Cardio Only

Options
ClaudiaKho13
ClaudiaKho13 Posts: 229 Member
edited November 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Can i lose body fat/weight by just doing cardio? Im planning to lose 18kg.
I do have a desk job from morning to evening so i only have time for a quick 45mins-1 hr workout in the morning.

Have an elliptical at home which i enjoy using ( while watching my favorite shows so i don't get bored ) , and I'm currently using it everyday for 20-30mins before work. ( I go at it at a steady pace, kind of like a light jog)

I do want to add some strength training but idk what to do as i dont have much weights or equipment at home. Any suggestions to what i should try out? Preferably some that can be done at home or when on vacation.

P.s. Is swimming counted as cardio or strength :#

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    google bodyweight exercises
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    google bodyweight exercises

Yes, bodyweight exercises will build your strength. Think plank, squat, lunge, push ups, Russion twist etc, no equipment needed. You might also want to look at HIIT videos on youtube to vary it up a bit, your body will get used to doing the same thing every day and it will become less effective. I'd also recommend pushing yourself on your eliptical rather than it always being a steady pace, get some music on and make sure you sweat.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    No mention of calories? What are you doing about those?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You lose weight because of a calorie deficit - not because of the type of exercise you do.
    Swimming is cardio but has more of an element of resistance than some other types of cardio.

I've recently been playing around with some bodyweight exercises and they can be challenging even for someone who has been lifting for decades!

Here's a progression you might like to try over time...
    Plank on forearms - High Plank on hands - Long Lever Plank on forearms - Long Lever Plank on hands - Long Lever Plank With Shoulder tap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oclnkXkq8sw
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You need a calorie deficit to lose weight. Cardio can help you create one but diet is the first place to start. Doing some form of resistance training will help you retain muscle as well.