How to be selfish, but not mean

Options

Replies

• johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Eat out, no food in the house for her to steal. How's that for selfish?
  • OhReally42
    OhReally42 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Eff outta here. Tell her if she can't stop eating your food she can get the eff out. But that would be me and what I would do. What does your boyfriend say?

My boyfriend is just as frustrated. It's a hard situation because she gets just as angry at him, and meaner. But he agrees that we need to get a mini fridge and find a way to hide it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Can you buy food that she will like even better, so she'll eat that instead? Make yours the "boring" food that she won't want in comparison to the other stuff LOL

Even better, if she still eats your stuff and not the super yummy special stuff you bought her, you can get all passive aggressive and hurt.
  • OhReally42
    Options
    She's been saying since the beginning of the year that she's going to move and just never does. She has money to buy her own food, she honestly has more money than we do, she just doesn't manage her money in a good way. The only bill she contributes to is her half of the rent, but not utilities. My bf just tried to talk to her in a civilized conversation and she got mad saying "at least we get to eat today". Ive unfortunately resorted to counted slices of bread and numbers of eggs and I know she's lying. I feel like this is so petty but it's been 3 years of fighting over food and it's becoming more and more stressful
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    OhReally42 wrote: »
    She's been saying since the beginning of the year that she's going to move and just never does. She has money to buy her own food, she honestly has more money than we do, she just doesn't manage her money in a good way. The only bill she contributes to is her half of the rent, but not utilities. My bf just tried to talk to her in a civilized conversation and she got mad saying "at least we get to eat today". Ive unfortunately resorted to counted slices of bread and numbers of eggs and I know she's lying. I feel like this is so petty but it's been 3 years of fighting over food and it's becoming more and more stressful

I would then reevaluate the relationship. This doesn't get better.
  • OhReally42
    Options
    I posted a piece of paper on the fridge and told her to write down things we need to pick up for food and other groceries and even though it's as simple as using the pen attached to the paper she refuses to do that too.
  • OhReally42
    Options
    My boyfriend and I haven't fought about it, but him and his mom and me and his mom.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am taking care of my brother. I have a do not touch shelf in the fridge. He eventually complied.
  • OhReally42
    Options
    jrulo16 wrote: »
    I am taking care of my brother. I have a do not touch shelf in the fridge. He eventually complied.

What did you say to him that made him listen to you?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

She is not contributing equally to the household even though she could. She is causing conflict and using you guys financially apparently for 3 years. Enough. It is time for the two of you to help her find a place of her own.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Clearly the situation is extremely complex and tense, but if it were me and money not an issue, I'd just buy more food. If you're already able to hide dry foods, that's at least a partial win.

Here's something, though. If your special PCOS diet requires nutritious, whole foods for example, and someone else in the house enjoys eating that, too, is that such a bad thing?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Clearly the situation is extremely complex and tense, but if it were me and money not an issue, I'd just buy more food. If you're already able to hide dry foods, that's at least a partial win.

Here's something, though. If your special PCOS diet requires nutritious, whole foods for example, and someone else in the house enjoys eating that, too, is that such a bad thing?

If it's causing them financial strain I would say yes. No one should have to live like that in their own house. Gtfoh.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    My boyfriend and I haven't fought about it, but him and his mom and me and his mom.

Yet. He need to balls up and stand up to his mom. Tell her to stop the bullcrap or get the eff out. That simple. Unless of course you enjoy being a doormat.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

If it's causing them financial strain I would say yes. No one should have to live like that in their own house. Gtfoh.

The situation is a bit ludicrous to me. Financial strain feeding a house guest - surely they didn't think she just wouldn't eat? Also curious what this special diet food is, where his mother is okay to eat everything else but not this. We talking milk, eggs and celery, here?

More options: OP buys food in the plain variety that others don't want to eat. Plain yogurt, plain cottage cheese, plain whole wheat bread. I even did a "carrot pudding" desert that no one else would touch whenever I made it. Not saying any of these are PCOS diet friendly, as I don't know what those foods are. Just an idea in theory

OP could also lick the foods in front of bf's mother before storing them in the fridge :tongue:
  • Chef_Barbell
    edited November 2016
    Options

The situation is a bit ludicrous to me. Financial strain feeding a house guest - surely they didn't think she just wouldn't eat? Also curious what this special diet food is, where his mother is okay to eat everything else but not this. We talking milk, eggs and celery, here?

More options: OP buys food in the plain variety that others don't want to eat. Plain yogurt, plain cottage cheese, plain whole wheat bread. I even did a "carrot pudding" desert that no one else would touch whenever I made it. Not saying any of these are PCOS diet friendly, as I don't know what those foods are. Just an idea in theory

OP could also lick the foods in front of bf's mother before storing them in the fridge :tongue:

Because the guest is not contributing at all financially to the house is the big picture. You would let someone stay in your house rent free, not contribute anything and run it? :noway:

Being accommodating to someone like that is just letting them walk all over you.