How to gain weight and have flat tummy at the same time?

Options

Replies

• bella061016
    bella061016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    eat clean... low carbs, low sugar, low fats, and take sufficient proteins & fibers...most importantly, train hard
  • Northerncyclist234
    Options
    Eat at a surplus of 250-500 calories per day, eat a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein per kg of weight, lifting weights and strength training, avoid eating too much processed or sugary foods, eat whole foods as much as possible but as the poster above said, as long as your macros are Ok it doesn't matter too much what you eat to reach them. That's about it really, different things will work for different people, I have gained 7lbs in the past 4 months but am actually leaner than when I started. Best of luck to you!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    eat clean... low carbs, low sugar, low fats, and take sufficient proteins & fibers...most importantly, train hard

No to most of this. Food choices do not matter as long as calories and macros are ok. My advice would be;

-Start off lean
    -Small caloric surplus
    -Eat sufficient protein
    -Progressive lifting

Pretty much. You can never completely eliminate fat gain while gaining weight but that helps keep it at an acceptable amount.
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    VERY carefully
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It's all about the size of the surplus and whether or not you genetically store fat in the tummy area.
  • icanhealthyou
    icanhealthyou Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's all about the size of the surplus and whether or not you genetically store fat in the tummy area.

Following this thread, and I do genetically store fat in my stomach. What would you recommend when this is the case? Smaller surplus?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Following this thread, and I do genetically store fat in my stomach. What would you recommend when this is the case? Smaller surplus?

The best option is to get as lean as you can to start with and then bulk with a small surplus. As a woman you could hope to gain 1lb of muscle a month so you don't want to be gaining more than 2lbs a month in reality.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options

No to most of this. Food choices do not matter as long as calories and macros are ok. My advice would be;

-Start off lean
    -Small caloric surplus
    -Eat sufficient protein
    -Progressive lifting

I'm doing it like this and over 5 months, I have put on about 4 lbs. I'm trying really hard to gain muscle while keeping my body fat in the 19-20 % range. It's tough, but I seem to be able to do it. The muscle gains are slower I guess, but my former PT told me I've put on 4 lbs of muscle with a scan.

I've been getting nay sayers saying this is not possible, but I have only increased my cals by 200 per day since I started lifting heavy. It's working for me.

I'm also consuming 100 grams of protein per day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    serapel wrote: »

-Start off lean
    -Small caloric surplus
    -Eat sufficient protein
    -Progressive lifting

I'm doing it like this and over 5 months, I have put on about 4 lbs. I'm trying really hard to gain muscle while keeping my body fat in the 19-20 % range. It's tough, but I seem to be able to do it. The muscle gains are slower I guess, but my former PT told me I've put on 4 lbs of muscle with a scan.

I've been getting nay sayers saying this is not possible, but I have only increased my cals by 200 per day since I started lifting heavy. It's working for me.

I'm also consuming 100 grams of protein per day.

again, you did not gain 100% muscle...this is not naysayers this is not scientifically possible...if you have a gain of four pounds then it is either going to be about a 1:1 ratio for males or a .75:1.25 ratio for females...
  • serapel
    Options
    but re-comp IS possible no? I've been reading about it. You can gain muscle more slowly in a re-comp. My waist measurements are still the same too and I always gain evenly (fat).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2016
    Options
    serapel wrote: »
    but re-comp IS possible no? I've been reading about it. You can gain muscle more slowly in a re-comp. My waist measurements are still the same too and I always gain evenly (fat).

Yes, recomp is possible. It's possible that you saw some muscle gain in that 4 lbs. It's also possible that some of that 4 lbs was fat, glycogen storage, water weight from sodium, increase food waste and more. It's hard to tell without a DEXA scan. Assuming it's 100% muscle is probably not right. The reason you may not notice that fat gains, is your body fat % isn't changing much. As an example:

Female at 120 @ 20% BF (96 lbs of lbm) gains 10 lbs .

If she gained 1/4 muscle, that would be 2.5lbs (98.5 lb of muscle). This would put her at 24.2% bf
    If she gained 100% fat, that would maintain lbm at 96, weight at 130, and body fat 26.1%.

Who would you think would look more lean?

In the end, it really doesn't matter as long as you are happy with body.
  • hansonmedical2
    hansonmedical2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to do...of course genetics play a big role in it.
  • serapel
    Options
    I wish I could do it haha