Walk-Run Intervals

Options
How do you log walk-run intervals into the MFP database?
When I put in "Running - Interval Training" it is way less calories than a brisk walk, why is that? Shouldn't I be burning more calories?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Back when I did C25k, I would add the time running and add the time walking and log them as two separate entries.
  • vronmac
    vronmac Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was using the telephone poles as my guides. Walk 2-3 poles, Run 3-4 poles. Next time I'll have to time it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    How far did you go in total? I'd calculate the calories X distance walking & Y distance running ( walking .30 x weight in lbs x distance in miles & running use .63) enter it as slow running & force the calories...
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Is it correct that walking a mile or jogging a mile burns roughly the same number of calories? The old work = distance x time?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Briantime wrote: »
    Is it correct that walking a mile or jogging a mile burns roughly the same number of calories? The old work = distance x time?

No. Walking is .3 times distance. Running is .63
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM - I like Polar h7 as it's just the chest strap with bluetooth and can pair with an app on my phone (i like digifit/icardio personally). start your app and run/walk - get your calorie count :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM - I like Polar h7 as it's just the chest strap with bluetooth and can pair with an app on my phone (i like digifit/icardio personally). start your app and run/walk - get your calorie count :)

The transitions from running to walking generate inaccuracy, as does the low heat rate generated by walking.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    vronmac wrote: »
    How do you log walk-run intervals into the MFP database?
    When I put in "Running - Interval Training" it is way less calories than a brisk walk, why is that? Shouldn't I be burning more calories?

It really depends what your total distance is. You could do as hothead, work out the distances walking and running, or you could just accept that while there is some error if you log it all as running, in the grand scheme of things that error isn't a big deal.

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    If you bring a smartphone with you an app like MapMyFitness can calculate calories from GPS and sync them to MFP. I know there are a bunch that do the same thing if you check the apps that sync with MFP. I personally love my heart rate monitor and Vivoactive for calculating calories.