Can I lose weight and eat out?

Options
13»

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    slunburg wrote: »
    What kind of job requires that you eat out every day? It is tough to lose weight and eat out as many options are high calorie. I don't eat fast food at all and I don't recommend that fast food be a part of any weight loss program.

Really? I had fast food yesterday and still ended up with extra calories at the end of the day.

7h74peax75nd.png

OP, there are several ways you could go about it. Have you looked into intermittent fasting where you restrict your intake to a certain eating window? In this version of Intermittent fasting you basically skip a meal or two (would be breakfast, or breakfast and lunch in your case) and concentrate your calories into one meal and possibly a few snacks, which would allow you to eat the same portions you are used to most of the time.

Some other options would things like increasing your activity level for extra calories, having smaller breakfast and lunch, being picky with your restaurant menus ordering lower calorie options, leaving a portion of the food on the plate, eating lower calorie days to save up calories for days you expect a social dinner, or a combination of several strategies. I have managed to eat out even on my fasting days when my calorie budget is only 800 calories. After a while you get good at manipulating your intake to fit in your social life and career.

WOW! I don't get anywhere near that number of calories. At 1300 a day I CANNOT eat out at a deficit. I can't imagine you are eating at a deficit with that kind of calorie goal...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Lol.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It's been answered, but heck yeah! We just had a birthday lunch last weekend. Mexican. I got shrimp fajitas, didn't eat the tortillas (you can do that, LOL, tortillas are fine, I just wanted to bank those calories I would have eaten for dinner instead). Was fuller than full, came in under 500 calories and had tons of veggies for the health factor, which I've been working on specifically during the latter half of this year.

I mean I had to roll myself away from that table, I actually woudn't eat as much of the dish next time, thought I was going to go full Creosote. Given the giant size of restaurant portions I had leftovers anyway and had them for lunch the next day. :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you personally can, but one certainly can lose weight eating out. Difficulty comes from having to estimate your calorie intake rather than being able to measure it as you can with prepared meals.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    What kind of job requires that you eat out every day? It is tough to lose weight and eat out as many options are high calorie. I don't eat fast food at all and I don't recommend that fast food be a part of any weight loss program.

Really? I had fast food yesterday and still ended up with extra calories at the end of the day.

7h74peax75nd.png

OP, there are several ways you could go about it. Have you looked into intermittent fasting where you restrict your intake to a certain eating window? In this version of Intermittent fasting you basically skip a meal or two (would be breakfast, or breakfast and lunch in your case) and concentrate your calories into one meal and possibly a few snacks, which would allow you to eat the same portions you are used to most of the time.

Some other options would things like increasing your activity level for extra calories, having smaller breakfast and lunch, being picky with your restaurant menus ordering lower calorie options, leaving a portion of the food on the plate, eating lower calorie days to save up calories for days you expect a social dinner, or a combination of several strategies. I have managed to eat out even on my fasting days when my calorie budget is only 800 calories. After a while you get good at manipulating your intake to fit in your social life and career.

WOW! I don't get anywhere near that number of calories. At 1300 a day I CANNOT eat out at a deficit. I can't imagine you are eating at a deficit with that kind of calorie goal...

You cant imagine losing weight eating 2400 a day? I can see that easily, with activity 2400 nets me about 1 pound lost per week and I'm not even overweight really. I maintain at about 3000. If I were obese probably wouldn't even need the activity to lose at that amount. 2400 is probably my lean no activity maintenance.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

7h74peax75nd.png

Different people with different activity levels, ages, heights, etc., have different TDEEs. Some are much higher than others. So it is very possible that this person was in a deficit.
    First, I would not call telling someone to watch their sodium intake "medical advice" and secondly, very few people suffer from low bp (although I do). I can raise it without eating super unhealthy fast food though. Even if you can balance the calories, fast food will never be "healthy" and should certainly be eaten infrequently and in moderation.

You can't go around calling individual foods/meals healthy or unhealthy. It is the context of the overall diet that matters. A cyclist with a large amount of calories to eat who rides a fair distance daily is not going to fret over the "unhealthy" burger he/she ate if their overall diet is varied and macros/micros are generally met.

Another way for you to picture this - since you consider fast food to be "unhealthy," would you consider grilled chicken breast and steamed broccoli a "healthy" choice? Either one of these foods can be part of an overall healthy diet, but if one were to eat a diet consisting only of the "healthy" chicken breast/broccoli, they would be severely lacking fat and many other nutrients that are found in other foods. But no one is going to eat a diet of nothing but chicken breast/broccoli, and the vast majority of people do not eat a diet of nothing but fast food.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

7h74peax75nd.png

I only get 1380 now and I can eat out and feel full, full, full and stay within my calorie goals. I go for a salad with dressing on the side or if at a Mexican place, I'll top my salad with salsa. Or I get some sort of fish with veggies, or chicken, or an eggwhite omelet with a cup of fruit. I haven't had any trouble eating out at get-togethers.

Granted that example was McDonald's but they have salads too (though their salads are pretty bland), or I'd get a lettuce-wrapped grilled chicken or lettuce-wrapped burger or whatever...there's food there that would fit into my calorie goals.

I do get Del Taco every once in a while and their regular tacos are only I think 160 calories...I can have two. Or at The Habit, their lettuce-wrapped char is under 300. (I would have to look these up for the exact counts as I don't remember off the top of my head but that's the ballpark.) Then a salad can go on the side and as I said, after that I'm feeling quite full.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    We grab Chick Fil A with some frequency. I typically get the grilled nuggets or grilled sandwich with a large superfood salad, depending on how many calories I want to spend on the satisfaction of having a bun. I squirt on a packet of their bbq honey and it's pretty good.

At Chipotle I get a kids meal with beans, rice, fajita veggies, and a chicken quesadilla.

At Noodles & Co I will either get a small med salad w/ grilled chicken, penne rosa w/ grilled chicken, or spicy Korean beef.

At Red Robin I get the chicken ensanada platter w/ two chicken pieces.

Oh. And Modmarket I get a half three cheese pizza with a side of arugula salad.

That's all I've really tried since being on MFP.

Our life is crazy busy, so convenience foods are a part of that and I've just had to learn how to adapt to keep it within my calories. We have scaled back on how often we lean-to restaurants, but sometimes it's unavoidable and between these places which are all in my area, I always have something to turn to that fits my needs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    kcb0308 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    I am struggling to find a solution that will allow me to sustain a long-term weight loss strategy. Due to the nature of my job, I eat out every day, some days restaurant style and some days fast food. I would like y'alls opinion on whether or not you believe I can lose weight counting calories if I'm eating out everyday at work.

Thank you all in advance!

Yeah, but IMO and experience, eating out regularly makes things more difficult. Why can't you brown bag some days?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    First, I would not call telling someone to watch their sodium intake "medical advice" and secondly, very few people suffer from low bp (although I do). I can raise it without eating super unhealthy fast food though. Even if you can balance the calories, fast food will never be "healthy" and should certainly be eaten infrequently and in moderation.

Actually, low BP is not a rare condition...

Also, one's sodium intake and what is appropriate will be highly variable...you can have too much, but you can also have too little...the more active you are, the more sodium you need, etc. I often take a couple swigs of pickle juice for example after a long sweaty ride...
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Consultants that travel weekly for work, stay in a hotel and get paid a per diem usually eat out daily. One could buy groceries and bring back to the hotel but why when you can eat out for free:).

I think fast food has "healthy" options as well but any option as long as it's in your calorie goal is fine too. Most people eat fast food occasionally some eat it often and still lose weight.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I eat out at least once a week. I've lost about 39 pounds so far. I seldom go to places where menus are posted with any kind of nutritional info. Logging is a challenge so I try to estimate and I will usually overestimate because really I have no idea.. I will typically drink more water if the food is high in sodium. If my entree can be ordered as a small plate, I'll do that. Unless the bread/rolls that come with my meal are supposed to be phenomenal, I skip those, dressing on the side, etc. I'll also try to get in more walking/steps if I'm eating out.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

7h74peax75nd.png

That day was 1463 net calories, or a bit over 500 calorie deficit for me. That's only 163 calories higher than your budget. I was supposed to eat at maintenance because I'm doing alternate day fasting (1 day at 800 calories, maintenance the next), but I failed to make it to maintenance yesterday. This is what today looks like:

4gx7b0i1zro8.png

Regardless, if you remove the pie and replace the fries with apple slices it's pretty much manageable even for lower goals.