Thanksgiving calories!

Options
2»

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Lots of turkey - not so much bread. Get in some steps if you can. Try to relax and remember that it's only one day. Hit it hard the next day and get back on track quickly!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    There is nothing to be afraid of, and there are many "Thanksgiving dinner" entries in the database! Christmas dinners too.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    yolo!
    really though its one day. i will pick having a wonderful day with friends and family then stressing over calories.
  • Michaelxo444
    Michaelxo444 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a big deal you only get so many meals a life time make good memories be happy enjoy yourself but don't go crazy listen to your body
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the last two years, I have stayed under my calorie goal on Thanksgiving.

This year, I am going to a dinner hosted by family members, so I do not know what the menu will be...other than dessert which I am bringing. I never do the traditional turkey dinner....so this year I am faced with that.

That being said, I intend to have a small portion of the items that look tasty to me. I plan to stay under goal again this year.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I don't know if it's just my family... but... we eat our Thanksgiving meal around 2PM and we fast that whole day until it's time to eat.

Then there may be some drinking and pie eating and leftover picking in the evening.

I would prefer to do it this way just so that you can minimize the amount of damage on that particular day.

I can't fast, I get weak and dizzy and it's just horrible... plus I always hit the gym hard that morning. But yeah.. probably easier for people who don't eat breakfast.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    mjaquay21 wrote: »
    Thanksgiving is all about relaxing with the people you love and I get that but the calories scare me and I don't know what to do or the calories of my family's meal because it's my dad's family. Any ideas on how to save calories? I'd love a 600 calorie meal... I like sweet potato wedges and turkey and bread

Get yourself to the gym early. It will be packed, but consider it motivation! I love the gym on Thanksgiving Day. ;)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    You can do what my family is doing this year and be invited to friends' Thanksgiving dinner - where you and the friends have diametrically opposed tastes in food. I'll be shocked if Thanksgiving isn't one of my higher deficit days of the year.

Of course, we are planning on making up for that the Friday after. :wink:
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I don't know if it's just my family... but... we eat our Thanksgiving meal around 2PM and we fast that whole day until it's time to eat.

Then there may be some drinking and pie eating and leftover picking in the evening.

I would prefer to do it this way just so that you can minimize the amount of damage on that particular day.

I can't fast, I get weak and dizzy and it's just horrible... plus I always hit the gym hard that morning. But yeah.. probably easier for people who don't eat breakfast.

Same here (minus the gym, shame one me). Fasting sets me up for failure since it makes me spaced out beyond belief the entire day and then sets me up for binging on way more than I normally would have consumed.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Most of the stuff at Thanksgiving, I eat year round anyway, so I can't see completely losing it at all. I am making everything, so I control the calories.

I am planning on eating my favorite holiday sandwich - turkey breast, stuffing, and cranberry sauce on a Hawaiian roll. I'll probably bake some sweet potato fries to go with it. Dessert is calorie bomb apple cobbler with some low cal vanilla bean ice cream. This is going to be the only meal of the day so there is that too.

Thanksgiving is never the problem per se...rather, it is the start of holiday baking season. Marzipan stollen, lebkuchen, speculaas, white chocolate cranberry cookies, shortbread, peppermint bark, nom.