Spin Bike

I am interested in purchasing a spin bike for home use. Never used one, can't take a class near me and don't want to spend $1,000.00 for one. Trainer for a bike is not an option. I am only 5'2 so I need a recommendation for one that would work for me. Any recommendations?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,447 Member
    Why is a trainer for a bike not an option?

Good quality spin bikes (as opposed to stationary bikes) are expensive ... unless you can find a used one somewhere.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Buy an ex-gym used one. Lot's of bargains to be had!
  • Candicem99
    Candicem99 Posts: 71 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

Good quality spin bikes (as opposed to stationary bikes) are expensive ... unless you can find a used one somewhere.

Because I don't have a road bike. I have a mountain bike and I have a hybrid bike.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,447 Member
    Candicem99 wrote: »

Because I don't have a road bike. I have a mountain bike and I have a hybrid bike.

You should be able to use those on some trainers.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    A trainer will be less expensive than a spinning bike and yours is probably already set up to fit you well.

The Lemond Revmaster Pro is the gold standard in spinning bikes but will definitely set you back more than $1,000, I have no idea how much a used one would go for or what availability would be like (These are the bikes my tri club uses for winter training and they stand up to years of use and abuse....)

Depending on the size of the wheels on your bikes a trainer may be a good option. I'm a big fan of the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, it's a fluid trainer that imitates riding on the road well (the harder you pedal the more resistance you get) and Kurt Kinetic guarantees them for life...

• DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    I purchased a Spinner NXT and was just a tad more than 1000. Built like a tank.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Schwinn has always made a good Spin Bike, as does Star Trac (they're the "Spinning" brand bikes a lot of studios have). Keiser also makes a good bike but they're pricey.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

Most trainers will accommodate a 26" mountain bike tires and most hybrids are 700c which is the same size as road.

https://www.cycleops.com/support/getting-started

A good trainer is awesome and it's nice to not have some big piece of equipment taking up space...though I'm pretty limited on space.
  • blwelch1
    blwelch1 Posts: 81 Member
    I have 2 spinning bikes. The first one that i purchased was from Sunny health and fitness, which i paid about 250.00. It worked great for me for years. The bike that i use now is a Spinner NXT, which i received as a Birthday gift, but if i didn't received that, I would still be using the first one.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    You can usually find spin bikes on Craigslist for cheap. Your hybrid could definitely be used on a trainer too. I would not want to ride a mtn bike on a trainer. Knobbies would drive me batty.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,996 Member
    I've got a Lemond RevMasterPro w/the Pilot II monitor that I bought used for $1k but I've seen them listed recently for $750 or less.

Price depends on the condition and where it came from. They are built like a truck and last forever, but a gym model obviously will suffer more wear and tear. Mine was a "like new" home model that got little use b4 I bought it. Worth every penny.
  • Candicem99
    Candicem99 Posts: 71 Member
    Thanks for all the replies. My mountain bike is a 29" so I don't think it will work with a trainer. Space is not an issue for me. I was looking at both the Sunny Health & Fitness and also the Spinner ones - there are just so many out there. I want to use with the Peloton App.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Thanks for all the replies. My mountain bike is a 29" so I don't think it will work with a trainer. Space is not an issue for me. I was looking at both the Sunny Health & Fitness and also the Spinner ones - there are just so many out there. I want to use with the Peloton App.

According to CycleOps & JKurt Kinetic's sites their fluid trainer will accommodate 29" tires (Kurt Kinetic recommends using a 700 x 38 tire for a slightly lower profile that a 29" MTB tire)