How do you calculate weight of things like chichen thighs etc?

Options
You don't eat the bone obviously....Do I just do a rough estimate? ( Please don't say I have to cut it all off the bone and then weigh it?!)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I always just guestimated the best I can...but I also don't eat bone in all that often...I do like thighs, but I usually eat boneless skinless...I love wings, but when I'm eating wings, all bets are off and I'm just eating wings...
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Ps and whilst on the subject: pasta and rice - do I weigh them cooked or uncooked?
  • littlebritttfit
    littlebritttfit Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i always eat boneless. i don't like chicken on the bone. grosses me out. but, if i ever DO have it on the bone, i will literally de-bone it first, then weight it, and THEN put it on my plate. or just guesstimate about what it is. i normally over estimate a little just to be sure.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I always just guestimated the best I can...but I also don't eat bone in all that often...I do like thighs, but I usually eat boneless skinless...I love wings, but when I'm eating wings, all bets are off and I'm just eating wings...

Yep,me too! And thighs and drumsticks. I
    My goal is weight gain so I don't want to assume I'm eating more than I actually am.
    Thanks!
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    i always eat boneless. i don't like chicken on the bone. grosses me out. but, if i ever DO have it on the bone, i will literally de-bone it first, then weight it, and THEN put it on my plate. or just guesstimate about what it is. i normally over estimate a little just to be sure.

I like it bone and skin on,though you're right - it's a bit gross. Cutting it all off first takes the fun out of picking it up and eating it with your fingers .....Sigh
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Ps and whilst on the subject: pasta and rice - do I weigh them cooked or uncooked?

The package should say...generally speaking, things like this are for the raw/uncooked weight.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    OK, thank you
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Probably the easiest way (if you want accuracy and not a guess) is to weigh it beforehand, eat it, then weigh the bones afterward. If you're doing numerous pieces, like chicken wings, and they are consistently sized, you can probably weigh one before and after rather than the whole pile. Personally, I have had success estimating, or relying on the Lee's (or whatever) nutritional data, but it just depends on how easily you are losing and what your logging goals are.

Actually- that never occurred to me! Thanks- I'll do that.
  • reyoflightphoto
    reyoflightphoto Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Weigh it, eat it, weigh what's left. For pasta and the like, if you weigh it cooked log "cooked" pasta. If you weigh it before cooking log it as "uncooked". I log mine as cooked because I cook for the family and don't want to cook mine separately after weighing it.
    I don't recommend questimating anything. The more you take control of your food intake the more you have control of your results.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Are you familiar with the palm of your hand? The (x,y,z) of your hand is about 4 ounces of meat. I use the "weigh raw and weigh bones afterward method", and refrain from chicken-fried as the added oil, flour, milk, eggs is un-measurable.
  • mattdhall
    mattdhall Posts: 85 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Probably the easiest way (if you want accuracy and not a guess) is to weigh it beforehand, eat it, then weigh the bones afterward. If you're doing numerous pieces, like chicken wings, and they are consistently sized, you can probably weigh one before and after rather than the whole pile. Personally, I have had success estimating, or relying on the Lee's (or whatever) nutritional data, but it just depends on how easily you are losing and what your logging goals are.

+1 for this. I love steak. I prefer boneless, but sometimes the bone-in steaks are really cheap. I weigh the meat before I cook it, then I weigh the bones and any portion I didn't eat afterwards and subtract.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    As above, I weigh raw, cook, eat, weigh the bone, subtract. It's not perfect as bone does contain some nutrient that will leech during cooking, but honestly, if that puts you in a surplus, your tracking was off elsewhere.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Weigh the bone after you're done chewing the meat off :) It might be a bit lighter than when the meat was uncooked, but close enough, and on the conservative side.

Weigh raw meat (optional, depends on your preference of when you like to weigh your meat)
    Cook meat.
    Weigh cooked meat (optional. But pick either raw or cooked and make sure the database entry matches)
    Eat meat.
    Weigh bone.
    Subtract weight of bone from raw meat or cooked meat.
    Enter into MFP.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Actually- that never occurred to me! Thanks- I'll do that.

It didn't occur to me either till I read it on another thread here. :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If I'm being super picky, I'll weigh the chicken, eat it, weight the bones, then subtract the difference.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Weigh the bone after you're done chewing the meat off :) It might be a bit lighter than when the meat was uncooked, but close enough, and on the conservative side.

Weigh raw meat (optional, depends on your preference of when you like to weigh your meat)
    Cook meat.
    Weigh cooked meat (optional. But pick either raw or cooked and make sure the database entry matches)
    Eat meat.
    Weigh bone.
    Enter into MFP.

Thank you! I'm so damn germ-phobic that I'd probably feel compelled to soak my scales in bleach after putting raw chicken on them. Think I'll do what you and a couple of others have suggested - weigh it cooked,eat it then weigh the remains.
    My family will have me certified :smiley:
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Are you familiar with the palm of your hand? The (x,y,z) of your hand is about 4 ounces of meat. I use the "weigh raw and weigh bones afterward method", and refrain from chicken-fried as the added oil, flour, milk, eggs is un-measurable.

Thank you- I didn't know this; useful to know!
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    In my experience, I take off the bone, then weigh the meat (cooked). Then I weigh the bone because I save it to make broth.

If they're wings, then I would probably just subtract the difference.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Cook meat.
    Eat meat.
    Weigh bone.
    Enter into MFP.

Thank you! I'm so damn germ-phobic that I'd probably feel compelled to soak my scales in bleach after putting raw chicken on them. Think I'll do what you and a couple of others have suggested - weigh it cooked,eat it then weigh the remains.
    My family will have me certified :smiley:

Does your scale have a "tare" or "zero" function? I always put a plate on my scale, zero it out, and put anything raw on that instead. Then that gets popped into the dishwasher!

I think I heard that it's not the most sanitary to put food directly on the scale anyway!