is this classed as HIIT?

Options
I have been doing 2 sessions per week on the treadmill after a warm up as follows: run fast for 1 min (probably more like 50 seconds from when treadmill gets up to speed. this is 10-10.5 mph for me, 5'6") then walk for 2 mins. repeat 8 times. All things I have seen on the internet recommend much shorter time intervals but it is a pain to get the treadmill speed up and down in short spaces of time. I guess I just want to know if I will still be getting the HIIT fat burning benefit that im hoping for......

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    doesnt sound like that routine is particularly 'high intensity'?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    You're calorie deficit is what determines fat and weight loss. HIIT cardio is just another way to burn calories with intervals.
    You can be great at HIIT, but if you're eating isn't a moderate deficit along with it, you won't lose fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    General rule regarding HIIT: if you're questioning if it is or isn't? It isn't.

This is interval training, but not HIIT. And HIIT doesn't really burn fat like its proponents want you to believe. That said, this seems like a fine way to get some cardio in, if you like it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    HIIT cardio is just another way to burn calories with intervals.

No. High intensity interval training is for stuff like improving your anaerobic work capacity.