Joined a gym

Options
I decided to join my local gym. Plan to go three times a week and one fitness class.
My friend has said the gym is pointless as you can do all the exercises at home.
I feel that actually paying and going to the gym will make me work harder.
What's your opinion on the gym being "pointless"

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If it helps you work harder, it is not "pointless".
  • ChrisNels1
    ChrisNels1 Posts: 16,638 Member
    Options
    You Are Your Own Gym -- Mark Lauren

But, if it motivates you to move it's ALL good!!
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Your friend has never gone to a gym for any length of time. Gym vs Home is incomparable. The best way to lose weight is to lift weights and you certainly can't do that at home. I lost 95lbs from lifting at my gym (combined with good diet).
  • cxeex
    cxeex Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    brdnw wrote: »
    Your friend has never gone to a gym for any length of time. Gym vs Home is incomparable. The best way to lose weight is to lift weights and you certainly can't do that at home. I lost 95lbs from lifting at my gym (combined with good diet).

Well done!

I'm looking forward to staring
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    This is about you, not your friend. Go to the gym, you won't be sorry! Wishing you lots of success!
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym helps you find people with similar goals, and gives you access to more equipment, and weight than most people will ever have at home. You'll also gain access to trainers who can help make sure you're doing the exercises right because form>weight.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

I'm going to disagree with a lot of this. Home is WHERE you lose weight. HOME is where you'll have to keep your eating habits in check to ensure you remain in a deficit. You WILL NOT lose weight without being in a caloric deficit, no matter how hard you work out at home or in a gym. A lot of people find motivation in different areas. Some in their basement on a treadmill/elliptical/home gym, some in a commercial gym, some on a running trail, anywhere! My point is, you can lose weight without going to the gym.

For the record, I've been a member at the same gym for a very long time. I've lost weight, gained weight, and maintained weight. Find what motivates you to lose weight and stay consistent.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    The best way to lose weight is to lift weights and you certainly can't do that at home.

Sorry but this is wrong on 2 counts: 1) You do not need to lift weights to lose weight and lifting alone is not the best way to do so and 2) You can lift weights at home provided you have the room and the necessary equipment.

• brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    The best way to lose weight is to lift weights and you certainly can't do that at home.

Sorry but this is wrong on 2 counts: 1) You do not need to lift weights to lose weight and lifting alone is not the best way to do so and 2) You can lift weights at home provided you have the room and the necessary equipment.

so your home gym has dumbbells 5lbs through 125lbs, squat rack, pully machine, leg press machine, calf machines, bench press, free weights totaling >400lbs....you need to spend endless amounts of money to have something comparable at home.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I disagree with your friend, but having said that I use the squat rack, bench, lifting platforms, sled track, cage, pulleys, etc etc etc which I definitely do not have at home :)
  • aashwill
    aashwill Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    cxeex wrote: »
    My friend has said the gym is pointless as you can do all the exercises at home.

I'd be curious to know your friend's bench, squat, and deadlift.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You need to weigh and track your food. And while you CAN purchase weights, etc and workout at home, they are very expensive. Sure, over time it's cheaper than paying for a monthly gym membership, but you don't have to replace anything if it breaks.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It's a case of each to their own. I've lost 81lbs and have another 9 to go... I've never set foot in a gym! I achieved this by self motivation - I wanted it! How? Finding a way of eating that worked for me (ketogenic, LCHF), tracking both my macros and calories, educating myself, getting more active (swim a few times a week, some yoga, walking). There are no right or wrong ways. This is your journey.. you make the choices about what's right or not.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    cxeex wrote: »

sure, but does your friend buy coffee/whatever from starbucks or somewhere like that? same kind of thing. it's not pointless if it's worthwhile for you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Not pointless for me - I belong to two gyms (one is at work).
    They have equipment I don't have at home and it gives me complete focus. It's also dedicated and uninterrupted "me time".

I also workout at home and from home (cycling). Don't really see why it has to be one or the other.