Running and lifting, switching back and forth in frequency?

Options
I am a 37 year old female, 5'5", 132-133 lbs. I have lost 30 lbs since last January and am currently in a maintenance/recomp phase. I currently do strength training (Strong Curves at the moment) 3x/week and run 3x/week (about 12 miles a week - 3m, 3m, 6m).

I have a goal to run a half marathon in Fall 2017. I don't have a specific time goal, just to finish, but currently training runs are around 10 min/mile.

However, I am also interested in doing another day of weightlifting to hopefully put on a bit more muscle this winter. I won't say I am doing a "bulk", but calories would be firmly at maintenance. I would want to start this once I finish Strong Curves in January.

So my plan would be to cut back to running 2x/week starting in January (3m, 6m). Increase lifting to 4x/week.

I would then like to transition in the spring/summer to the opposite and do 4x/week running (to train more for the half marathon) and 2x/week lifting (to maintain strength/muscle).

Does this sound reasonable? At what point would I transition to be adequately trained for the half? Any other considerations?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Adding another day of lifting isn't necessarily going to add more muscle, especially if you are still going to eat at maintenance. You can keep the same program (or another 3x week lifting/3x week running schedule) the whole way thru until your half if you really wanted. Especially if you have no time goal. This book was mentioned in another thread, but the "Hybrid Athlete" by Alex Viada is all about being as strong as possible while also doing endurance events.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    The goal of doing 4x/week would be to move to a split vs. full body routine. So would be an increase in total training volume. My understanding is that volume -> hypertrophy (more muscle)?

Thanks for the book recommendation, will check it out :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I agree that you may want to consider a small surplus over winter, if you want to gain a bit of muscle. Otherwise, sounds good.
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    I don't think I'm lean enough to do a surplus, really.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    I am a 37 year old female, 5'5", 132-133 lbs. I have lost 30 lbs since last January and am currently in a maintenance/recomp phase. I currently do strength training (Strong Curves at the moment) 3x/week and run 3x/week (about 12 miles a week - 3m, 3m, 6m).

I have a goal to run a half marathon in Fall 2017. I don't have a specific time goal, just to finish, but currently training runs are around 10 min/mile.

However, I am also interested in doing another day of weightlifting to hopefully put on a bit more muscle this winter. I won't say I am doing a "bulk", but calories would be firmly at maintenance. I would want to start this once I finish Strong Curves in January.

So my plan would be to cut back to running 2x/week starting in January (3m, 6m). Increase lifting to 4x/week.

I would then like to transition in the spring/summer to the opposite and do 4x/week running (to train more for the half marathon) and 2x/week lifting (to maintain strength/muscle).

Does this sound reasonable? At what point would I transition to be adequately trained for the half? Any other considerations?

Many people train seasonally. I'm a cyclist and there aren't really cycling events in the winter....I still ride, but I do so mostly to maintain some kind of reasonable baseline to pick up with in the spring. I lift more in the winter...the gym is warm and like I said, I don't really have anything to train for during the winter.

And yes...you are fine to do this while eating at maintenance...you don't need a surplus unless you want to actually bulk like a body builder/physique competitor/power lifter, etc. Plenty of people create nice fitness bodies by simply training and eating well and eating in maintenance. In the four years I've been doing this, I've done one bulk just out of curiosity...overrated for what my actual goals are...
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If your base long run now is 6 miles, you'll easily be able to train for a half in the 8-12 week range if your goal is just completion. I run and lift and I always start out doing both, but ultimately as I need/want to progress with either lifting or running, one suffers. I like to do a 4 day split (PHUL) and I try to keep my 2 tempo runs (3-4 miles) on my upper days and my long run (6-8 miles) on an off lifting day. Note, I do cardio after lifting. This works for me for a while. About a month out from race day, I tend to add in another running day or two depending on what race is coming up and my lifting becomes secondary. As far as calories, I tend to eat at maintenance and go by hunger too (disclaimer, only weight loss I've gone through has been for postpartum, so I don't tend to worry too much about calories).
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    If you switch to lifting only 2x a week that won't cause you to maintain any muscle. Plus it takes time to put muscle on so I don't know how much you would really gain between January and the spring/summer. I do both weight lifting and c25k on the same days. C25k I do 3 times a week and weight lifting is 4-5 times a week.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    So my plan would be to cut back to running 2x/week starting in January (3m, 6m).

Personally I'd aim to maintain mileage at not less than 12mi per week. I really wouldn't aim to enter a plan for HM on only 9mi pw.

If you only want to run twice then make both 6mi if you can.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Do a bit of research on half marathon training. Where I live theres a race which is a bit over half of your race. They had 12 week programs available for different levels. From memory it was 3 runs a week, short, med and 1 long run 2 days of strength and one day of stretching/swim/cycle or other activity not too strenuous and 1 rest day. It gave good info on what pace each run should be at etc. It also covered extra rest days just before the race.

But I dont see an issue with swapping frequency of each exercise around in the meantime.
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    If your base long run now is 6 miles, you'll easily be able to train for a half in the 8-12 week range if your goal is just completion. I run and lift and I always start out doing both, but ultimately as I need/want to progress with either lifting or running, one suffers. I like to do a 4 day split (PHUL) and I try to keep my 2 tempo runs (3-4 miles) on my upper days and my long run (6-8 miles) on an off lifting day. Note, I do cardio after lifting. This works for me for a while. About a month out from race day, I tend to add in another running day or two depending on what race is coming up and my lifting becomes secondary. As far as calories, I tend to eat at maintenance and go by hunger too (disclaimer, only weight loss I've gone through has been for postpartum, so I don't tend to worry too much about calories).

So you run 3x and lift 4x/week? How many full rest days do you take?

I supposed I could add in a 2 mile treadmill run on an upper day if the workout was short enough. That's definitely an idea. I would just have to change shoes.

I don't think I could do 6 miles 2x/week just due to time constraints in my 5 am run (ideal to get back before kids wake up so that husband can sleep). I could easily do 4 or 4.5 though. So if I did 4x/week of strength, a 2 mi treadmill run on upper day, 4 mi run by itself and 6 mi run by itself, I would still be at 12miles/week.