Which BMR should you use ?

Options
Just curious of every ones thoughts . Should we use BMR at goal weight or BMR at current weight ?

Thanks and Good luck

Replies

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    For what purpose?
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    For what purpose?

I am in a weight loss phase right now .
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    So, you're using BMR as part of calculating your calorie allotment? If so, using your current BMR is most common - multiplied by an activity multiplier to estimate total calorie burn then subtract your desired deficit.

Or just use the tools that MFP provides when you set up your account (see Settings if you don't remember doing this).

Or use a TDEE calculator like scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    BMR is a pointless number to know. The figure that matters is your TDEE from which you calculate your caloric deficit.
  • red99ryder
    Options
    So, you're using BMR as part of calculating your calorie allotment? If so, using your current BMR is most common - multiplied by an activity multiplier to estimate total calorie burn then subtract your desired deficit.

Or just use the tools that MFP provides when you set up your account (see Settings if you don't remember doing this).

Or use a TDEE calculator like scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Thanks Susan , I am using MFP to do my tracking and its been working . Was just curious about the BMR numbers .

Good luck
    BMR is a pointless number to know. The figure that matters is your TDEE from which you calculate your caloric deficit.

• red99ryder
    Options

Sorry about double quote , some BMR sites do let you add activity , i am not at the point of exercise at this time .
    just curious about the BMR number and current weight or goal weight , i guess same could be asked about TDEE ?

good luck
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »

Sorry about double quote , some BMR sites do let you add activity , i am not at the point of exercise at this time .
    just curious about the BMR number and current weight or goal weight , i guess same could be asked about TDEE ?

good luck

BMR multiplied by and activity factor IS your TDEE. BMR cannot be estimated accurately or measured so use TDEE to calculate your calorie deficit.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

^This.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »

good luck

Ah, okay, you want to know which site to use to calculate your calorie deficit from?

Your TDEE will be an estimate of your BMR, which is your body at baseline function plus activity factors, plus things a few other little factors not worth going into. They are all estimates.

Some people eat their TDEE at goal weight and lose slowly, but the numbers for that don't work out for everyone.

I think that since you don't really understand all the ins and outs of this that you should just use the method this site uses and follow the guided set up.