Need Yoga DVD Advice

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm about a month into my weight loss journey, and I'm still trying to figure out a workout/exercise routine. I don't have the money to join the gym so everything I do, I have to be able to do while I'm at home.

I've been contemplating the idea of buying a yoga DVD to add to my routine. I've always loved the idea of yoga, and even did some yoga back in my high school gym class.

I'm hoping someone can suggest to me the perfect beginner/basic yoga DVD. My friend has a Yoga DVD that's actually called "Yoga for Beginners" but I don't know how they figure that because they weren't explaining things and they expected you to already know some basic positions, and to be extremely flexible already--which I am not.

So if anyone can suggest to me a TRUE BEGINNER or BASIC Yoga DVD, I would be much obliged. Just anything that is simple and easy to learn. Something that is made for people who have never done Yoga in their life....Thanks everyone.

Replies

• sixlets21
    sixlets21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    2 things. The first is that when I first started doing some Yoga, I loved the Wii Fit Yoga with the balance board. It wasn't always easy to do, but they show you how, and you get a good idea of if you're doing it right due to the balance board giving you instant feedback.

The other, surprisingly, is the Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga. Despite it being Biggest Loser, the poses are pretty straight forward, and you don't have to do anything crazy. I have that Yoga for Beginners video, and I agree, it's not a beginners yoga. The BL one is way easier as far as the poses go. He'll also get your heart rate up and your muscles let you know the next day that you did something.
  • darlingnoire
    darlingnoire Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I recommend The Biggest Loser DVD as well. Love it!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    After being on mfp for some years and hearing this request many times, I'm considering making a youtube video myself. I made a 60 minute video for my regular yoga class, but it's not a beginner one. I haven't made the beginner video yet though, so here are my suggestions:

Check out your local library and see if they have anything. You can also look into podcasts (Yoga Journal has one) and youtube.

The only one I know about is "Yoga for Weight Loss" with Suzanne Deason - it gives a lot of different options.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    "the perfect beginner/basic yoga DVD" I don't know that such a thing exists.

Maybe you can take the time and look up the basic yoga moves on line and practice them on your own, without a dvd to get the hang of them? Try this link: http://www.livingwordsofwisdom.com/printable-yoga-exercises.html or type it in a search engine and see what you come up with. It would be good to educate yourself on the moves so you understand what you are 'supposed' to be doing, especially since you are new to it.

Your flexibility will increase the more you practice yoga. Don't be discouraged if it seems the instructor expects you to be more advanced than you are. Try to keep in mind that these videos are designed to appeal to the masses, not tailored to 'your' level of flexibility. Just get started and work your way up to being able to complete the moves as shown on screen.
  • DaveJ_43
    DaveJ_43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You Tube has lots of free practice routines. And for just $10/month, you can get access to hundreds of DVDs online at GaiamTV.com (thats what I use) - they have a full range of styles of levels. Good luck and namaste.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Interesting - I too was looking for a beginner yoga DVD and tried The Biggest Loser one, figuring it would be targeted at beginners. (After all, Jillian's 30DS vids was great for a newbie). I hated the it - I tweaked old injuries twice in the first 20 minutes, (and I thought yoga was supposed to be great for helping with injuries!). I thought Bob went too fast without explaining what I was supposed to be doing -- and when you're not supposed to be looking up at a screen, instructions are really important! He started right out with really hard movements that he didn't explain well at all, and it was just generally too much for me. I didn't feel safe doing most of it, and there were no modifications for the exercises except for that poor miserable-looking woman in the back who just looked like she was trying really hard and failing. She looked like I felt :) After wasting $x on that, I don't feel like I can justify continuing to spend more on trying random videos out.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    As far as truely beginner .... I can't really help you much.... I've always been fairly flexible, so many DVDs labeled intermediate were fine for me.

To find information on prespective DVDs though .......this website is invaluable ...... collagevideo.com

http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos/stretch-yoga-and-tai-chi-videos-30

The DVDs here are rated for level ..... professionals have done each video & rated it ..... so it's not just "my opioion" .... that the DVD is beginner

Another option ...... try before you buy .....

Hulu.com has tons of yoga videos (Yoga Zone, Gaiam, Exercise TV, The Firm)

http://www.hulu.com/#!search?q=yoga
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    great suggestions, thanks TeaBea.
  • SCtolulu
    SCtolulu Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Check out kino yoga on you tube.
    Free:)
  • tishtash77
    tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I do Peggy Cappy, Yoga for the Rest of Us - Heart Healthy Yoga. It has a short 30 minute routine doing the sun salutations. There are 2 parts on it, one teaches you the moves using a chair if you are older, less flexible or very overweight, the other teaches you the moves on a floor mat for the more abled and more flexible. I have a bad knee, have lost 50lbs but still have a lot to lose and am a total beginner so right now I do the chair one. When my tummy does not get in my way I will move to the floor one!
  • bchthrpy
    bchthrpy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    As a "newbie" to yoga I bought a couple DVD's until I found the right one for me. My absolute favorite is Yoga For Energy & Relaxation by Tamal Dodge...his voice is soothing, he explains the moves, gives you suggestions and the calorie burn for me is 400+ using either one. Next one is Slim Calm Sexy Yoga, Blast Calories & Tone Your Body by Bethany Lyons, same thing as Tamal's video as far as soothing voice, suggestions, but hers is more of vinyasa yoga which burns more calories, next is Minna Lessig Optimizer Balance Blend two sessions on hers one is more of a cardio workout and the other is a blend of yoga, pilates and cardio and my LEAST favorite, JM's Yoga Meltdown ~ only because I cannot stand her voice and her attitude. She is better in this one than her 30DS, but she just annoys me. I enjoy yoga a lot and though still a newbie I can tell a difference when I have used the Energy one with Tamal, it just releases energy and endorphins that I never understood before.
  • sophiek1964
    sophiek1964 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I started with Rodney Yee's Yoga for Beginners DVD. There is a section on that DVD that explains all of the basic poses and how to do them correctly too. Good luck!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    PLEASE do not try to learn yoga on your own from a DVD. At best, you will not get the full benefits from it and at worst, you can seriously injure yourself.

It is not as easy as it looks and some of the poses, done incorrectly without guidance, can be dangerous.

And to add, no matter how good the DVD's instruction is, you can't tell by feel whether you're doing them correctly, especially if you've never done it before and often even if you have.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    It would be worth attending a couple of yoga classes first to see if yoga is actually what you are looking for at this point in your weight loss journey. If there are some that are close to where you live I would recommend that. Then, once you have tried it, had your posture adjusted a bit, and know if you want to continue, maybe look back at this thread and pick up the dvd advice.
  • Jaimie6171
    Jaimie6171 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I started with Sarah Beth yoga on YouTube. She is great about explaining how to get into poses and correct alignment. I highly suggest her channel!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/SarahBethShow?feature=watch
  • Lizzyton
    Lizzyton Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also love Rodney Yee. The "Practical Power or Yoga" with he and his wife is a very informative video. The main thing to remember is to LISTEN to your body. Yoga is not about "no pain , no gain"...it's the opposite. Listen to your body and if something is painful be aware of it and tone it back. Have patience with yourself. I regularly do an old DVD with Rodney Yee. It's "A.M., Stress Relief and P.M. Yoga" But I really only do the A.M. one. It's 20 minutes long, very gentle and easy...and the benefits are well worth it!
  • ggsmamma
    ggsmamma Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Nirvair Singh is the best for weightloss: http://www.yogatech.com/Nirvair_Singh/Weight_Loss_with_Kundalini_Yoga

He is a Kundalini Yoga teacher and he is one of the best. His studio used to be down the road from me but sadly, he's moved to New Mexico. Now, I use the DVDs too! Sat Nam
  • JesseeCrown
    Options
    Yoga is fun, and relaxing and helps to develop flexibility, while strengthening the body and mind. I can modify the exercises as I need to and still get great results. That is really important to me! Right now I am wanting to to try ShapeShifter Yoga from http://yogasexi.com.