Eating before/after working out...

So, I've been trying to figure out what works best for me when it comes to working out and eating regarding time frame. I can NOT eat before I work out for obvious reasons...I can't do my best and I feel heavy. But after I workout and drink water, I can never eat after either...I have to wait an hour or two, because I'll feel really sick if I don't. Anyone deal with the same thing? People say to eat protein after a good workout to help with muscle mass...I am trying to lose 15-25 lbs, gain muscle and tone up. Any suggestions on eating before/after workouts, or what's best to eat and timeframe? THANKS!

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    I eat a banana before my 6am workout and drink a protein shake sometime after. When I would workout in the evenings I would have half an English muffin with almond butter before and dinner an hour after. You don't have to eat a lot of food. I never feel heavy and always perform better with some fuel.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    What time do you workout and do you take supplements?
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    I eat a little bit of a protein bar before working out (as soon as I get up) then about an hour later I have my breakfast. I eat a small dinner, so there's no way I can work out with no fuel in my body.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    If food makes you sick right after working out, I would try a protein shake. Then eat real food later.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Waiting an hour or two to eat after working out is fine.
  • My workout times vary due to my 4 boys, my schedule is never the same! lol But USUALLY in the morning before breakfast or around dinner time 4-6ish. And no to the supplements, I probably should. I bought a fitness pack with 7 pills a day and did them for a week and still have 3 weeks left that I never finished. I should probably get back on that!
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    My workout times vary due to my 4 boys, my schedule is never the same! lol But USUALLY in the morning before breakfast or around dinner time 4-6ish. And no to the supplements, I probably should. I bought a fitness pack with 7 pills a day and did them for a week and still have 3 weeks left that I never finished. I should probably get back on that!

No worries. Supplements aren't a necessity. Eating a balanced diet is key, then supplements can help in certain areas. If you feel sick and can't eat an hour or two after a workout that is fine. You aren't going to "lose gains" or hijack your hard work because you don't eat or get a protein shake within 30 minutes after you workout. You honestly have about a 24 hour windown for optimal muscle protein synthesis. I used to experience the same thing, especially after a heavy leg day, where I wouldn't be able to eat for an hour or two after my workout. You'll be fine.
  • My workout times vary due to my 4 boys, my schedule is never the same! lol But USUALLY in the morning before breakfast or around dinner time 4-6ish. And no to the supplements, I probably should. I bought a fitness pack with 7 pills a day and did them for a week and still have 3 weeks left that I never finished. I should probably get back on that!

No worries. Supplements aren't a necessity. Eating a balanced diet is key, then supplements can help in certain areas. If you feel sick and can't eat an hour or two after a workout that is fine. You aren't going to "lose gains" or hijack your hard work because you don't eat or get a protein shake within 30 minutes after you workout. You honestly have about a 24 hour windown for optimal muscle protein synthesis. I used to experience the same thing, especially after a heavy leg day, where I wouldn't be able to eat for an hour or two after my workout. You'll be fine.

THANKS!!!
  • jdallas69
    jdallas69 Posts: 30 Member
    Protein shakes
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    I find drinking a carb drinking containing about 20-40 grams of carbs work best for me. I usually mix maltodextrin with coconut water. A few times a week I will mix my pre-workout to this. In the past I was taking carbs and protein but I have more energy eliminating the protein pre-workout.