Do I need a reality check?

Options
124»

Replies

• Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Maaike84 wrote: »

Look, this joints and tendons thing - I am 32, and I have that too (very hypermobile). So I'd say that doesn't necessarily have to do anything with age. Listen to your body and not to other people- you got this!

Thank you!
  • Grey_1
    Options
    Don't let the voices get to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JWePnHeniM
    My wife and I watched her the other night. Just amazing, she leaves me with no excuses :D lol....very inspirational
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hey, Grey_1, it looks like you got the reality check you needed, just not the one you expected! :smiley:

Stay positive. You got this.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Just be safe and ease into new things, but I would tell a 20 year old the same thing. I've seen 70 year old dudes running trails with ease, and I've seen 18 year olds nearly pass out trying to walk up the same exact hills.

I think it's more about conditioning than age. Do what you want and ignore the haters- just make sure you support your activities with proper nutrition, rest & recovery.
  • Grey_1
    Options
    sbrandt37 wrote: »
    Hey, Grey_1, it looks like you got the reality check you needed, just not the one you expected! :smiley:

Stay positive. You got this.
    You are so right! LoL, EVERYTHING has changed, and it's awesome :) I didn't know how much that crappy negative attitude was taking out of me.

Thanks @sbrandt37 :)
    Just be safe and ease into new things, but I would tell a 20 year old the same thing. I've seen 70 year old dudes running trails with ease, and I've seen 18 year olds nearly pass out trying to walk up the same exact hills.

I think it's more about conditioning than age. Do what you want and ignore the haters- just make sure you support your activities with proper nutrition, rest & recovery.

Thanks @courtneyfabulous - my wife is actually amazed that I'm easing into it, instead of diving in and breaking things (like my bones :D ) but for sure, just going slow, listening to when my body really lets me know to slow down, it's been great. I just cannot figure for the life of me why I waited so long.... :)

Thanks for the support folks - it really means a lot and has made a huge difference.
    3474449k Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm 69 and I plan on being in the top 50 in my age group for a 5k in Florida within the next 2 years. I try to be smart about it and base my training on my age because I don't want to hurt myself, but I figure along the way I will probably do better than people younger than me. I sure had some old farts show me up in the past. :)
  • Grey_1
    Options
    3474449k wrote: »
    I'm 69 and I plan on being in the top 50 in my age group for a 5k in Florida within the next 2 years. I try to be smart about it and base my training on my age because I don't want to hurt myself, but I figure along the way I will probably do better than people younger than me. I sure had some old farts show me up in the past. :)

I bet you do! Thanks for sharing that. :)
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Wow guys. Just wow. Major tears.
    I have been looking up and playing the videos of every single one of these over-50-wonders you all have shared and Im just so awed, amazed and inspired.
    I just turned 53 and while I fully intend to lose the extra weight, I figured there wasn't much hope for me fitness-wise, because Im not only overweight, I'm out of shape, arthritic, and not really coordinated or athletic (think Adrian from Rocky), but I feel like there's still *something* i can do, and that it's not too late. In my mind, Im not over 30-ish, but that never really applied to athleticism (and lack thereof) .. until now. Im just going to have to go meditate on these. I liked them all on youtube, so hopefully I can find these to play over, and over. I cant even conceive of a marathon, let alone a triathalon?! And an *iron man*??... Im so boggled... its like @Grey_1 said... everything has changed. Even though I am waiting for an appointment w/ my rheumatologist before I lift (right now anything -not just weights-over a pound hurts my right elbow), I know I there has to be something i can do. Thank you, thank you very much.
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Grey_1, your story is also inspiring! I do use my elliptical, just havent worked it up very far yet. I realize it isnt impressive to anyone but me, but for me to go from the 30 seconds which was all I could originally last to 11 minutes today is a major accomplishment to me. Just dont know how much I can do with lifting yet, until the doctor lets me know if the lifting will strengthen the joint or inflame/tear it down it worse. Now I dont have to feel bad that its been very slow to work up to accomplishing much, because I didnt realize that it would be possible to keep right on exercising as you get older. Ive always been afraid of becoming the frail and fragile old woman who can barely move, now I can see that it doesnt have to be that way! :smiley:
  • Grey_1
    Options
    You are the only one you need to impress @ConnieT1030 :) We've got a lot in common regarding old attitudes it seems. Something that's also helped me a lot is that I've learned to stop comparing myself and my progress with others, and draw inspiration from them instead, be they male or female. Some of the folks here have overcome incredible barriers to get where they are, so there's really not much we could talk about that someone here can't relate to.

On the subject of exercising and improving, my biggest gains came when I focused on my form, as opposed to how many reps I could do. "Only" doing 10 push-ups with the proper technique has helped much more than 20 jerking around like a marionette lol. And you run much less risk of injury that way.

You'll get there :) Hope this helps some...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    @Grey_1 I love how this thread has turned. From you doubting yourself to encouraging others. <3

Cheers, h.
  • Grey_1
    Options
    @middlehaitch - you were a part of that <3
  • BeastField
    BeastField Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Got here too late, but wanted to say - anyone that thinksthey need a reality check, and have self doubts - take a step back. I think the ones that are asking if you can do it, the ones that want to remind you of you age... they are the ones that need a reality check. They are the ones that have self doubt. You can do anything you put your mind to. Seeing all these posts inspire. Not just older people. Younger ones as well. I am 36, and by watching some of these videos, and seeing peoples replies and posts, I am inspired to never give up, and to let nothing stand in my way. I applaud you, for doing what people didn't think you could!
  • Grey_1
    Options
    JPBgrad98 wrote: »
    Got here too late, but wanted to say - anyone that thinksthey need a reality check, and have self doubts - take a step back. I think the ones that are asking if you can do it, the ones that want to remind you of you age... they are the ones that need a reality check. They are the ones that have self doubt. You can do anything you put your mind to. Seeing all these posts inspire. Not just older people. Younger ones as well. I am 36, and by watching some of these videos, and seeing peoples replies and posts, I am inspired to never give up, and to let nothing stand in my way. I applaud you, for doing what people didn't think you could!

Not too late at all @JPBgrad98 - It's ongoing, and you just added another great take. Thanks :)
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Grey_1 wrote: »
    Hi @ConnieT1030 I am so glad you posted - I have to say I meant everything I said above about everything changing. Reading what you shared makes me want to give a bit more disclosure on my part as well.

Ok, here's mine.

I have severe asthma that put me in the hospital (often in-patient) with bronchitis or pneumonia frequently as a child/early teen. As a teen I wanted to do sports and very, very slowly worked myself up to good physical condition through sheer stubbornness, punctuated by periods where I simply could not work out at all. I continued for a few years after that and then got serious about school and work, got married, took on a lot of stress and responsibility, stopped working out, gained weight, and stayed heavy for the next few decades.

Four years ago, I was diagnosed with deteriorating disc disease in my neck. Surgery fixed it for a while, but it got worse again 18 months ago and my surgeon wanted to fuse three of my neck vertebrae. During that same time period, my oldest child became deeply depressed/suicidal, was in and out of the hospital dozens of times and had to go away to residential treatment and group homes--six or seven different placements over four years. [Good news: He moved home in July and is doing great]. My relationship with my wife also started falling apart.

And I ballooned up to 255 pounds. I realized that if I didn't do something, that was going to be me for the rest of my life, so I got serious about taking better care of myself, including exercising regularly (again, slow and stubborn) and being more mindful about my eating. I used MFP, lost 25 pounds, felt great ... and then got pneumonia last Thanksgiving, was knocked out for several months, got depressed, ate way too much, and gained 20 back.

Then I woke up and realized that I only have one life and I can feel sorry for myself or I can get on with it. I have made emotional and physical self-care an even greater priority through more of a lifestyle change than a diet plan so that I can stay in good shape even when life deals me the next bad hand. I'm now down 30 pounds, feel great, my neck is mostly pain-free, and I feel like these are changes I can sustain for the long term. I'm shooting for another 20 pounds--the lowest I will have been since high school--before I reevaluate my goals.
  • Grey_1
    Options
    sbrandt37 wrote: »

Then I woke up and realized that I only have one life and I can feel sorry for myself or I can get on with it. I have made emotional and physical self-care an even greater priority through more of a lifestyle change than a diet plan so that I can stay in good shape even when life deals me the next bad hand. I'm now down 30 pounds, feel great, my neck is mostly pain-free, and feel like these are changes I can sustain for the long term. I'm shooting for another 20 pounds--the lowest I will have been since high school--before I reevaluate my goals.
    And that's the crux of it, isn't it? I never, ever enjoy the thought of someone dealing with what you did @sbrandt37 , but there's so much to take away when you tell people about it. Awesome.

I hear you by the way. I used to actually enjoy the occasional pity party, which is really not normal lol, but now I just get mad at myself if I feel one coming on.

Kudos to you man, keep fighting the good fight. :)