work out and weight gain ?

Options
I have been doing 30 day shred, plus working out on FIt TV (Gilad bodies in motion) plus some pilates and calisthenics on my own, and walking some.. since I have "ramped up" the excercise I have gained a few pounds. I do not know about inches... I have no measurer, and DH is cheap LOL. I have been really watching what I eat... could it me muscle mass? I do not want to be "built" I want to be toned... still wanna look "girly." thoughts?

Replies

• kristelagarcia
    kristelagarcia Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post this question too! I've been exercising, not EXTREME but enough for weekly goals and I haven't gone over my calories in 2 weeks, and my weight keeps fluctuating!!

Keep it up I guess, all these magazines and websites must be right :P
  • theartsymom
    Options
    I've read that you do gain a few pounds the first week you start working out. It happened to me when I started to work out too. I gained about 2lbs. I wish I could tell you why, but I don't know myself.
  • fitgirl232
    fitgirl232 Posts: 17
    Options
    Weight is not always reliable because it can fluctuate based on other things (water retention). weigh first thing in the morning because you tend to retain water throughout the day and for every liter of fluid that is one kg of extra weight (2.2lbs). (This is how us nurses determine fluid retention on patients in the hospital). Also, I usually measure progress also by how my clothes fit and by also trying on my goal pants.
  • ShastaAngel
    Options
    I weigh mysekf once a week ubdder same circumstances... so is it muscle mass? that would e great wi th me... but I am actually burning more than I take in... not on purpose... I only eat if my body say hungry
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it has anything to do with muscle gain. It takes a pretty long time to gain a pound of muscle. Maybe you just need to adjust your calories. Are you eating your exercise calories back? If you are, I suggest investing in a heart rate monitor, because MFP overestimates calories burned. (And that could be a major problem!!) Or maybe you don't need to eat your exercise calories at all? Or maybe just half or maybe just a third? Maybe you're not getting enough calories? Maybe you're getting too many? Just some things to think about. Good luck on your weight loss.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I weigh mysekf once a week ubdder same circumstances... so is it muscle mass? that would e great wi th me... but I am actually burning more than I take in... not on purpose... I only eat if my body say hungry

Without seeing your food diary, it's hard to say...but your body may also be going into starvation mode. Are you consuming at least 1200 calories a day? If you are working out that much, you need to increase your calories. You should eat 5-6 small meals every 2-3 hours - not just when you're hungry.
  • F4play
    F4play Posts: 21
    Options
    You can only gain muscle if you eat above your maintenance calories even if you use partioning muscle getsbigger the fat covering it reduces it doesnt change shape. How do you look in the mirror, have a look at your portion sizes that tends to be the biggest problem

Good luck with it
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I've read that you do gain a few pounds the first week you start working out. It happened to me when I started to work out too. I gained about 2lbs. I wish I could tell you why, but I don't know myself.

It is fluid usually.

When I have been for a run, my legs always swell up and always have, it can take several hours for them to return to normal. The same when lifting weights at the gym.

Everytime we exercise we tear tiny muscle fibres, they repair and this is how they grow or tone up. However, these tiny muscle fibres are also accompanied by fluid. This fluid is protection for the muscle and is necessary.
  • lu123
    lu123 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I find exactly the same thing happens with me when ive been out of exercise for a while. but the weight seems to soon drop off again. :smile: might just be your body adjusting to the exercise.