Running is it good for you?

Options
So I have been running more like jogging doing intervals. I run for a minute then walk for a minute and a half is that good to lose body fat?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    As was said, exercise doesn't guarantee fat loss - only eating in a calorie deficit does. That said, you can use the app to estimate your calorie burn from exercise.

Because careful with running, because of the high injury rate (>20%). If you get joint, shin or foot pain, stop running. :+1:
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    It's true that any calorie deficit will create weight loss. Running, however, does tend to be one of the most effective exercises to do this. Running is a high-impact exercise, and should be done with caution especially if you are older, fatter, or have any sort of leg, knee, foot, or ankle issues...not as a no-go, but because running is harder for these groups.
  • Lovemehatemebytchez
    Lovemehatemebytchez Posts: 119 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    ka97 wrote: »
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Because careful with running, because of the high injury rate (>20%). If you get joint, shin or foot pain, stop running. :+1:

I would love to know the source of this data.

OP - as the above posters have said, fat loss is the result of a calorie deficit. Running is a great calorie burner and will definitely help with creating that deficit, as long as you also keep your calorie intake in check.
    Running is also great for overall cardiovascular health. And most people who run will tell you it is great for mental and emotional health.
    Running too much or too hard too soon can result in injury. Doing too much of anything too soon can result in injury. It sounds like you are off to a good start. If at some point you want to increase your running intervals I suggest checking out the C25k app - it will give you a structured plan for increasing running/decreasing walking without overdoing it.

I usually eat about 1500 to 1800 calories a day and I Run 5 times a day and I'm really good at pacing myself and focusing on my breathing and yes it really does help with my mental emotional health as well. I actually use the app it's great I love it. Thank you
  • Lovemehatemebytchez
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Running is a great (and safe) way to get a good cardio if done properly.

Most people (like me) get injuries by progressing to quickly. The heart and lungs improve for running much faster than the bones, muscles, joints, etc... so people think they can go faster because their heart and lungs have improved. This causes injuries to happen.

Start slow and increase only the distance (not speed).
    Slow jogging with a smooth (less bounce) stride.
    Shorten the stride length and do more strides per minute (this will reduce impact).
    Try a heel touch/mid foot strike or even a mid/fore foot strike.
    Invest in a good pair of running shoes that are designed for impact.

Once you develop a good running style and put many miles of slower jogging, try increasing the speed very gradually and for short distances at first.

Warmup should be to loosen up the joints, slight stretching, and getting the muscles and heart rate up a little.

Cool down should focus on long stretching (no bouncing), and joint flexibility (normal range of motion).

If you do it properly it can actually help to keep your joints and bones healthy in addition to the great cardio benefits.

Good luck.

Yeah, I pace myself I got this cool app 5K to do jogging intervals. This week I've made it to 30 minutes. Which I'll do for a month before I move up my distance. Im really not a fast runner nor would I like to be mostly just focusing on my breathing. Thanks for all the great info.
  • drivennightrunner87
    Options
    It helps my anxiety, especially when i sweat...the pain that's present seems to get less pronounced over time...but u gotta stick with it....i started off power-walking and jogging slowly a bit and then got better and faster...never been in a marathon or done a race or anything like that yet
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Eating in a deficit loses body fat.

Sure, and one way to do that is exercising to create a calorie deficit! :smile:

You have a deficit regardless if you are using this site correctly for weight loss. As I stated, one can eat more food if exercising or running in this case.

With the standard setup for weight loss on MFP, once you get your true TDEE dialed in, you're already in a deficit. If you run...you don't create a deficit, because you eat back the calories assuming you have a good estimate on how many you burned along with the dialed in TDEE.
  • drivennightrunner87
    drivennightrunner87 Posts: 302 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Read my second paragraph it states this as well as you can out eat your running burns or deficit.

do u ever get really hungry after a long run/jog? i like running at night (i live in a gated area so it's safe) cause i tend to get lost in the music and enjoy the cool breeze...but i come home, shower and want to eat, especially things like pb and bananas and turkey avocado hummus sandwiches...it kinda bothers me cause i go to bed soon after
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Started running back in January, tackled a 5k in June, 10k in September and doing my first half marathon tomorrow. I really enjoy getting outdoors, fresh air, etc. as a nice start to my day. The fact that I've typically burned 300 calories by 7am is a nice benefit too. Enjoy -- and get GOOD shoes!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    ka97 wrote: »
    Cherimoose wrote: »

I would love to know the source of this data.

OP - as the above posters have said, fat loss is the result of a calorie deficit. Running is a great calorie burner and will definitely help with creating that deficit, as long as you also keep your calorie intake in check.
    Running is also great for overall cardiovascular health. And most people who run will tell you it is great for mental and emotional health.
    Running too much or too hard too soon can result in injury. Doing too much of anything too soon can result in injury. It sounds like you are off to a good start. If at some point you want to increase your running intervals I suggest checking out the C25k app - it will give you a structured plan for increasing running/decreasing walking without overdoing it.

I usually eat about 1500 to 1800 calories a day and I Run 5 times a day and I'm really good at pacing myself and focusing on my breathing and yes it really does help with my mental emotional health as well. I actually use the app it's great I love it. Thank you

5 times a day?!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Running is a great (and safe) way to get a good cardio if done properly.

Most people (like me) get injuries by progressing to quickly. The heart and lungs improve for running much faster than the bones, muscles, joints, etc... so people think they can go faster because their heart and lungs have improved. This causes injuries to happen.

Start slow and increase only the distance (not speed).
    Slow jogging with a smooth (less bounce) stride.
    Shorten the stride length and do more strides per minute (this will reduce impact).
    Try a heel touch/mid foot strike or even a mid/fore foot strike.
    Invest in a good pair of running shoes that are designed for impact.

Once you develop a good running style and put many miles of slower jogging, try increasing the speed very gradually and for short distances at first.

Warmup should be to loosen up the joints, slight stretching, and getting the muscles and heart rate up a little.

Cool down should focus on long stretching (no bouncing), and joint flexibility (normal range of motion).

If you do it properly it can actually help to keep your joints and bones healthy in addition to the great cardio benefits.

Good luck.

Yeah, I pace myself I got this cool app 5K to do jogging intervals. This week I've made it to 30 minutes. Which I'll do for a month before I move up my distance. Im really not a fast runner nor would I like to be mostly just focusing on my breathing. Thanks for all the great info.

30 minutes? That's great.

I started doing the C25K but started getting bored with the "walk for x minutes jog for x minutes" and just started increasing the jogging distance a little each time. Something about minutes ticking away just bugs me for some reason, but jogging to the next bench or tree further than I did last time is something I can see in front of me I guess. I was able to work my way up to jog 3.4 miles non stop so far.

But regardless, the main thing with cardio is finding something that you can do that keeps your heart rate in the cardio zone for "at least" 30 minutes non stop. This will give a fairly good training effect. 60 minutes will give an even better training effect.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options

Read my second paragraph it states this as well as you can out eat your running burns or deficit.

do u ever get really hungry after a long run/jog? i like running at night (i live in a gated area so it's safe) cause i tend to get lost in the music and enjoy the cool breeze...but i come home, shower and want to eat, especially things like pb and bananas and turkey avocado hummus sandwiches...it kinda bothers me cause i go to bed soon after

No reason you can't eat something after your run. Just include the calories in your daily plan. If it's a long or hard run, the recommendation is to eat both protein and carbs afterwards. The carbs renew your glycogen stores and the protein helps rebuild your muscles. The trick is to not overeat. A glass of chocolate milk works well. A banana and spoonful of peanut butter or half a sandwich would also be good. If you do a short run, eat less. I find I can't sleep if I'm really hungry, so a glass of milk or slice of cheese calms my stomach without adding a lot of calories.
  • Lovemehatemebytchez
    Options
    It helps my anxiety, especially when i sweat...the pain that's present seems to get less pronounced over time...but u gotta stick with it....i started off power-walking and jogging slowly a bit and then got better and faster...never been in a marathon or done a race or anything like that yet

Yeah I started power walking frist on the treadmill now I'm jogging but I took it much further and started jogging outside much harder than the treadmill I do have to say. I do have to say jogging does help my mental emotional health. Gotta love them and orphans. Lol
  • Lovemehatemebytchez
    Options

That sounds so nice to run at night but I get hungry after workout that's why I don't work out at night not good to eat before bed.