Does anyone else feel like they rarely see hedgehogs?

Options

Replies

• Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Saw plenty in Georgia during the day.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Well I live in England and we

ahem. my sister lives in england and complains regularly about the hedgehog sex life going on on her compost heap.

true story. apparently the answer to 'how do hedgehogs do it' is 'very VERY loudly'. not surprising, i guess.
    Just imagine thousands of sharp needles lodging in your most sensitive parts with every thryst.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a hedgehog in the wild. I don't believe they are native to North America.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,452 Member
    Options
    Not native to Australia ..so not seen them

Looks like you have plenty of experts willing to impart their knowledge though ..lol
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    There are seventeen species of hedgehog in five genera, found through parts of Europe, Asia, and Africa, and in New Zealand by introduction. There are no hedgehogs native to Australia, and no living species native to the Americas (the extinct genus Amphechinus was once present in North America).

6acynsg5zx9m.gif
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

Looks like you have plenty of experts willing to impart their knowledge though ..lol

It is a very important topic, please be serious. A girl can't have any meaningful relationship until she's clear on her hedgehog values
  • bromleymart
    bromleymart Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Louise1491 wrote: »
    Well I live in England and we basically have no wildlife here except for cats dogs and horses so I thought that might of been the reason but clearly not.

They must be extinct which saddens me deeply.

I live in England and have seen a lot of hedgehogs.where do you live?

Also, hedgehogs are primarily nocturnal, try looking in bushes during the day, just don't act sketchy when doing so.

Unless you mean the other hedgehog urban dictionary definition...then...I dunno. I heard somebody had two ribs taken out so that they could achieve it.

I live in Brighton. Can hedgehogs swim?

OK I will ask them nicely to reveal themselves before me, and then engage them in casual conversation being careful not to cause suspicion.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,452 Member
    Options
    dc6088 wrote: »

It is a very important topic, please be serious. A girl can't have any meaningful relationship until she's clear on her hedgehog values

Aww then I guess I will never have a meaningful relationship ..should I move to a place that has hedgehogs? ;)
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Louise1491 wrote: »
    Well I live in England and we basically have no wildlife here except for cats dogs and horses so I thought that might of been the reason but clearly not.

They must be extinct which saddens me deeply.

I live in England and have seen a lot of hedgehogs.where do you live?

Also, hedgehogs are primarily nocturnal, try looking in bushes during the day, just don't act sketchy when doing so.

Unless you mean the other hedgehog urban dictionary definition...then...I dunno. I heard somebody had two ribs taken out so that they could achieve it.

I live in Brighton. Can hedgehogs swim?

OK I will ask them nicely to reveal themselves before me, and then engage them in casual conversation being careful not to cause suspicion.

England here too. I've seen one once about 30 yrs ago. It was adorable but covered in fleas. They are becoming much rarer now, possibly endangered and they've been on the news lately regarding this.

http://www.hedgehogstreet.org/pages/help-hedgehogs.html
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    There are seventeen species of hedgehog in five genera, found through parts of Europe, Asia, and Africa, and in New Zealand by introduction. There are no hedgehogs native to Australia, and no living species native to the Americas (the extinct genus Amphechinus was once present in North America).

6acynsg5zx9m.gif

Now I want a hedgehog as a pet...
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    They have been very scarce this Year, normally get a few in the garden driving the dog insane but none at all. Did see a couple in marshy areas though where I'd never seen them before!
  • kkarcher94511
    kkarcher94511 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    never seen one in the wild before ever! though, working in an animal hospital we see pet hedgies from time to time, I think they adorable!
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    We have a family of woodchucks that live under our shed out back. My dogs keep wanting to play with them lol. No hedgehogs though.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Now if you'd asked about foxes and squirrels!? They're all over the place, come right up to my kitchen door to look at me. And I'm in London, not the countryside at all.
  • flymyprettyfly
    flymyprettyfly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the numbers are decreasing because people are paving their gardens and putting up walls instead of having hedges. This means the hogs can't wander through the hedges to meet other hogs.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i have a pet hedgehog :) but never seen one in the wild, only in pet stores sadly
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have a pet hedgehog as well. She just turned 5! :)