10k run help

Options
Hello,
I have a 10k run in 13 days. I went for a run last night and badly hurt my ankle. I'm so concerned that I'm going to absolutely horrendous on the day now.
Can anyone recommend any sort of exercise that I could do to prepare myself for the run that won't make my ankle any worse?

Replies

• Keira08
    Keira08 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If it hurts, rest it. You'll only do more damage if you run on it while it's healing. Depending how bad the pain it might be worth seeing a medical professional.
    Maybe do some low impact cardio like swimming or cycling in the meantime
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Rest the ankle
    Rest the ankle
    Rest the ankle

Get some ice on it, get it up on the couch, get some compression on it. Get some extra protein and a good multivitamin into you while you're there!

While you're on the couch, get on Amazon or similar and order yourself some compression socks or ankle sleeves to support it during the race. I have a pair of these https://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016F59BDU/ for my sad ankles and they work really well. You might find compression socks help too.

If you're really bored, do some arm raises on the couch or some ab crunches. Or just some positive visualisation of the race.

In a couple of days, try some gentle leg raises and ankle rotation. Don't stress the ankle and back off if it hurts.

Do the race, then be prepared for a couple of days doing nothing afterwards to recover. If you stress your ankle in the race then don't let it heal afterwards, you will regret it in the long term!
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    No exercise unfortunately. Rest and ice is reccomented if you want to take part on the race.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    rest and ice your ankle. if its not feeling better in a couple of days i would see a physio.

depends what you have doen to it to whether racing will be possible within a week.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Agree with others here - RICE! (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    All of the above. It sucks ditching a race but it sucks worse not healing properly from an injury and having to take even more time off.

Assuming that your ankle is sufficiently healed to participate in the race you're not going to lose that much fitness in 2 weeks.