What's your biggest waste of money related to fitness?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    not strictly useless or 'waste'. . . but i sure have a lot of recreational spending that's gone into me and my body habits. lifting's been fairly cheap so far, but biking's the worst. the only other obsession i've ever had with even comparable costs is knitting.

there's no such thing as completely rainproof bike pants, but they're like candy to me . . . i have at least two pairs of high-end tights that either stick to my legs or let the rain through. they just lurk in the closet while i keep going back to my trusty sturdy original muddy-buddies that i bought years ago. i might even have a few pairs from the last retail binge that i haven't even tested out yet.

messenger bags. i ate my pride and went pannier, but not after spending a few hundred bucks and then putting in chiro and physio time. and all the endless supply of blinkies and headlights and headlamps and visibility-aids that i can't keep away from as well.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Leggings.

And GRRRL Clothing.

My obsession with fun leggings is completely ridiculous- but I don't give a rats patooty.
    I wear the hell out of them things- and feel no shame.

But- it does take a HUGE chunk out of my pay check. not even going to lie.

beat me to it. its a reaaaaalllllly big prob. Really big.
  • girlongoing
    girlongoing Posts: 26 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    My mom and I bought a month supply of Nutri System for like $200 each. The meals were pretty bad. All of them were shelf stable and needed to be microwaved. I was only eating like 1,100 calories a day and was starving. I think I did it for about a week and a half before I binged and gave up. We wound up donating the left over meals to a homeless shelter.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Only thing I've bought that I don't use are a small set up dumbbells and some resistance bands. Not sure if I will use them or not, but keeping them for now. Also not overly happy with my fitness tracker, but it's mostly okay for now and will get a new one in the New Year (I think). Took a couple pairs of shoes to get some I like on the treadmill.

Thinking about a gym membership but having trouble pulling the trigger.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    not strictly useless or 'waste'. . . but i sure have a lot of recreational spending that's gone into me and my body habits. lifting's been fairly cheap so far, but biking's the worst. the only other obsession i've ever had with even comparable costs is knitting.

there's no such thing as completely rainproof bike pants, but they're like candy to me . . . i have at least two pairs of high-end tights that either stick to my legs or let the rain through. they just lurk in the closet while i keep going back to my trusty sturdy original muddy-buddies that i bought years ago. i might even have a few pairs from the last retail binge that i haven't even tested out yet.

messenger bags. i ate my pride and went pannier, but not after spending a few hundred bucks and then putting in chiro and physio time. and all the endless supply of blinkies and headlights and headlamps and visibility-aids that i can't keep away from as well.

I am cracking up at your comparison of knitting to bike costs. As a fellow fiber junkie and biker, I can testify, it's funny because it's true.

It's all fun and games obsessing over hand painted baby alpaca/lamb blends and hoarding a kick-*kitten* yarn stash, till you get a French Angora and start pricing out Saxony wheels. :o
  • LemonadeCandy_
    LemonadeCandy_ Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I bought a stationary bike for my apartment so I could work out at home at night, but it turns out I don't like the motion of it. Maybe when I lose a little bit more weight- my thighs hit the seat edge in a way that is uncomfortable for me. I also find that it's hard to keep my heart rate up and distract myself with television....so I end up just focusing on how uncomfortable I am.

Acts as a side table for now.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    till you get a French Angora and start pricing out Saxony wheels. :o

Stop That Right Now. i have just successfully killed my yarn habit after elann.com sold out to amazon. i am not starting again.

the thing about knitting and winter biking is, they're such naturally complementary obsessions. one feeds and supports the other . . . and then you discover lifting and realise that knitting can interfere with your shoulder mobility and your whole life falls apart.

i still wear the strangest socks in the gym though. there's that.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    till you get a French Angora and start pricing out Saxony wheels. :o

Stop That Right Now. i have just successfully killed my yarn habit after elann.com sold out to amazon. i am not starting again.

the thing about knitting and winter biking is, they're such naturally complementary obsessions. one feeds and supports the other . . . and then you discover lifting and realise that knitting can interfere with your shoulder mobility and your whole life falls apart.

i still wear the strangest socks in the gym though. there's that.

Ha ha! I am soon to become a dealer, just like Breaking Bad, so I have to push it! Sock yarn is, admittedly, a very hardcore habit. 645rne2r5oiw.jpeg
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Ha ha! I am soon to become a dealer, just like Breaking Bad, so I have to push it! Sock yarn is, admittedly, a very hardcore habit. 645rne2r5oiw.jpeg

d'awww . . . that would be wonderful, but not for socks.

i learned my lesson. i am just not the kind of girl who handwashes things and 'lays flat to dry'. and a person only needs so many sweaters that are good for the bike but too misshapen and shrunk for the pedestrian world.

so i am superwash only, and probably safe from your wicked wiles. i'm impressed though.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    peter2100 wrote: »
    Technically fitness is free. You can do bodyweight exercises and go for a run. A person could get a hell of a lot fitter than most people by simply doing that.

I go to the gym for the convenience. And I consider it worth it, because I got 3 times a week, and I can go at any time, morning or night, it's always open. If I want to go to the gym at 5am, I can.

Anything other than a gym membership is not required in my opinion. Even protein shakes are not necessary. Have you heard of chicken breasts? 80g in one breast. People were getting fit hundreds of years ago with nothing. It's funny to me when people spend money and do everything other than the two things that actually matter: diet and exercise.

Random fun fact: per gram of protein, protein powder is always cheaper than even chicken breast (unless you buy overpriced "sucker powder"). Who's the sucker now?...well me, because I eat the hell out of both.

Gallon of milk at the local supercenter is $.64. Think that is the cheapest per gram I've seen protein..
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Paying for a gym membership just to wait around for equipment. The being too lazy to go cancel it. If you don't need the motivation of going to a gym and have the space, I highly recommend cobbling together a home gym with a bench, bar and squat racks. I spent about $200 on used pieces and have been adding more over time. No lines. Open 24 hours. Come and go as I please.