384 Sticks of Butter Gone Missing

The title comes from early on in my weight loss journey when I discovered counting in sticks of butter (1/4 lb pure fat) added up a lot faster than pounds...making the weight loss sound more encouraging! It also gives a really graphic visual--how could I ever have had the equivalent fat of 384 sticks of butter stuck to my body. Gross! Would that much butter even fit in a shopping cart? Lol.

So 384 sticks of butter equals 96 lbs.

I lost the first 30 lbs with strictly limiting carbs and nothing else. (I'm sure my caloric intake actually went up because I was then eating more fat. But with insulin resistance, cutting carbs has an amazing effect--until it doesn't any more.)

The second 30 lbs was continued carb restriction and serious portion control, though I still wasn't counting calories. Then that loss stopped. I treaded water for about 8 months with no progress up or down.

For the final 40 I did two things simultaneously--found MFP and started logging calories and joined a gym on my 50th birthday--first time in my life even walking into one. It was a really scary thing for me to do, not to mention I haven't really exercised since 6th grade PE class. I began doing cardio and was introduced to weight training--turns out I love them both! It's been 4 months and I've lost almost 40 lbs doing this.

I still have a ways to go--still technically obese according to the BMI chart. But I feel maybe the best I've ever felt in my life. Many medical issues have improved or gone away.

Age 50
Height 5'8"
SW 300 (As of Feb 2015)
CW 204
GW 175

rt4poqezyrv9.jpg (The pic says -100, but it's really -96)

Replies

• mecoconleche
    mecoconleche Posts: 86 Member
    Nice job, keep grinding!
  • dahliagrower11
    dahliagrower11 Posts: 39 Member
    You look fit and fantastic! Congratulations on taking control and getting to healthy!
  • allmannerofthings
    allmannerofthings Posts: 829 Member
    Wow - awesome work love the sticks of butter idea.
  • hale03071
    hale03071 Posts: 63 Member
    You look fantastic! Thank you for sharing. I was down on my self for not losing as much this week as in past weeks, it was a nice motivation to see your transformation so far. I too am 5'8" and just about the same weight.
  • Great work!
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Ooooh! That's very exciting! Look at you go! I have lost 80 sticks of butter! Love the visualization.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Lol! I took out sticks of butter when I first started losing weight too. Now, I'd need 45 pounds of it. Yes, it is a very motivating visual! Congratulations!
  • bellajan17
    bellajan17 Posts: 208 Member
    Great job!!! Can't wait until I can post in here!!
  • pandahead76
    pandahead76 Posts: 122 Member
    Wow! You are an inspiration! And I'm totally going to think of my pounds lots in butter now. 28 sticks of butter sounds like so much more than 7 pounds! :D
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Great work @JulieSHelms. You are an inspiration. <3

Cheers, h.
  • federicafezza4271
    federicafezza4271 Posts: 69 Member
    Love this! the picture made me genuinely smile at my laptop <3
  • JCFan3
    JCFan3 Posts: 146 Member
    Awesome job. Keep up the great work.
  • Luly7jc
    Luly7jc Posts: 26 Member
    Congratulations you look amazing!!!
  • The_Movie_Chair
    The_Movie_Chair Posts: 112 Member
    I like the comparison with butter. I can visualize it. You are my age, you are an inspiration. Thank you!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Congrats, Julie! You look amazing!

I can relate to the sticks of butter thing.

Just after I lost my first 10 lbs, I was in the grocery store and wanted to get a better idea of what 10 lbs really felt like. So i picked up two 5lb bags of sugar and put them in my basket. I then spend a minute continually picking up the basket and putting it back down until I got a really good feel for it.

Then put the bags of sugar back on the shelf because sugar wasn't on my shopping list.

I wonder what the security cam peeps thought I was doing? LOL.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    You look great, Julie - like a different person! :)
  • Brelynn
    Brelynn Posts: 105 Member
    You look amazing! Congrats. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!