've got a good sized zucchini, slice it in half lengthways and scoop out the flesh, leaving the skins intact. Fry the flesh with some onion and bacon. When it's cooked put it back in the skin and sprinkle with some bread crumbs mixed with grated cheese. Put it in the oven till cheese melts and breadcrumbs are golden brown

I deliberately haven't listed quantities as it's very easily adjustable to suit your personal taste and calorie goals.
  • Zucchini Tapas

Slice Zucchini (we call them courgettes in UK!) into 3/4 inch slices on a diagonal. Rub them witha little salt and olive oil. Grill them on a ridged pan so that nice blackened lines appear. Turn them over and do the same. This takes more time than you'd think! Then drizzle them with honey and mix with thinly sliced pecorino cheese - I didn't have any so used parmesan pared with a potato peeler, but I think any sharp cheese would be nice - feta?

Even my husband who does not like courgettes acknowledged this was nice.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    After reading this thread I feel a little boring, but I usually just cut it half lengthwise, drizzle with oil and spices and cook it cut side down on the grill until it's browned. The cut side gets soft and carmelized, while the uncut side keeps a little crunch (I don't like them mushy).
  • Tiramisu1
    Tiramisu1 Posts: 15 Member
    3 cups sliced zucchini
    2 cups sliced green pepper
    1 cup sliced onion
    2 fresh tomatoes, chopped (or 1 large can chopped or stewed tomatoes)
    2 tsps. Italian seasoning
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Saute onion (in 1 tablespoon olive oil) till soft (about 5 minutes); add zucchini and green pepper and saute about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and seasoning last and simmer about 10 minutes.

I use this as a side dish, and if there are leftovers, it tastes better the second day. :)
  • If you want something your husband may eat, you could try this: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hide-the-Veggies-Please-Summer-Squash-and-Zucchini-Corn-Casserole/Detail.aspx?evt19=1

I made some last night and it was good. My mom isn't a fan of most veggies, but liked it because you really just taste the corn. So, not great if you are wanting the zucchini flavor
  • aanderson317
    aanderson317 Posts: 17 Member
    Sauted with Lowry's. Bring it on!

I saute Zucchini all the time, but I'd never thought of using Lowry's - thanks for the idea!
  • tc41586
    just add a bag to a box of chocolate cake mix (no eggs, oil or anything) with just a small amount of water. Makes a great chocolate cake!

must try!
  • tessaeve
    tessaeve Posts: 75 Member
    Made this last night. It was a hit with two non-veggie men.

Oven-Baked Zucchini Fries

makes approximately 8 servings
    Ingredients
    3 zucchini (1 lb.)
    1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
    1 packet Shake & Bake Coating Mix
    1 small egg

Method:

Heat oven to 450ºF.
    Trim the zucchini -cut crosswise in half, then cut each piece into 1/4-inch sticks. Add cheese to coating mix in shaker bag; shake gently to combine.
    Whisk egg in medium bowl. Add zucchini; toss to coat. Use tongs to place 1/4 of the zucchini in shaker bag; close bag and shake to evenly coat. Spread onto baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining zucchini.
    Bake for 12 to 13 min. or until golden brown, turning the baking tray 180 degrees after 7 min to facilitate even baking.
  • tc41586
    If you've got a good sized zucchini, slice it in half lengthways and scoop out the flesh, leaving the skins intact. Fry the flesh with some onion and bacon. When it's cooked put it back in the skin and sprinkle with some bread crumbs mixed with grated cheese. Put it in the oven till cheese melts and breadcrumbs are golden brown

I deliberately haven't listed quantities as it's very easily adjustable to suit your personal taste and calorie goals.

o.m.g.