Feeling the cold

Options
I've been dieting for 2.5 months, on about 1500-1600 calories, and have been feeling okay on it. I'm seldom ravenously hungry, eating a good variety, and am losing weight at around 700g pw, so I'm happy with that. I'm just approaching the BMI 25 landmark, which is a good feeling.

But the seasons have turned, and it's pretty chilly - not bitterly cold, but a definite nip in the air. Normally, I'm a hardy soul, but on this diet I am really feeling the cold badly, and my hands, which are normally warm, are cold, too. It's very uncomfortable, and very unfamiliar to me.

I know it's diet-related - when I eat something, I warm up immediately, but I'm struggling to control it. I'm trying to tinker with my eating timings to see if that helps - the worst time seems to be late afternoon / early evening. My evening meal is, of necessity, very late. I always drink lots of tea, and am trying to have soup or something warm in the day.

Anyone else get this problem, and if so, have you found anything that helps?

Replies

• Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    When I was your I was always cold but I was also average or thin weight wise. It has been the last year that I'm always hot but I thought that was due to my excess weight. Now that I am losing I am feeling cold again. I just wear a sweat shirt jacket or warm my hands on hot coffee.,LOL. I also have a little plug in heater that I put on in the evenings, just for me, even though I have the heat on in the house, the extra warmth feels good. Outdoors I don't mind at all. I just dress warm.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I normally "run warm", but having lost weight during the spring/summer as the weather is getting cooler I find myself cold a lot now. Most surprising to me is that I'm cold in bed at night--I'm wearing pajamas when in the past I'd wear a sleeveless cotton nightgown year round.

I am dabbling in dressing in layers-- it's fun since that used make me feel too hot and like a stuffed sausage. Hot tea helps a lot too:)
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Hehe, I've noticed this since I dropped a lot of bodyweight. I used to constantly be hot...sometimes I wouldn't even need a jacket in the winter, and now that I'm smaller I feel like I just spend the whole winter bundled up and shivering.
    Extra layers, warm tea, hot showers, and my electric blanket are lifesavers!

I'm seriously considering buying one to use in the office... :neutral: I have the possibly coldest corner (corner office with bay windows - hot in summer freezing in winter - and as the last comer I got the cold spot and my office mates are rarely at their seats so not producing extra heat :tongue: ). I sit all day (translator, not much opportunity to move unless I create it) and I seriously feel the 30kg I've lost since 2014.

I've already drunk a good 2 liters of hot tea today and put on both woolen jackets I keep in my desk and yet still can't seem to get warm. It's just ridiculous. I'm looking forward to a very nice warm bath tonight!

I'm thinking of looking for a chair warmer I can sit on... *goes off wondering where such a thing could be bought* :wink:
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of looking for a chair warmer I can sit on... *goes off wondering where such a thing could be bought* :wink:

Amazon has them LOL.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Lol - my office is the same way. In the past I have
    1) worn cotton gloves with the fingers cut off so I can type
    2) used camping hot packs for hands
    3) wrapped myself in a blanket like a dress while sitting at my desk
    4) long underwear (have on now!)
    5) ski pants on top of work pants
    6) small heater (got confiscated several times by security since not allowed in office)
    7) warming blanket (technically not allowed either... but the cord gets in the way when turning in the chair)
    8) hot tea of course
    9) exercising in morning (this actually works pretty well - getting a good sweat on in the morning keeps me warmer most of the day).
    10) whenever cold going to the stairwell and running up and down the stairs a few times

I hate being cold. This year I invested in good quality skiwear (I dont ski lol - I just figure if anyone needs warm stuff it is them!) and it is making a big difference. Also trying out quite a few different boots to find the warmest since my feet suffer horribly (looking at 600-1000g thinsulate, etc).

good luck!
  • ladyreva78
    Options
    Mmm didn't think about the cord getting in the way. But I'll still be spending time on Amazon tonight. Thanks for that hint @Ming1951 I tend to forget about Amazon as it's not such a big thing where I'm at.

@aylajane thanks for the idea for the ski wear and the camping hot packs. Didn't think about that. :wink:

@ShammersPink Sorry for hijacking your thread :smiley: I am extremely grateful you started it as I'm currently struggling with the same thing
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Heh.

I am layering up, but considering investing in some thermal undies.

The trouble is, my shape is altering quite rapidly, so something I buy now might not last me through winter. But I guess those things are knitted, so stretchy and a bit more flexible than most clothes.
  • ladyreva78
    Options
    I know what you mean with the altering shape. I lost 3 clothing sizes this year alone and need to be presentable for work and don't really have the budget to keep on buying new but I think those undies are definitely going on my shopping list this week!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Oh - forgot another one... A rubber hot water bottle, like used for cramps etc. Keep it in your lap, put your hands on when not typing.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Heh.

I am layering up, but considering investing in some thermal undies.

The trouble is, my shape is altering quite rapidly, so something I buy now might not last me through winter. But I guess those things are knitted, so stretchy and a bit more flexible than most clothes.

I usually wear some thermal underwear under my clothes in the winter. I like the ones that are smooth instead of the waffle weave. The waffle weave is irritating to me, especially on the backs of my knees while sitting.

ETA: I have some that I bought when I was heavier and they are still fine under my clothes. Some are available in Intimates depts and some in Athletic Wear depts. I like the ones that are made out of synthetic material better. They don't bunch up like cotton. They are smooth and let the top layer of clothing slide over.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    1) If you have lost weight you will feel the cold more as you have less "insulation"
    2) If your body temperature is actually decreased then this can be a sign for something serious. Severe dieting can cause negative hormonal adaptions.

You need to distinguish between the above.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm colder since losing weight.
    Exercise is a good way to warm up.
    Wear warmer clothes.
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    1) If you have lost weight you will feel the cold more as you have less "insulation"
    2) If your body temperature is actually decreased then this can be a sign for something serious. Severe dieting can cause negative hormonal adaptions.

1. Yes, I have lost a significant amount of weight, so this is probably a factor.
    2. I don't think insulation is the only factor, because eating has a very marked effect on my feeling of coldness. So I think that between meals, when I don't have a lot of fuel, my body is conserving energy where it can.

I do have a clinical thermometer, so next time it's particularly bad, I'll take my temperature. I suspect my core temperature is fine, and my peripheral circulation is down-regulating, causing my feeling of cold, though. The reason I think this, is that I feel cold, not ill.

When my core temperature is down, I'm more likely to feel poorly, and in general, I'm feeling well, just with unaccustomed episodes of feeling colder than I'd expect, given the ambient temperature.

I wouldn't class my dieting as severe. I'm female, and not highly active, so I'd have thought my calorie intake and rate of loss would count as moderate.
  • ladyreva78
    Options

Thanks for pointing that out! Number 2 actually makes sense and I am undergoing treatment for a hormonal imbalance (it sucks to be a woman sometimes). We're still testing which meds and which dosage would be the best and the doctor warned me it might take several tries as it will largely depend on how my body reacts to the meds.

I also have quite a bit of insulation less, meaning not only is my body temperature lower during certain phases of my cycle (as in 2-3°C lower than the average it should be) but I also feel the cold more...

None of that changes the fact that I currently want to live in a nice and warm tropical location and not in cold Switzerland. :smile:

• ladyreva78
    Options
    Ohhhh Silk... Now that's another tip I'll have to remember :smile:
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30lbs and have 80 ish more to go and I'm feeling the cold. My feet mostly!. I used to walk around in a tank top in the winter because I ran so hot. Now I'm in a sweater, socks & slippers.
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have a battery powered heated jacket now. It's the best $150 I've spent in a long time.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    After losing so much weight definitely in the same situation. Last winter I was not prepared and froze my butt off. This winter I have already purchased Cuddl Dudds which are like thermals but without the weave for layering. I love them so much I've gone a little crazy and bought quite a few pairs and am basically living in them now. They also come in stretch fleece which are so incredibly warm I got a little over heated after an hour of wearing them. Not quite cold enough for those yet haha. Anyway you could look into those? They are $10 each at Walmart.

I don't however notice I feel warmer after eating like you do, but it definitely makes sense that when your body is using more energy to keep you warm you will be hungrier.