Foods & IBD? (Crohn's?)

Options
Hello, I'm being tested for Crohn's disease etc, and was wondering what foods are good to avoid, my gastroenterologist has already said I have inflammation in my small intestine (after doing a scope) and I have the following symptoms: (fevers, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, bloating, less appetite, etc) So yeah, just wondering when I DO get hungry what foods can be more helpful for now, anyone else have IBD or Crohn's and know how to cope? I've been having these symptoms for over a year and whatever food I eat doesn't seem to help.... Thanks in advance!

NOTE:
I have gone lactose free

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I do not have Crohn's however a good friend does. It is my understanding that everyone has different trigger foods to avoid. I would try what your nutritionist advises to start with and refine from there.
  • amrluvarr
    amrluvarr Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have crohn's and I tend to eat a bland diet when in flares and cut back on fruit and veggies (only cooked veggies and fruit like bananas and applesauce). I avoid dairy and gluten. I also cut back on red meat. I am doing an elimination diet at the moment (Auto-immune paleo) to try and narrow down my trigger foods. Unfortunately, trigger foods are different for every person. My cousin has crohn's and her food triggers are completely difference from mine.

This website http://www.crohnsforum.com/ has a lot of great information from other people with crohn's disease.

Also, I've been through many GI doctors and some think diet doesn't make a difference. Either way, talk to you doctor about your diet. Crohn's can be very depleting so you want to make sure you are getting the proper nutrients.

Best of luck to you! It's not always an easy disease to navigate but you will get better with time!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different but I find fiber, lactose, red meat and basically anything hard to digest a killer on my system
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm going through these tests again at the moment. I'm asking for a dietician at the end of it as I'm on a lot of medication for other conditions and I've tried and failed many times to figure oug my trigger foods. I've got to go back for another scope under a general anaesthetic as I'm still testing high on the calprotectin tests. Happy to be there with you for the ride if you add me.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm going through these tests again at the moment. I'm asking for a dietician at the end of it as I'm on a lot of medication for other conditions and I've tried and failed many times to figure oug my trigger foods. I've got to go back for another scope under a general anaesthetic as I'm still testing high on the calprotectin tests. Happy to be there with you for the ride if you add me.

The triggers generally opposite of what most peiplw think. Raw vegetables and fruits are triggers for most ibd people.
  • MPJ737
    MPJ737 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey months later and I'm back, still having really bad issues, CT scans show inflammation in my small intestine and colon, colonoscopy/biopsies come back fine :/ so frustrated and just want to be diagnosed already. Still can't eat certain things without a flare up...
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Considering doing some google research on the ketogenic diet and how it works with Crohn's. I don't want to say it'll be the solution for you, but I seem to recall some people having a lot of success with it.