Help me work out correctly. ;)

Options
Few stats
35, female, about 5'7.5
SW: 262
CW: 237
GW: 200(as first goal only, perhaps 140-150 as ultimate goal?)

Set to lose 1.5/wks on 1540c. Been fairly consistent with that.

Recently started back at gym, where I only eat back half of exercise calories generally. I go 3-5 times per week, dependant on work schedule.

Been doing 25-35 minutes of brisk walk/slow jog, with some time on weight machines (arms are totally weak, though I've noticed I've been able to go up on reps, sets, and weight, so YAY! LOL) alternate body area days with the strength training. Usually done for 20-40 minutes.

Right now, my main concern is losing the fat, so I know the cardio is important.

Should I primarily be doing the cardio, or continue with strength as well? I know muscle doesn't "weigh more" than fat. But is it "okay" to tone and strengthen while I'm trying to lose a lot of weight? Obviously I'm very amateur when it comes to working out. I know that you can see a gain after exercise, and it doesn't freak me out when I do, since I know about water retention and such. I just wanna make sure I'm doing the right thing. Thanks. :)

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, do both cardio and strength. Strength training helps you retain muscle and you will have a better body when you are done. I started strength training 2 1/2 years ago at 301 lbs and have continued to this day, 148 lbs lost. If anything, I've been light on cardio except for walking. No regrets. Whatsoever. You go girl!
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I appreciate the insight. and what an amazing journey and accomplishments for you!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    yup, strength work is great. it doesn't have a huge influence on weight loss, but it's great for other reasons. a lot of people (me) start right out with compound lifting and take up a programme like starting strength or stronglifts, because that's simpler than trying to put together a good isolation-work package when you're new.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a post with a lot of well respected programmes listed.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Read through it and see if any of the programmes work for you and the equipment you are using.

Start light, you can substitute dumb bells when a bar bell is called for, and concentrate on form.

Cheers, h.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Do both for the reasons stated above but also so you don't get bored! I think of the treadmill as my staple, for cardiovascular improvement and calorie burn, and then add on a big variety of things in the strength areas. I make myself little circuit workouts based on what I feel like, and keep it interesting. I have the treadmill at home and some free weights, couple of bands, a jump rope, floor mat. I think I am going to make myself a "plyo box" that I can use for leg stuff and also tricep dips as I don't have a good place to do those. I'm sure some bro science lifters would have a cow at my routines but I feel good so.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    thanks, all. :) I've been getting up at like 0330 and going to the gym before work (and actually looking forward to it, GO ME! LOL), and doing cardio, and every other day or so, going after work as well, and doing strength, and maybe cardio if time/body/mood allows.

It's amazing how my energy level and mental health has improved doing this, despite getting up at the asscrack of dawn and NOT being a morning person. :)

I appreciate all your input. I have heard "horror stories" of people gaining muscle prior to losing weight, and never getting the girlish figure they desire. I don't want to be "bumpy" and look ready for a competition, I just want to get the flab off, and tone and increase my muscles. I think it's working. When I flex, I feel more in my arm than just fat now, haha.

Gonna get up the nerve/balls to do free weights very soon!