Can't eat all my exercise calories!!!

HKHOWELL
HKHOWELL Posts: 5
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I have been training to do my first sprint triathlon and some days I may burn 1200 calories in a 2 hr workout. I can hardly eat the 1300 calories I'm supposed to according to mfp...there is no way I can add 1200 healthy calories to one day. Don't get me wrong I could totally get down 1200 calories in a hurry, but NOT healthy ones. I haven't really lost much weight in awhile and it's getting frustrating working out this much and not seeing results! ANY ADVICE?

Replies

• knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    It's okay. You don't need to eat ALL those calories if you are trying to lose weight. Try eating half of them. And remember, real athletes do eat carbs, so don't be afraid of an extra piece of whole wheat toast or an extra serving of whole grain pasta.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    One pound a week weight loss is good.
    Have you measured yourself to see if you have lost inches? Less inches = less fat.
    You new muscles need protien to contribute to their repair and continued growth. Fish, Lean beef, skinless chicken or turkey, yogurt, etc., are good sources of protien. Cooking methods would include baking, grilling, boiling.

Enjoy your new energy and abilities.

:drinker: (water)
  • sunflower0022
    sunflower0022 Posts: 129 Member
    I can't eat mine either.. I am going to try to eat 1/2 of them though
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Most days I eat mine, but only because I am hungry, not because I feel I have to. I don't think that anyone should make themselves eat just to get in their exercise calories. If you are hungry then eat the extra food and if you aren't then that is fine too!
    Good Luck!!
  • Try eating a few carbs. If you're heavily working out or training, you also need carbs for energy. As for not losing weight, maybe you're losing inches. When was the last time you really lost any weight? If it's been only a short while, maybe you're stalled and need to vary what you're eating. You don't HAVE to eat all your exercise calories, but you should eat some.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Really, it's up to you whether or not you want to eat your exercise calories. You can try eating half of them or a third of them or none of them at all. A calorie is a calorie, so if you'd rather have some seemingly "unhealthy" choices once or twice a week to get to your calorie goal, go ahead! Trust me, you don't want to deprive yourself of any of your favorites. :) Anywho!! I think the main thing you should be focusing on at the moment is getting to your 1300. When you have that down, then you can worry about the exercise calories. Maybe you could try throwing in a little extra calories here and there. Just as an example... Put some mayo on your sandwiches and load up on lettuce and tomatoes and onions. Calories from veggies and sauce can really add up!

Also, I don't think there's any need at all to work out 2 hours a day. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most dietitians/trainers/doctors/etc. suggest at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. (Or maybe it's an hour?) I know that 2 hours definitely isn't necessary though. Good luck!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Oh, by the way, I checked your weight loss ticker on your profile page. Have you really lost 90 pounds? That may just be your problem. The less you have to lose, the harder it is to lose it. Maybe you've hit a plateau? If that's a possibility, just search around MFP and google. You'll find tons of advice to get through a plateau. Again, good luck to you!
This discussion has been closed.