What exactly does the body burn after a morning workout?

I know my question might be stupid, but I've always wondered, what does our body burn after a morning workout (on an Empty stomach for eg)? Calories from the previous day? Muscles? Is this type of workout still effective?

I really like to workout in the mornings but I'm afraid that it could be somehow dangerous as I felt lightheaded sometimes, so I avoid it.

Would love to hear any opinion on this!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I do 2 workouts most days before eating (morning and noon)...your body is *hopefully* burning stored fat anytime you are working out after more than 12 hours of not eating.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Muscle is usually last to go so assume fat storage if exercising fasted.
  • realashk
    realashk Posts: 1 Member
    I worked out like this in the morning because I heard working out with empty stomach in the morning burns fat because you burn all carbohydrates you had received on previous day at the night while sleeping,I tried it and didn't have any problem this morning but I suggest don't eat huge lunch after that or you fall sleep
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    I really like to workout in the mornings but I'm afraid that it could be somehow dangerous as I felt lightheaded sometimes, so I avoid it.

Probably from low blood sugar, so try having a cup of juice before you workout.

Working out in a fasted state does break down some muscle to convert it to blood sugar, but the amount of muscle is tiny and it's repaired later on if you're eating enough protein/calories. :+1:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,076 Member
    I know my question might be stupid, but I've always wondered, what does our body burn after a morning workout (on an Empty stomach for eg)? Calories from the previous day? Muscles? Is this type of workout still effective?

Would love to hear any opinion on this!

Some combination of blood glucose, stored glycogen, fat, and lean body mass. Hard to guess which or how much relatively of each without knowing your current weight, BF%, whether you have been in a calorie deficit in recent days, how large that calorie deficit has been, and how many calories your morning workout burns, and then hooking you up to a machine to monitor the chemical composition of your exhalations. :)

In general, though, I'd say that unless you feel dizzy or otherwise unwell, or feel like you don't have the energy to perform the way you want, I wouldn't worry about the timing of your workout relative to your food consumption. That's assuming that you're not in such a deep deficit that you would be sacrificing unnecessary amounts of muscle no matter when during the day you worked out.

Just noticed you said that it does make you feel lighthearted, but you like to work out in a.m. Have you tried having a small snack before you work out? (Something quick if time is an issue -- you could grab a banana and a hard-boiled egg, nuts, a protein bar, etc.)
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    edited November 2016
    your body burns glycogen which is stored in the muscles. up to about an hour of moderate exercise, you should have enough glycogen stored for this purpose.if your exercise is longer than an hour, you should eat something beforehand.