Protein

Options
Hi, just got this app. I have been eating around 2500 calories normally ss oart of my weight gain however this app suggests 3000 calories daily will get me to my goals quicker. I have no problem with that however in the macros it states i should have 160g protein oer day. Now im no expert but that is 100% *kitten*. I weigh 148lbs and need no where near that level so im wondering if i switch my protein macro in this to around 100g for now is it ok to use the remaining % on the carbs or fat? Or just a mix on both

Replies

• avygyaru
    avygyaru Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The goal is to have high protein so that the calories you are eating are contributing to muscle gain instead of fat gain. If you're eating a healthy, balanced diet, the protein should be high.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You can control your goals to set what percentage of protein/fat/carbs you want, the default is just a best guess average, you don't have to stick with the default macros - I have mine set to 60f/15c/25p, there is a wide variety in what people use, so adjust them to whatever works for you.
  • mattgunnmg6496
    mattgunnmg6496 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, helps alot. I will reduce it a little but maintain high protein levels. Just wasnt sure.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2016
    Options
    No,you don't need 160g of protein, especially while gaining weight. A person generally needs .8 to 1g per lb of lean body mass. Higher levels of protein are suggested with cutting weigh to help with muscle preservation.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    No,you don't need 160g of protein, especially while gaining weight. A person generally needs .8 to 1g per lb of lean body mass. Higher levels of protein are suggested with cutting weigh to help with muscle preservation.

This is correct. You can eat more, but your minimal goal in no way should be higher than your body weight. It should be lower according to the formula stated above.
  • brentfostwood904
    brentfostwood904 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    you can read guides on macronutrient ratios, such as this one http://www.bodybuilding.com/content/macro-math-3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macro-ratios.html

Other guides might give different advice..