Affordable snacks (UK)

Options
The thing I'm struggling with most is snacks at the moment. My meals are pretty balanced (ignoring the cake I had today but my mother in law baked it and brought it) and healthy, I get a big delivery of lean meat and chicken once a month from muscle foods and we don't eat processed food very often so I'm quite happy in that area but I can't seem to get snacks that fill me up enough but don't cost the earth. We're on a tight budget, I have small cheese snack a day (a baby bell light or something) and a banana but I have a tendancy to get chocolate or sweets on my way to work if I don't have an alternative in the house to take. I like nuts, and nakd bars etc but theyre so expensive! Any ideas? Or am I just going to have to try and find the money for extra food?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford branded products then make snacks... flapjacks or other snack foods like granola bars or whatever you like ...

Why you would Pay for meat delivery rather than buying when on special is surprising on a budget...you could also replace some with pulses, vegetables

Shops around ..get deals, buy when they are reduced

If you're struggling financially use the most cost effective routes

It's tough, but it's gonna get tougher unfortunately
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes, hot cereal (oatmeal), peanut butter and crackers, nuts.
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me to your friends list.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    If you can't afford branded products then make snacks... flapjacks or other snack foods like granola bars or whatever you like ...

Why you would Pay for meat delivery rather than buying when on special is surprising on a budget...you could also replace some with pulses, vegetables

I pay for a meat delivery because its a LOT cheaper and better quality than from a supermarket. I live in a rural area, I can't be driving half an hour all the time to check if meat is on offer. Meat is just as expensive as a lot of pulses over here, which is why I specified UK because certain healthy foods seem to cost more here (unless you are from the UK then I don't know why you would think buying from a store was cheeper than a musclefoods delivery).

I'm trying to curb sugars too which is why I'm avoiding making granola bars.
  • Misssynth
    Options
    Ant488 wrote: »
    Rice cakes, hot cereal (oatmeal), peanut butter and crackers, nuts.

I've just bought some oats to make oatmeal with almond milk actually, hoping having those after my run will help me last until lunch better.
    I have a real problem with rice cakes. As in... I can't stop eating them! They are good priced though.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Misssynth wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »

I pay for a meat delivery because its a LOT cheaper and better quality than from a supermarket. I live in a rural area, I can't be driving half an hour all the time to check if meat is on offer. Meat is just as expensive as a lot of pulses over here, which is why I specified UK because certain healthy foods seem to cost more here (unless you are from the UK then I don't know why you would think buying from a store was cheeper than a musclefoods delivery).

I'm trying to curb sugars too which is why I'm avoiding making granola bars.

Yes I'm British ...but meat is never sold at list price in supermarkets, it is often on deals ...although if you're rural, and not farming community, I can understand why it is more cost effective than supermarket shopping in major conurbations.

Anyway it's beside the point ... if it works for you that's fair enough

I do think that making batches of snack foods might be an option for you but I wonder about your concept of healthy foods and whether that is restricting your options
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Maybe look into making your meals more satisfying so you don't have to resort to snacking?

Whether it's protein, fat, fibre, or any other combo of things that fills you up...try different combos until you find what works for you. Even if that means adding some calories to your meals, it would balance out because you'd be taking away the cals from your snacks.
  • Misssynth
    Options
    I try to stay low carb in the week (but not NO carb) and allow myself less restriction on the weekend. My main problem which has made me gain weight is sugar, so I try and limit refined sugars as much as I can to get out of the addiction. I'd make batch snacks if I could make them low sugar and calorie. I love beef jerky and do make that myself when I see a good beef offer but thats few and far between. If you can suggest a good place to reliably buy cheaper products to make my own versions of nakd bars and flapjacks then I'd love to know!
    I do live rural, but it's plant based agriculture rather than meat, and mostly for supermarkets rather than for local people to actually buy. I also only work part time on minimum wage while I study for a degree so you can get an idea of my income (not a lot!)
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Are you at all interested in baked Indian snacks? Some are made from garbanzo, lentils, nuts, seeds, et al ... a great crunch fixation option. With a large Indian, Pakistani and Bangladesh communities in the UK minimum, they are easily available online or at an India Hill close by.

Some options are heavily spiced and mild to bland options are always available (catering to consumers who'd prefer to add their own spice or herb blends).

Pulses, grains and specialty flours are usually cheaper at their stores too.
  • 777Gemma888
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Musclefoods delivery options are great and organic. I get jealous at times when they send me alerts@offers.

ETA: My brother just told me that EAS protein bars are gr8 for that quick snack. Maximuscle protein bars, a close second. Otherwise, you may need to consider making your own, less the undesirable ingredients (+added substitute). He also added, yoghurt would be better for your budget VS cheese. Greater volume for the same price.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You could try making your own nakd bars, with just dates and cashew nuts then any kind of flavouring you like, like cacao powder, vanilla essence. Just search on YouTube for homemade energy bars, there's loads. Any sugar in them is naturally occurring not refined sugar.
    Also what about veggies dipped in hummus, Sunbites crisps, anything on oatcakes or rice cakes, smoothies.
  • Misssynth
    Options
    Are you at all interested in baked Indian snacks? Some are made from garbanzo, lentils, nuts, seeds, et al ... a great crunch fixation option. With a large Indian, Pakistani and Bangladesh communities in the UK minimum, they are easily available online or at an India Hill close by.

Some options are heavily spiced and mild to bland options are always available (catering to consumers who'd prefer to add their own spice or herb blends).

Pulses, grains and specialty flours are usually cheaper at their stores too.

I LOVE indian snacks like these. I used to work as an assistant for an indian lady and she used to give me loads, theyre lovely. I never thought about them being used as a snack though but I guess as theyre generally not potato based it makes sense. Can you suggest any in particular I can look for? I like spicey.
  • Misssynth
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    You could try making your own nakd bars, with just dates and cashew nuts then any kind of flavouring you like, like cacao powder, vanilla essence. Just search on YouTube for homemade energy bars, there's loads. Any sugar in them is naturally occurring not refined sugar.
    Also what about veggies dipped in hummus, Sunbites crisps, anything on oatcakes or rice cakes, smoothies.

Veggies in hummus is a good idea, just need to excerise control over hummus, could eat the whole tub! I've just thought of doing chickpeas in my actifry too with some seasoning to make little 'nut' style snacks.
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    Oh fabulous.

Chana dhal, haldi (rice, garbanzo, wheat) , sev (garbanzo), lakdhi (wheat, lentil, garbanzo), chevda (corn), spicy chick peas (garbanzo), khatta meetha /bombay mix ( a trail mix version)

Barfi is delicious for that milky bite. They make them unsweetened or lightly sweetened using a mozzarella/queso fresco cheesemaking style, only that they knead it and add sweetners or my preference, pistachios/ cardamom and or cinnamon.
  • Misssynth
    Options
    Oh fabulous.

Chana dhal, haldi (rice, garbanzo, wheat) , sev (garbanzo), lakdhi (wheat, lentil, garbanzo), chevda (corn), spicy chick peas (garbanzo), khatta meetha /bombay mix ( a trail mix version)

Barfi is delicious for that milky bite. They make them unsweetened or lightly sweetened using a mozzarella/queso fresco cheesemaking style, only that they knead it and add sweetners or my preference, pistachios/ cardamom and or cinnamon.

I've taken a photo of this on my phone to save for later, going to have a browse online and see what I can find. Thank you!
  • Heavyhippo
    Heavyhippo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tesco do cucumber portions for like 20p :p It's like half a cucumber for 20 calories, kickass snack to me
  • Misssynth
    Options
    Tesco do cucumber portions for like 20p :p It's like half a cucumber for 20 calories, kickass snack to me

I love cucumber. And tomatoes, we never have any in the house because I always eat them as I go past the fridge haha
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Husband often buys bags of nuts from Lidl.
  • Misssynth
    Options
    ouryve wrote: »
    Husband often buys bags of nuts from Lidl.

Yeah I do when we happen to go past one, we don't have one close by though =(