IS IT BAD? IF i intake less then my goal Calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yes, true, average over a few days is what matters - being under goal on a specific day is no big deal as long as you over goal on other days.

PERSISTENT undereating is a problem, though.

Average over more than a few days

Over a week for calorie intake

Over 6-8 weeks for monitoring scale weight
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    Options
    I personally average my calorie intake over a week. My feeling is that eating under goal for more than four or five days in a row is unwise. Personally I never eat under 1200 total on any given day and I do not eat under 1500 net (my actual goal) for more than 6 days in a row. Usually it's more like 4.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,227 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey guys - this thread was cleaned up to remove some discussion that was a violation of community guidelines. Please be aware that using MyFitnessPal to achieve dangerously low levels of caloric intake is a violation of guidelines.

If your post was removed but you did NOT violate guidelines, please be aware that I really hate the quote feature, and to save myself the headache (and occasional embarrassment) of dealing with those, they were removed too (or they may not have made sense in context of the OP's post, so were removed to alleviate confusion).

Thanks,
    JustSomeEm
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    What is considered a VLCD? Is it 800 intake calories? I eat roughly 1400 but net only 600 or so per day recently. The past 5 days Im 5k under my 1950 per day goal.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    What is considered a VLCD? Is it 800 intake calories? I eat roughly 1400 but net only 600 or so per day recently. The past 5 days Im 5k under my 1950 per day goal.

Technical standards, yes, that is VLCD. However, I'm not always so quick to jump on the "up your calorie" bandwagon because people are often inaccurate in their counting without a food scale or overestimate calorie goals. Pay attention to your losses. If you're losing quicker than projected, you need to up the calories. Do not wait for negative side effects because they often come secondary down the road (which is the dangerous part). But if you're losing at the rate projected, chances are, you are eating more than you think and don't necessarily need to up the calories.

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options

600 net is VLCD. You are supposed to eat back exercise calories on MFP NEAT.

If you are going by TDEE minus a deficit like subtracting 500 calories off daily, for instance, to lose a pound a week then you do not eat back exercise calories.
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

If you are going by TDEE minus a deficit like subtracting 500 calories off daily, for instance, to lose a pound a week then you do not eat back exercise calories.

Thanks vespiquenn and Debsozo. Im not real savvy on all the acronyms TDEE but used my googlefu to figure out what your talking about.

I'm not going to thread jack, I'm back on MFP after failing once again this is my first week. Basically I had MFP setup the 1950 calories of food but I've been trying to hit 800+ calories a day and if I can keep my eating down below 1950 or well below, not eat the calories back I hope to drop it like its hot...once again. I lost 40 pounds in 3 months a couple years ago, Im looking to lose that same 40 I regained in the same 3 months time period.

I'll continue lurking and reading....thanks for explaining that for me!
  • kenb0616
    kenb0616 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mas_Anwar - Looking through this thread I don't know that anyone has actually answered your question. A lot of responses seemed veer into VLDC flame wars of some sort.

You asked if simply consuming less than your daily caloric goal of 1650 is harmful? First, assuming you were not medically advised by a doctor that you require 1650 cals for health reasons then I have to assume this is a personally set goal yes? If so how did you arrive at 1650?

You likely know already 1650 cals is roughly the amount necessary maintain a weight of 165lbs without consideration to additional exercise. If that is the estimated guide you are using then no a 400 cal difference in consuming 1200 vs. 1650 in a single day is not harmful to you.

It truly depends on your daily nutritional intake. You could get all 1650 calories from fatty cheese burgers ( or fish n chips mate ;-) or 1200 calories from a balanced intake of complex/simple carbs, clean protein and foods with nutrients your body actually needs and be far healthier.

Overall, your choices in diet, workout, lifestyle, etc. should be made based on your goals. If general health and fitness are your goals then 45-60 minutes of cardio with a quality nutritional diet will serve you well. Beyond that I would need to know more about what you're trying to achieve and where you're starting from to be more specific. Please, feel free to message anytime.

Btw - I've read your profile and God bless you man. I too raised a special needs child and can relate.

Cheers

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

Thanks vespiquenn and Debsozo. Im not real savvy on all the acronyms TDEE but used my googlefu to figure out what your talking about.

I'm not going to thread jack, I'm back on MFP after failing once again this is my first week. Basically I had MFP setup the 1950 calories of food but I've been trying to hit 800+ calories a day and if I can keep my eating down below 1950 or well below, not eat the calories back I hope to drop it like its hot...once again. I lost 40 pounds in 3 months a couple years ago, Im looking to lose that same 40 I regained in the same 3 months time period.

I'll continue lurking and reading....thanks for explaining that for me!

40 in three months is too fast. That tells me you are eating too little to fuel the workouts you are doing. Plus, you didn't maintain it, which suggests whatever you did worked temporarily. Why not slow it down, be healthy, and learn new habits that will make it a lasting change?