How much does your weight fluctuate?

Options
Just out of interest really. I weigh daily so I can keep an eye on my body fat % and any links between the food ive eaten and my weight. I use a fitbit with their integrated scale, so I focus mainly on the weekly average for my weight loss goal but I'm fascinated by how much my weight fluctuates throughout the week!
For example, on Friday I was 14st 6lb. This morning I'm 14st 10lb. So over 2 days I've gone up 4lb! I know this will come down again over the week, and I know it's partly to do with my weight training session on Saturday and partly to do with some cake I ate yesterday but, 4lb is a big leep.
So I'm just kinda interested in how other people's weight fluctuates.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When I am really controlling my macros, my weight only fluctuates by a pound or so. When I track calories only, it fluctuates by 2-3 lbs daily.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I've been a daily weigher for several years now and my weight can fluctuate up to 5lbs in a single day.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Can be as high as 4lbs overnight. But if I'm eating on a deficit the a pound only usually.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Saturday morning I was 228.8lbs, this morning I was 235lbs. This a moderate gain for me but I know that it is all water and glycogen and I'll be back down to my previous low within 2 days.

The most I have gained in 24 hours is 20lbs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Usually only a couple of pounds.

the most i have gained in one go is 5lbs after a weeks all inclusive holiday!
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance at the moment, and find that salt is my nemesis: if my daily count reaches much over 1100, I find my weight goes up about 1.5 pounds, and it takes a couple of days of diligent watering and sodium reduction to get back to comfort.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Usually only a couple of pounds.

the most i have gained in one go is 5lbs after a weeks all inclusive holiday!

They're evil those holidays. I came back from 10 nights in Mexico in October and I'd put on 7lb! I blame them serving churros for breakfast.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I haven't gained more than 2.5lbs overnight, but when that happens for three days, it leaves a mark on my psyche. However, it goes away within a few days and always reveals a loss soon after.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I can weigh ten pounds more the day before I weigh, and when I wake up, it's gone.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't weigh myself every day. I found it too discouraging. I weigh myself once every 7 - 10 days, and only if I know that my previous dinner was not high salt and I didn't do a hard run that would have me holding on to water. It's too easy for me to say, "This isn't working. I'm going to stop trying." I'd rather weigh less often and have some solid results.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The biggest change I've seen was 7 lbs overnight. That was during perimenopause. Now that my hormones have settled down my weight bounces around 5 lbs here and there, but rarely more than 2 lbs in a day.

Edit: this doesn't concern me since my weight has bounced around like this my whole life
  • futureicon
    futureicon Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    My weight is consistent within a pound, except for on the weekends when my sleep and boozing schedule changes, at which point I weight around 3 lbs less (probably due to dehydration)
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    1. If I have overeaten the day before, especially if a lot of carbs and/or a lot of salt have been involved: 5 lbs.
    2. If I haven't overeaten the day before and hormones are not wreaking havoc, about a pound, max.
    3. If I haven't overeaten the day before and perimeno is kicking my butt, two pounds or so max.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Mine constantly fluctuates between 4 lbs
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    At the most 2-3lbs but usually 0.5-1lb after a typical higher cal weekend
  • cardiacmommy
    cardiacmommy Posts: 52 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I don't know max daily..but I've seen major fluid retention not only with hormonal changes...but lack of sleep. If i have a crazy work week and start trying to get by on only 5 or so hours sleep i rapidly retain water and have gone up as much as 7-8 lbs. My body has to have a full night sleep to properly diurese! Once i start retaining it takes several full nights sleep to get back to normal.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    My weight can fluctuate 2-3lbs in the same day if I weigh multiple times. At TOM I can easily retain up to 10lb of water.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I've seen 7 pounds up overnight.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    1-4 lbs per day
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    A sample of my log: