1,000 Calories/Day

Options
13»

Replies

• KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I'm 19, 133 pounds, and 5'3. Short and stout. My goal is to eat about 1,000 calories a day, and I can eat 1,200 if I burn the extra 200 off. Coming from a background of disordered eating habits, this is the highest amount of calories I've ever eaten while trying to lose weight, so I'm not sure how well it will work or how quickly I will lose weight. Part of me even thinks this is W A Y too much for my body to be consuming for weight loss. I guess I really need to be reassured that this amount isn't too much. If it really is too much though then someone please tell me.

It sounds fine to me, as long as YOU'RE comfortable with it. I'm 5'6 and eat around the same amount of calories as you. After experimenting with different calorie amounts and different foods, I've noticed a low calorie (mostly plant-based) lifestyle works best for me because with all the nutrients, I no longer feel deprived even on 1,000-1,200 (unlike when I ate all sorts of foods on 1,400+ and STILL ended up binging). Find out what works for you. Experiment a little.

There are macros: protein, fat and carbs.

Then there are micros: vitamins, minerals, fiber.

Do not confuse the two. Just because some people find high volume, high fiber (very often low nutrition) are filling does not mean they are providing adequate nutrition.

Macros have calories. A full plate of broccoli may be filling, provides vitamin C and fiber.....but that doesn't support existing lean muscle mass. OP said so herself. She doesn't want to be skinny-fat. 1,000 calories (high volume, high fiber) is a recipe for skinny-fat.

Cravings and binging often occurs when the body is lacking a certain vitamin. Example: chocolate cravings are a sign of magnesium deficiency (mine went away when I increased magnesium rich foods). My years of binging and crazy cravings came to a complete stop when I switched to a whole, mainly plant-based diet with exception of eggs. My cravings for sugar are also gone. Additionally, I recently started including protein powders which are great in green smoothies, and Ind I rarely think of food now. My recent bloodwork results are better than they've ever been (doctor was impressed). So stop making assumptions please.

Um. No.
    Cravings happen when you don't nourish your body by eating too few calories. Someone can eat 500 calories a day and take a 100%RDI vitamins and minerals and still have cravings and binge due to under eating....not getting enough fats, proteins and carbs, and not giving your BODY enough ENERGY to perform basic functions.
    I'm 19, 133 pounds, and 5'3. Short and stout. My goal is to eat about 1,000 calories a day, and I can eat 1,200 if I burn the extra 200 off. Coming from a background of disordered eating habits, this is the highest amount of calories I've ever eaten while trying to lose weight, so I'm not sure how well it will work or how quickly I will lose weight. Part of me even thinks this is W A Y too much for my body to be consuming for weight loss. I guess I really need to be reassured that this amount isn't too much. If it really is too much though then someone please tell me.

It sounds fine to me, as long as YOU'RE comfortable with it. I'm 5'6 and eat around the same amount of calories as you. After experimenting with different calorie amounts and different foods, I've noticed a low calorie (mostly plant-based) lifestyle works best for me because with all the nutrients, I no longer feel deprived even on 1,000-1,200 (unlike when I ate all sorts of foods on 1,400+ and STILL ended up binging). Find out what works for you. Experiment a little.

This is HORRIBLE advice.

If cravings and binging are from low calories then I'm beyond far overdue (and confused why I only did it when eating higher calories). Ironic twist.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Do not confuse the two. Just because some people find high volume, high fiber (very often low nutrition) are filling does not mean they are providing adequate nutrition.

Macros have calories. A full plate of broccoli may be filling, provides vitamin C and fiber.....but that doesn't support existing lean muscle mass. OP said so herself. She doesn't want to be skinny-fat. 1,000 calories (high volume, high fiber) is a recipe for skinny-fat.

Cravings and binging often occurs when the body is lacking a certain vitamin. Example: chocolate cravings are a sign of magnesium deficiency (mine went away when I increased magnesium rich foods). My years of binging and crazy cravings came to a complete stop when I switched to a whole, mainly plant-based diet with exception of eggs. My cravings for sugar are also gone. Additionally, I recently started including protein powders which are great in green smoothies, and Ind I rarely think of food now. My recent bloodwork results are better than they've ever been (doctor was impressed). So stop making assumptions please.

Um. No.
    Cravings happen when you don't nourish your body by eating too few calories. Someone can eat 500 calories a day and take a 100%RDI vitamins and minerals and still have cravings and binge due to under eating....not getting enough fats, proteins and carbs, and not giving your BODY enough ENERGY to perform basic functions.

This is HORRIBLE advice.

If cravings and binging are from low calories then I'm beyond far overdue (and confused why I only did it when eating higher calories). Ironic twist.

Um. No.

This is HORRIBLE advice.

Bingeing or not, eating 1000 cals is not healthy for you

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Im 5'6 1/2 and if I ate 1000 calories no matter what it was Id be crabby,tired,no energy. are you weighing your food?if not you are probably eating more that 1000 calories if you are not feeling deprived. someone of your height should not eat 1000 calories,your BMR Im sure is more than that.the best way to lose weight is being able to eat more and still lose weight, not deprive yourself of calories which you are doing. even someone under 5ft tall would most likely need more than 1000 calories a day.
  • jadevalentine
    jadevalentine Posts: 10 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Your weight is my goal and I am one inch shorter. This is absolutely not stout. I hope that you reach out as others have mentioned to a counselor or health professional. All the best to you and your health.
  • Anonymous_fiend
    Anonymous_fiend Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Former ana/Mia here. Since your posting this part of you knows that this may not be the best idea. It may not be seriously unhealthy right now but its a slippery slope to relapsing. First if all I want to say YOU ARE NOT FAT. I understand wanting to reach your goal weight. But restricting so much can lead to anxiety, depression, stress, and physical problems like hair loss. And it leads to binging. Having a more forgiving and flexible diet helps lose and maintain your goal weight. For extreme weight loss 1200 net calories daily average will still give results while providing essential nutrients and energy. Don't deny cravings-try to use portion sizes. Please don't be so hard on yourself :)

As for weight loss 1200cals is 1.5-2 pounds a week. If you lose much faster you can lose muscle tone and get kinda skinnyfat (I made this mistake and still trying to fix it). Although strengthening exercises don't burn much cals they drop inches off. Add me if you need a inspo buddy :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You aren't 'short and stout' at your height at weight. That was/is my goal weight (been at goal since 2013) at same height and I look fab. :smiley:
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP are you still in treatment for disordered eating? I know it can be scary to eat more, but what you're describing is still too low calories and talking about eating more only if you earn it through exercise sounds a little harsh as well.

For what it's worth, I'm 5'2 and lost my weight eating between 1600-1900 cals/day. You need more and should eat more than 1000 cals. How much were you eating prior to this, when you weren't actively trying to lose?

I'm actually not in any sort of treatment, as I was never officially diagnosed with anything due to lack of access to doctors and therapists, so it's just something I'm trying to do on my own. If I wasn't paying attention or anything, my caloric intake averaged about 800, but when I tried losing weight, I'd eat around 500 calories a day, and I'd fast one or two days a week. With the help of friends I realized I had a problem, and now here I am.

Edit: I'd also like to add that more recently, I suffer from binge eating, consuming up to 3,000 calories a day. I guess I have an 'all or nothing' sort of behavior.
    OP are you still in treatment for disordered eating? I know it can be scary to eat more, but what you're describing is still too low calories and talking about eating more only if you earn it through exercise sounds a little harsh as well.

For what it's worth, I'm 5'2 and lost my weight eating between 1600-1900 cals/day. You need more and should eat more than 1000 cals. How much were you eating prior to this, when you weren't actively trying to lose?

I'm actually not in any sort of treatment, as I was never officially diagnosed with anything due to lack of access to doctors and therapists, so it's just something I'm trying to do on my own. If I wasn't paying attention or anything, my caloric intake averaged about 800, but when I tried losing weight, I'd eat around 500 calories a day, and I'd fast one or two days a week. With the help of friends I realized I had a problem, and now here I am.

Edit: I'd also like to add that more recently, I suffer from binge eating, consuming up to 3,000 calories a day. I guess I have an 'all or nothing' sort of behavior.

I have the same ed. Add me. Maybe I can help. I lost 9lbs my first month and one week I even relapsed and ate fast food all week. You can definitely lose on 1200 probably not as quick as me because I'm much bigger but still a decent amount!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

I have the same ed. Add me. Maybe I can help. I lost 9lbs my first month and one week I even relapsed and ate fast food all week. You can definitely lose on 1200 probably not as quick as me because I'm much bigger but still a decent amount!

Oh lawd no.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,744 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread. This discussion is welcome to continue in groups.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal. A growing list of support resources can be found in our Eating Disorder Resources page.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Sugar
This discussion has been closed.