Fibromyalgia Going Grain Free

I've always functioned best on a very low carbohydrate lifestyle. Unfortunately, bread and pasta are my crack. Blood tests recently confirmed fibromyalgia, but I'm stubborn and optimistically believe by correcting my vitamin D deficiency and eliminating grains, that I don't have to wear the fibro label as a badge of honor in some mission to give up on living life. I'll do my best to keep my progress posted along with recipes and tips, but anyone with this condition knows about flare ups (that's when I give in to my addiction and take a loaf of bread to bed).

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I was at some of my worst with fibro while I was low carbing. Then again, I wasn't always practicing good sleep hygiene and was not exercising. I also hadn't reached a healthy weight.

Personally, I found that easing my way into regular exercise, developing and maintaining consistent sleep habits, and reaching a healthy weight along with being on an SSRI have been the most beneficial factors in making fibro basically a non-issue in my life.

At one time, I was nearly debilitated by it. I still have occasional flares, but they aren't that severe.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    I thought that there was no blood test for fibromyalgia, but that they do blood work to rule everything else out. Unless there is new information out?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    I found this on webmd but it does not sound conclusive.

http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/guide/fibromyalgia-diagnosis-and-misdiagnosis

I'm curious too! I have RA and there could be some correlation
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I thought that there was no blood test for fibromyalgia, but that they do blood work to rule everything else out. Unless there is new information out?

That what happened with me. Tested me for everything but fibro. I 'aced' the pressure point test and fit the bill everywhere else, too. :/

FWIW, going grain free or even low carb was actually worse for me. Both WOE increased my flare up frequency. I just eat a balanced diet with equal-ish amount of carbs, fats and proteins.