Office parties

Options
2»

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I take a bit of what I like at parties. I don't necessarily eat all of what I put on my plate...I may actually just not be hungry for the total amount...it depends. I don't usually have anybody ask why I'm not eating, because I am wandering around with a plate. :)

I used to do this for "celebration" lunches at the office too.
  • szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This is my plan or what I have been doing. Plan for the event - exercising more that day, eating less that day and maybe the days around it. Then I will plan to indulge, but only on the things that are really worth it - items that are my favorite or that I only really see at this time of the year. I am not wasting calories on things that I only "kind of" like. And still watch portion control, such as only allow myself one trip through the food.

And I agree with the comment that I have attended many events like this and have never heard anyone comment on why someone is or is not eating.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I eat or bring a veggie platter almost every time. It helps that I love veggie platters- don't torture yourself by bringing something you don't like.
  • BridgetHarrington
    BridgetHarrington Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I tend to avoid office parties. Like someone earlier said, "If I'm letting loose, it's not with them." But if it's something I can't avoid - like holidays when people are bringing stuff in or lunches during the workday - I pre-plan by drinking a lot of water and black coffee to fill my stomach. I also have veggies in the office fridge and snack on those. If I feel full, I'm less likely to pick, and if I do, I won't eat too much of anything.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I bring my lunch and eat it before the party in my office. I almost always forget there's going to be a party unless it's a potluck and I'm contributing.

Then I take a small amount of whatever looks tasty at the party and take my time eating it. Anyone who asks why I'm not eating more gets told that I forgot and had lunch earlier, so I'm happy with just a few treats. No one ever complains.

If I bring food to a potluck, then I'm just careful about what and how much I take. I've never had anyone comment on how little I eat in that case.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    mccormf1 wrote: »
    I skip office parties all together.. If I want to let loose it's not going to be with those dweebs

I :heart: this. And agree 100%

I work 12 hr nights with people who plan parties around anything and everything (like "it's Tuesday, let's have all bring in food") so it's not just at the holidays for me. I skip the unit Christmas party because it's not at work and I prefer to be on the clock if I have to hang out with the coworkers. We do at work shift parties so I bring something like a veggie platter and just try a bit of the things I like, but with so many people eating, it's easy to rationalize just taking a spoonful or two. I did make a decision not to participate in those spur of the moment parties (someone has an urge for grilled cheese or tacos, and wants everyone to bring food in to participate) because I don't want to eat what others decide they want, it's too many and too costly etc. If I don't bring something in, I definitely don't participate. No one blinks an eye anymore. I do find preplanning my food for the day helps me see how much wiggle room I have if I decide to participate.