When did you know it was time to start maintaining?

What was it that made you start maintaining? Was it a pair of jeans, the way you saw yourself in the mirror or maybe a photo? What made you come to realize that the weight loss was over and that you should start maintaining?

Replies

• PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Losing more weight is just not ideal or realistic for me to maintain. I'm happy where I am..so I stopped eating at a deficit and have been maintaining the past year.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    I love it. Thanks guys
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,475 Member
    When it was time to start training for long distance cycling events.
  • gojaqs
    gojaqs Posts: 471 Member
    When I reached the goal I set for myself.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    I woke up one day and realized that I had gone from being a morbidly obese landslug to a skinnyphag at 5"10", 150. Definitely was time for a bulk/cut cycle, then further recomp between 165 and 175.

Anything bigger is likely going to require unacceptable bodyfat, or some "supplements".
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    My new progress picture has me seriously considering it. Just forget the 6 vanity pounds and recomp.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited November 2016
    For me it happened on a random Tuesday. I was really happy with my body and didn't want to get smaller.

Plus I was happy with my eating and exercise so I decided to call it goal!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Didn't quite reach my goal, like only five pounds off, then began to maintain and lost more anyway down to my goal. So everything worked out.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    I don't think I have ever maintained on purpose. I will keep bulking/cutting until I am happy with my physique.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,116 Member
    When I got about 3 pounds from my goal I decided to maintain and started slowly increasing my calories. That turned out to be a good idea for me. I have lost 6 pounds below my maintenance so I am still working on trying to find the sweet spot of how many calories I should have each day.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    I hit my original goal weight and realized I wasn't where I needed to be at yet (going by health markers), so I lost a few more pounds, started seeing consistent good results with blood tests and called it good :) Been maintaining in the 20-21 bmi range for several years now.
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    My new progress picture has me seriously considering it. Just forget the 6 vanity pounds and recomp.

that is me at the moment. i am 3lbs under my target weight, and had set myself a further 6lbs for vanity when i hit the target. i dont think an extra drop of 3lbs will impact on my appearence, stamina or fitness, its more my self proof i can do it.
    not sure i need to. i am VERY happy with what i currently am
  • sunny_d22
    sunny_d22 Posts: 316 Member
    I recently hit my goal weight (155, normal BMI) . But, I've decided to lose another 7 pounds (148). I'm losing slowly, not in a hurry. Once I get into the 140s, I'm going to try not logging and see if I can maintain.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    When I reached a BF% that was healthy, I looked good at, and that I could maintain without being a total nazi with my diet. 12-15% my sweet spot...lower than that requires too much effort on my part and frankly, there's more to life than being super lean...and I always like a good party. More than 15% (like right now) and I feel chubby. I put on about 10 Lbs over the course of the summer and early fall due to being sidelined with an injury so I'm cutting that right now.
  • Francl27 wrote: »
    Couldn't lose more weight without being miserable.
    Same here, After hitting 120 lbs I couldn't lose anymore without feeling miserable myself.