A desk job and losing weight

Options
matthewhumpherys582
matthewhumpherys582 Posts: 5 Member
edited November 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I work 6 hrs at a call center. How can I manage to lose weight when I'm tied to a desk and a phone all day?? I workout for an hour and half every day and try to eat healthy but I fear this is my enemy.

Replies

• colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I sit longer than you. Programmer for a call center. I work out 5x a week and manage my calories and macros.

That's all you have to do. If you're in a calorie deficit, you'll lose. If you're working out and in a calorie deficit, and managing macros and hunger, you're probably going to lose only fat. So keep at it. It does work.
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Desk job jockey here too. Still losing weight. I had my chiropractor write a note and my employer bought me a Varidesk standing desk and seat. Its great. Trying to counter the infamous 'secretary spread'.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I commute and have a desk job. I'm losing weight. Eat at a deficit and work out when you can. I still manage to get 8-10k steps a day by walking on my break and taking my dog out after work. On top of that I do Insanity Max30 at home several days a week. It can be done.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have a 50+ hour/week desk job. I exercise after my kids go to bed, and I weigh and measure my food. Lost close to 100 lbs just by sticking to tthe calorie range I need to be in to lose weight; I only started exercising as well a few months ago.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Desk job where I am often there 10 hours with 1 hour commute here (so 2 hours both ways). During the warmer months I turned that 1 hour commute into a 2 hour commute by opting to walk the entire thing. During colder months a home workout would suffice.
  • Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it!! I ended up like gaining 20 pounds just from sitting around and talking calls. I realized the best remedy is working out after work or before, and eating at a Caloric deficit, and not eating snacks from the vending machine! I always pack my snacks. You sound like you're doing good keep eating healthy, and working out!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    24 hours in a day

Walk to work and back or commute to within 2.5 miles of work and walk in and back to that point

Hit the gym on way home
    Get home and do an exercise programme

Best advice though is to quit making excuses ..none of them are adequate
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    My job is generally desk bound (but I do have freedom to get up when I want) ..I'm generally at my desk for 10 hours, happily walk 40 mins to work instead of driving for 10 and make it to the gym 2 or 3 times

And I have children who I have to cook for, clean for and parent so I'm generally at home within an hour of them getting out of school

• Sued0nim
    Options
    TBH though the title of your thread is losing weight ..the answer is eat fewer calories
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Walking to work, or part of the way at least, and walking on your break, is a great way to burn a few calories, that's what I do.

Also pack your own lunch, bought lunches are often high calorie and you're making decisions when you're hungry, which often leads to overeating.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you have a desk job I would highly recommend setting your activity level to sedentary, no matter how active you are in the evenings or on the weekends.

• kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Great advice! I have a desk job and I only recently started counting calories on November 1st but i've lost 6lbs. at my job i'm not tied to my desk either all day so between customers/projects I started walking back and forth to earn some extra steps to reach 10,000 a day
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    People who are bedridden lose weight all the time. Being stuck at a desk is not a barrier to weight loss. All you have to do is eat less in order to lose weight. If you want to improve your fitness level, be active when you are not at work.