Has anyone else hit a plateau after the first 10 lbs lost????

Options
2»

Replies

• crissy976
    crissy976 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bearbo27 wrote: »
    Lack of food scale is your issue guaranteed. Just curious, how do you even log something like chickens breast accurately without a scale? I promise that if you get a food scale and weigh everything you eat, the weight will start to come off again. My guess is the first few pounds you lost were water weight, followed by a few more due to an overall calorie reduction. To have anymore decent weight loss you need to be more accurate in your logging.

This does make a lot of sense. Honestly, I've been pretty much guessing if my chicken, beef, etc... are about 2 oz or 4 oz, etc... So I definitely see your point of the food scale. I just always have a deficit at the end of the day, so I figured if I was off, my deficit would take care of it. Plus, MFP suggests for me to actually eat MORE calories than I'm eating now. So I thought I was "safe." lol
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    crissy976 wrote: »
    Lack of food scale is your issue guaranteed. Just curious, how do you even log something like chickens breast accurately without a scale? I promise that if you get a food scale and weigh everything you eat, the weight will start to come off again. My guess is the first few pounds you lost were water weight, followed by a few more due to an overall calorie reduction. To have anymore decent weight loss you need to be more accurate in your logging.

This does make a lot of sense. Honestly, I've been pretty much guessing if my chicken, beef, etc... are about 2 oz or 4 oz, etc... So I definitely see your point of the food scale. I just always have a deficit at the end of the day, so I figured if I was off, my deficit would take care of it. Plus, MFP suggests for me to actually eat MORE calories than I'm eating now. So I thought I was "safe." lol

A scale makes all the difference. I started out without one and lost fine, but then I decided to give it a shot. It adds another layer of accountability. It is surprising how off some foods can be. Now that I am at maintenance knowing exactly how much I am eating is very important. I don't have much wiggle room. As far as being 40, don't use that for an excuse. I did that for years and at 62, I'm not using that excuse anymore. My metabolism is just fine as long as I keep moving. Sure, I don't get to eat as much which kind of sucks, but it's still better than being overweight.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have that video I've seen posted about the difference a food scale makes? I don't know how to post videos but I think it would be good for OP to see
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I'm going to try to "shock" my body by switching things up a bit. Maybe my body has become "used to" my ways of dieting for the past month and has grown comfortable with the initial changes.

Your body hasn't adapted to anything you have been doing for a month in any significant way that would stall your losses for two weeks from losing 2lb/week. "Shocking" it, whatever that means, isn't necessary.

I just figure it might be used to what I've been doing for the past 5 weeks or so. I've read that if you change things up a bit (or like I called it, "shocking" ... lol) it might give my body a metabolism boost. No?

No such thing. :o Follow the advice given above and consider readjusting your expectations. :)
  • crissy976
    Options
    [/quote]A scale makes all the difference. I started out without one and lost fine, but then I decided to give it a shot. It adds another layer of accountability. It is surprising how off some foods can be. Now that I am at maintenance knowing exactly how much I am eating is very important. I don't have much wiggle room. As far as being 40, don't use that for an excuse. I did that for years and at 62, I'm not using that excuse anymore. My metabolism is just fine as long as I keep moving. Sure, I don't get to eat as much which kind of sucks, but it's still better than being overweight.[/quote]

LOL... I really don't use my age as an excuse.. lol. I've read and seen on tv (yes, I know... don't believe everything you see and read.. ha ha!) that as we age, our metabolism slows down, yada yada yada... but I AM taking all of your advice and investing in a food scale.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

If I buy chicken breasts, they come in a package that says something like "0.363 kg" because you pay by weight where I live. So, I don't reweigh meat that the butcher already weighed.

But there are lots of things you really do need to weigh to know if your portions are accurate. Off the top of my head, I'd say bread (the slice size listed on the package is rarely right), cereal, nuts, nut butter and fruit.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Does anyone have that video I've seen posted about the difference a food scale makes? I don't know how to post videos but I think it would be good for OP to see

https://youtu.be/vjKPIcI51lU
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you can honestly 100% say that you have weighed and tracked every calorie that you have eaten or drank and have stuck to your calorie goal then you have nothing to worry about. You are in a calorie deficit and the body is burning fat. You will see the scale move soon I'm sure.

If not, then tighten your tracking up else you may not be in a calorie deficit.
  • crissy976
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

https://youtu.be/vjKPIcI51lU

Wow! Thank you for sharing this with me!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    So I bought a food scale last night! :)

It's good to know that some people do listen!! Well done and good luck.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    So I bought a food scale last night! :)

Please update with what you notice! It's usually pretty eye opening. :smile: