Multi vitamins

Options
Do you take them? Should I start? On this MFP journey I don't think I've even come close to meeting vitamin goals more then maybe once. I used to get vitamins from juice but have tried (not always successfully) to avoid drinking my calories

Replies

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I do. I have had a vitamin D deficiency in my history as well as being deficient in other nutrients. This was discovered from blood work taken at the Dr. I take a multi vitamin at least 4 times a week. I don't take it if I have something that is fortified such as cereal. If I have days where I know my eating is lacking, I definitely take one.
  • ThorneDust
    ThorneDust Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I take them, but I have very unique nutritional needs due to surgical changes made to my intestinal tract. However, I do think most people (especially if you are doing low enough calories for weight loss) can usually benefit from a good multivitamin everyday. And a lot of folks have D deficiencies as well. I did even before I had my surgery, and I've always thought of myself as a healthy eater and I thought I got enough sun as well but I guess I didn't. So in summary, yes multivitamin is probably a good idea, also a good idea to get your blood tested for any deficiencies to see if you need to supplement anything else for good health.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    You probably won't be able to use the MFP database to truly account for vitamin/mineral intake as most don't include that info in the entries. I normally go off of the premise that if I am in a deficit and even though I am eating a varied diet, I am not eating enough food to maintain my current bodyweight, thus I might not be getting enough vitamins and minerals from a health perspective, so I take one as insurance...just in case. If I am eating at maintenance or surplus and eating a varied diet, then I am getting enough and don't take one.

This is outside of the scenario of being low in something due to some health/medical reason that is confirmed with bloodwork/Dr., etc...
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I started chewing Vitafusion gorgeous hair, skin and nail multivitamins. They're gummies. 30 calories for 3 but I look forward to them. Sad I know but dang they taste good.
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I don't take a multi, but I do take specific vitamins that I've tested low for: vitamin D and B-12.

The dose I take daily to get me into the reference range for D in particular is higher than the typical levels in multivitamins, so that's another factor for me.

• llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    My full lineup consists of B-complex, D, Biotin, C, Probiotics and Cranberry. I do find the B and D help with my general energy and mood level. Not a huge difference, but noticeable.
    I tried Iron/Calcium/Magnesium... I don't think I'll be incorporating them as they cause ...stoppage... like I've never known.

If I'm at my boyfriends I just take a Women's Daily and a probiotic. I should get a double supply of my usual because it not the same levels of each.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, YES. It's hard enough to Tetris in my daily calorie, fiber and protein goal without also having to worry about hitting 21 different vitamins and minerals.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I take pre-natal vitamins, Biotin, and B6 because I am breastfeeding.