Rheumatoid Arthritis and exercise

Options
Just wondering if anyone else has RA or advice for exercise for people with RA. I have RA in my feet, ankles, knees and shoulders so find it difficult to exercise. I've been told that my RA pain may get better when I lose weight but finding it hard to just diet and not exercise!

Replies

• leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone else has RA or advice for exercise for people with RA. I have RA in my feet, ankles, knees and shoulders so find it difficult to exercise. I've been told that my RA pain may get better when I lose weight but finding it hard to just diet and not exercise!

Absolutely your pain will be reduced from weight loss. As well as the benefits from the exercise as well. I have OA, not RA, so I know the pain is different but I do have a couple of suggestions for you. First, have you talked with your Rheumatologists for any recommendations that he/she may have? They would be my first place to go. I'm sure they might be able to recommend the types of exercises based upon your specific areas of involvement with your RA. They may even know of places you can go to work out.

That would be the other thing. Finding someplace to workout. Could water exercises be easier for you? Do you live near a gym or a YMCA that offers water classes? A lot of places do. Or if you could, find a personal trainer who is very qualified and experienced in dealing with issus such as this. You aren't just looking for your every day garden variety gym bunny, but someone who can help you work with any limitations your RA places on you. And maybe get through those limitations. I know my trainer has helped me get through total knee replacement 10 months ago. I wouldn't be where I am without him.

Another option would be a few sessions with a physical therapist. They also might have some good suggestions on exercises you could do. They couldn't train you obviously, but could certainly give you exercises you could do to help you get started on your own.

Anything you can do will help. Any weight loss will help your RA. Diet is great. Exercise is great. But together they work so much better.

Good luck.