What do you do when you're caught without food?

Options
At school today when I was trying to microwave my lunch I knocked it over and it went everywhere. I made a huge mess (and a huge scene) and I no longer had my pre-made, portioned meal that I know would keep me full for the rest of the day. Luckily I'd had a larger breakfast than normal, and I didn't have any issues just waiting to eat until I got home.

But I was wondering what your strategies are for buying food at unknown places or if you have go-to foods from fast food places that keep you going without going over?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Depends largely on where I am and what is available. If fast food is available my fallback is a burger and unsweetened tea. If there's a deli or gas station, I look for boiled eggs and tea or maybe diet pop. Thinking about it, I tend to look for protein and hydration and worry about veggies/fruit at another time.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,140 Member
    Options
    I might wait to eat until I get home, like you did.

I might go to a local bakery (they're just about on every street corner around here, more plentiful than "fast food" places) and get a small cheese and tomato toastie.

I might go to a local grocery store and buy a couple bananas or mandarin oranges or similar. Or maybe one of those single serve tuna things. Or if I would have access to a microwave, then that opens up all sorts of possibilities.
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'd likely stop at a grocery store and grab things there. My go to would probably be a bag of baby carrots, bananas, some applesauce, a small bag of nuts...
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease and am a vegetarian so my options are limited. I usually don't have trouble, though. There's usually a convenience store or gas station nearby. You can get things like cheese sticks and boiled eggs at places like that these days. Or at least a bag of almonds. That's what I'd do.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've had to change from what I had planned to eat sometimes.
    I've been logging for quite awhile and that makes it easier. I eat a variety of foods so know lots of foods that fit the amount of calories I eat for each meal. I know what I can get from fast food places that fit well.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I work on the road, so when I don't plan correctly I need to buy out. I usually go for a McDs double or triple cheeseburger. If gas station is my only option then it's a hard boiled egg, cheesestick, and maybe a yogurt.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I have a protein bar I keep in my purse just in case. I've also bought the 100 calorie packets of almonds or cashews and kept one in my computer bag.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I try to find an apple. Maybe an orange and a filling protein bar. Maybe string cheese.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I buy lunch on campus quite a bit. We have a couple of Subways - which is nice because I can get a sandwich with meat and lots of veggies and I know the calorie count. Otherwise, soup has often been a go-to because it's warm and filling and relatively low calorie (as long as you're not talking about something like "cream of bacon and cheddar soup").
  • janetennet
    janetennet Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    At work I always keep a yogurt in the fridge, some popcorn, crackers and an apple in my drawer. These are more typically eaten as "snack" foods for me but if I need them for lunch I'll have 2-3 of them together.
    I've also started keeping a pack of protein soya chips in my car in-case I am out and don't have anything or want to buy.
    If I'm at a shop, I would buy anything healthy, if the option was take-away I would probably do a small burger like the Jnr Whopper/ Cheeseburger etc. without fries.
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I try to carry a muesli/date bar with me most of the time in case that happens :)
    If I didn't have that, I would probably grab some takeaway veggie sushi or a vegan salad with plenty of greens!
    For snacks out, I'd choose a small coffee made with soy milk.

Going to the closest supermarket is also a good idea- some of them sell energy balls/bars made with simple ingredients (nuts and dates and not much else), which are great for a quick pick me up. Also fruit or fruit salad is a personal favourite :)
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of these responses! It's neat to see everyone's different strategies. It definitely sounds like having a car, a fridge at work, or a nearby supermarket helps a lot. I don't have those around school, but I definitely wish I did! It's interesting that boiled eggs sound like a gas station staple - I have never seen anything cooked at a gas station other than patties and coffee. Usually it's just slurpies, chips, and candy. But the cheese stick idea is definitely new! I often look for yogurt as well.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I'd just eat whatever's available and fits into my calories for the day. If the only thing available was higher calorie than I'd planned for, I'd adjust my other meal(s) to compensate.There are reasonably healthful and low-calorie options pretty much everywhere.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    some of the supermarkets I go past do rotisserie chicken - so I'll get a chicken thigh and a bag of packed salad leaves.

Otherwise I'm doomed. I end up having a nasty sausage roll or something, then feel the need for a bag of crisps and a bar of chocolate. Yesterday I went to a training session and whilst the sandwiches were fine, it was the shortbread and the mini chocolate brownies that put the evil in me. then the mac and cheese when i got home, and the two glasses of red.....

I compensate by being superhealthy the next day.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Hunt down something delicious and not too calorific (unless I can afford it in my calories), eat, be done :D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If I had a store nearby, I might get yogurt or cottage cheese plus fruit of some sort. Maybe some nuts too, or raw veg if they had something that looked good.

My office is in a city, though, with a million food places around, so more likely I'd use it as an excuse to go pick something up at Pret. Most of the quick lunch places around me have calories listed and plenty of them have good options that I like. My goal when getting a quick lunch out is usually finding balance -- something that has a decent amount of protein, not too many calories, and some vegetables.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I would probably just fast until my evening meal and have a more caloric meal.
  • riceflourde
    riceflourde Posts: 58 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I used to like side salads from Wendy's or McDonalds but in recent years they all seem to have a bleach flavor to me.

Wendy's has a plain baked potato and chili.

At McDonald's you can buy an egg sandwich all day now. I don't care for their grilled chicken.

At a tiny gas station I would go for seeds or nuts and pretzels. Around here most have a selection of fruit YMMV!