Vegetarian/Vegan Thanksgiving Plans

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Also, I think a lot of people don't realize how many animal products make their way into things like boxed stuffing.

If you're using boxed stuffing, you're doing it wrong...very wrong.

I don't use boxed stuffing (see above, where I outlined a very nice stuffing recipe in my menu), but many people do and I don't judge them for it - some people have busy lives and if you want to use boxed stuffing go for it; in fact, my mom prefers boxed stuffing, I made a giant homemade one and she brought over 4 boxes of stovetop for herself. Different strokes for different folks. I was just saying not everyone realizes that most of them are not vegetarian.

I was using the royal "you"...not specifically you personally. I just don't know how people actually eat that *kitten*...or instant mashed potatoes...or canned cranberry gelatin whatever that thing is...or marshmallows in sweet potatoes...

gag.gif

I readily admit that I'm a total food snob though, which is probably one of the reasons I rock the kitchen...

giphy.gif

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    edited November 2016
    I can never judge stuffing because most people, at least at meals I've been to here, put chicken stock and sometimes bits of chicken or turkey into their stuffing. Then some people put in egg. IDK.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    This will be my first year to eat Vegan for Thanksgiving...I'm just starting this past week! I am interested in finding a Tofurkey and making Vegan dishes and gravy!
  • VeganValour
    VeganValour Posts: 3 Member
    I'm in the UK, so no Thanksgiving here......Happy Thanksgiving though!

This is my first Christmas as a Vegan and I'm visiting my brother and sister in law for five days, we usually have a big traditional (turkey, ham, pigs in blankets etc) and all the veg done in goose fat and butter :s . I don't know what to do about food, shall I just call and say? I can't decide which is ruder expecting them to cater for me or offering to bring my own stuff.

I usually love going there, but I'm kind of dreading it this year, anyone had a similar situation?
  • msdavie
    msdavie Posts: 2 Member
    stealthq wrote: »
    I always think Thanksgiving is easy as a vegetarian -- there are some many dishes, and only one of them is turkey! Trying to not think of them as "sides" but as simply delicious foods to eat, and maybe that will help?

That's what I would have thought. But OP has digestive issues with dairy and eggs, so that eliminates a bunch of common sides. Pretty much everything we serve for Thanksgiving has at least a good dose of butter. Most has butter and eggs or milk/cream.

At my family's Thanksgiving, poor OP would be stuck with just a side salad, cranberry sauce, and rolls!

Oh, and apple pie if we make one that year.

Butter is okay with me but it's like the straight up milk/cream or really soft cheese that cause issues.

I decided to do some things with butternut squash or acorn squash, those are in season now and wouldn't really clash with other dishes. Just hope I don't mess it up.

Acorn squash and butternut squash will be fantastic choices. Delicata squash with lots of cumin and salt and pepper is amazing! You could also try homemade pesto (basil, walnuts, olive oil, and vegetable stock) with spaghetti squash and sundried tomatoes. It's very filling and a hit at parties. Others could add their own parmesan if they like cheese in their pasta. I can't do milk or cheese either.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

This is my first Christmas as a Vegan and I'm visiting my brother and sister in law for five days, we usually have a big traditional (turkey, ham, pigs in blankets etc) and all the veg done in goose fat and butter :s . I don't know what to do about food, shall I just call and say? I can't decide which is ruder expecting them to cater for me or offering to bring my own stuff.

I usually love going there, but I'm kind of dreading it this year, anyone had a similar situation?

When I am invited someplace for the holidays, I offer to bring something. I always pick something that will serve as a nice main dish for me and usually a dessert. That way I can be pleasantly surprised but whatever else there is for me to eat, but I know that there will be at least something for me in the worst case scenario.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Also, I think a lot of people don't realize how many animal products make their way into things like boxed stuffing.

I don't use boxed stuffing (see above, where I outlined a very nice stuffing recipe in my menu), but many people do and I don't judge them for it - some people have busy lives and if you want to use boxed stuffing go for it; in fact, my mom prefers boxed stuffing, I made a giant homemade one and she brought over 4 boxes of stovetop for herself. Different strokes for different folks. I was just saying not everyone realizes that most of them are not vegetarian.

I was using the royal "you"...not specifically you personally. I just don't know how people actually eat that *kitten*...or instant mashed potatoes...or canned cranberry gelatin whatever that thing is...or marshmallows in sweet potatoes...

gag.gif

I readily admit that I'm a total food snob though, which is probably one of the reasons I rock the kitchen...

giphy.gif

That's my mom, she prefers it. She prefers the cranberry jelly log, the stove top stuffing, AND she likes instant mashed potatoes. I think her generation just never explored better food options, so these things remind them of happy times....on a similar vein, she said she would make a broccoli 2 nights ago. I came home (I'm living there temp) and she wasn't home, I found it in a pot on the stove. Boiled and disgraced......poor broccoli. I turned some of it into a stirfry with onion, mushroom, sweet potato, tempeh, and brown sugar, and baked the rest with butternut squash, carrot and onion in hazelnut oil with rosemary. She was blown away when she tried them, these things just don't occur to her :/ I'm good with a low-stress meal or menu, but I also want to enjoy what I'm eating, and never associate healthy foods with limp boiled yuckiness.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I can never judge stuffing because most people, at least at meals I've been to here, put chicken stock and sometimes bits of chicken or turkey into their stuffing. Then some people put in egg. IDK.

I do put egg in mine, but I'm not vegan...I always have vegetarian friends over so I use vegetable stock in my stuffing and make a batch in the oven and stuff another batch into the bird
  • terrybear1
    terrybear1 Posts: 1 Member
    Native Foods has a delicious Native Wellington, completely vegan. A little pricey, but definitely worth it.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member

It's family, I'm sure you won't upset them. Do they know you're vegan? I wouldn't bring it up prior to going, then they might go shopping and -think- they've got you covered when really they don't. Maybe when you get there, you can ask them if there will be any vegan options for you: bread, sauces, vegetables cooked in a nice oil like peanut or hazelnut, a cornbread stuffing casserole or yeast rolls etc. One of my vegan friends has had to bring her own meals to potlucks and even out to restaurants, so you're not alone in it. Anyway, I wouldn't be shy about it, if there's literally nothing for you to eat in the end, it says more about them than you- but again, it's family, I'm sure they'll be fine accommodating you.
  • blairbuys1
    blairbuys1 Posts: 1 Member
    There are some great ideas for vegan Thanksgiving here: http://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/thanksgiving-menu-2016/
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member

I don't use boxed stuffing (see above, where I outlined a very nice stuffing recipe in my menu), but many people do and I don't judge them for it - some people have busy lives and if you want to use boxed stuffing go for it; in fact, my mom prefers boxed stuffing, I made a giant homemade baked apple walnut sage stuffing once and she brought over 4 boxes of stovetop for herself. Different strokes for different folks. I was just saying not everyone realizes that most of them are not vegetarian.
    Your mom is cool. I prefer box cake to home made cake most of the time.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    I made this last Christmas and it was so good - even my husband's very traditional meat-and-two-veg-eating uncle liked it and took a piece home: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/mushroom-and-squash-vegetarian-wellington/

that looks super freaken good!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    If it wasn't for my 10 year old daughter insisting on a traditional dinner (just us three, no family for 2000 miles), I'd be eating a huge bowl of chana masala with some naan. Or some kind of tomato, basil, and goat cheese salad with fresh grilled pita bread.
  • Michaelxo444
    Michaelxo444 Posts: 225 Member
    I like to keep it simple I make a gardien holiday roast some vegan stuffing organic and I'll cut up some tofurky sausage and throw that into the stuffing I use organic low sodium vegetable brooth to make the stuffing and I'll make some potatoes and some veggies and for dessert I'll make vegan brownies with some icing I never tried the tofurky roast this is my secound thanksgiving as a vegan lol
  • Michaelxo444
    Michaelxo444 Posts: 225 Member
    Broth*^
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    My mom does our Christmas dinner entirely vegan so it's usually either tofurky roast or gardien holiday roast with mashed potatoes and the stuffing she has made my whole life easily was veganized ,plus gravy and some kind of vegetable ,buns and cranberry sauce

Various chips will be out for snacks throughout the day as well

For dessert I make caramel apple crisp . I also this year am getting a chocolate cake from the grocery store thAt is from a vegan bakery you can buy at any grocery store here in Ontario which is lucky..plus ice cream

For my one other Christmas meal with family they have learned how to make certain sides vegan for me so I can eat those while there and I just skip dessert I'll eat my dessert at my Christmas dinner with mom . Other years before they learned how to veganize stuff I just brought my own food to this dinner

We had thanksgiving here in October but I have not celebrated it in four or so years so it's not a thing for me anymore
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    I had a time were I wasn't vegetarian and was gluten free upon a doctor's suggestion which turned out was for no reasons since I didn't have celiac disease or a wheat allergy or whatever but I am having a hard time telling people including family that it's okay that I don't need gluten free. I just tried to tell my mom again yesterday. Totally didn't get through.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member

gag.gif

giphy.gif

oh maaan i love marshmallows on sweet potatoes. I mash sweet potatoes then make a brown sugar whiskey sauce and pour it over the sweet potatos and pecans and top with marshmallows ugh its one of my faves.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    i am transitioning back into vegetarianism so i will be eating everything but the turkey and im making a vegetarian stuffing (i dont stuff the bird) and gravy. I make so much stuff and this year will be cooking for 10-12 people. Its so fun for me since im not a chef anymore.