The more I read here....help???

Options
the more confused I get. In my original settings on the app, it estimated 1390 calories to give me a 2lb/week loss. I inputted that I was sedentary, but having read through some threads here, I'm wondering if that was incorrect and also, as I've lost, I've de facto become more active (as it's much easier to move more now.) I haven't changed my intake. Additionally, I've always stuck to eating between 1,000 and 1,300 calories per day (I have no idea why I won't eat up to the max, except that I do have a cheat meal for dinner on friday nights, so it's almost like building in that little bit of wiggle room in my mind, FWIW). I used a formula someone posted in another thread to see with accurate tracking over time, what my deficit has actually been, since that's supposed to be more accurate. According to that (I've lost 51lbs in 19 weeks) I should be eating more around 1,600 calories, BUT I'm only losing arond 2.6lbs/week at my current intake....so I don't very much want to up it. Is this bad thinking? When I started my BMI was 36.1 and it is now 28.7. Should I be trying to slow things down? I have 26lbs left to lose to be in a "healthy" BMI.

In my reading here, I'm noticing that I'm definitely having some effects from the low calorie diet (constipation being the absolute worst of them, along with some gall bladder attacks early on.) And of course, I'm always hungry. My macros are OK (I always hit my protein goal, for instance.) I don't have any medical supervision beyond getting regular checkups with my doc (my next is two months away.) I am definitely concerned about muscle loss, though, and metabolic effects. I had an unusual pregnancy complication that caused me to lose weight very rapidly every time I was pregnant and that "starvation mode" metabolism post-partum is part of why I put on the weight to begin with. I really don't want to deal with that again. Any advice? I'm sorry this is so long.

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode" wasn't the issue, rebound eating all the things more likely the explanation but that's by the by.

Yes, you should slow down your losses, particularly as you are already seeing side effects, this means you probably have more issues lurking round the corner. You can up your intake slowly, 100 extra per day for a week and so on. This will minimise the water weight and more food in your system "bounce" on the scales. You've probably already lost a lot of muscle, especially as you make no mention of any strength training nor eating back any extra "earned" calories from daily activity/steps.

And you may have been hitting your protein macro but what about the micros? They are just as important for optimum health, as is making sure you're getting enough dietary fat as this helps nutrient absorption and hormone function.

You might even want to consider taking a diet break to restore hormone levels before losing the remaining weight, given how aggressively you have lost the first amount.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP it can be very confusing. Have you taken some time to read the stickied "Most Helpful Posts" at the top of each forum section? They have a wealth of good information in them. In particular, I like this collection which addresses a number of common topics:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260499/i-like-old-posts-and-i-cannot-lie/p1

To address your specific questions - you definitely need to slow down that rate of loss by increasing those calories. With 25 lbs left to lose, you should be aiming to lose no more than 1 lb/week, and really, 0.5 lb/week would be more appropriate. That's only a 250-500 cal deficit from your TDEE. Since you are already seeing some of those adverse side effects of your low calorie intake, as well as being hungry all the time, you need to get over the fear of eating more calories and start to slow things down. This will help ensure a successful transition to maintenance as well, as you get closer and closer to your goal.

• janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    I would eat more fiber, take a stool softener and also eat a low calore snack when hungry, a couple tines a day. Try to eat atleast 1200 calories a day. I wouldn't raise my calorie alloment, just eat more of what was already is given to you. When I started I was given around 1350. As for exercise when I started moving more and adding in those calories my weightloss basically stopped. I wouldn't worry about my exercise calories, just because your moving alittle more, probably just what's normal moving for most people. It just made me eat more and lose less. If you lose 2 pounds a week instead of 2.6, it's better to eat alittle more to not be hungry all day.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I would eat more fiber, take a stool softener and also eat a low calore snack when hungry, a couple tines a day. Try to eat atleast 1200 calories a day. I wouldn't raise my calorie alloment, just eat more of what was already is given to you. When I started I was given around 1350. As for exercise when I started moving more and adding in those calories my weightloss basically stopped. I wouldn't worry about my exercise calories, just because your moving alittle more, probably just what's normal moving for most people. It just made me eat more and lose less. If you lose 2 pounds a week instead of 2.6, it's better to eat alittle more to not be hungry all day.

2 lbs/week is still far too aggressive for someone with only 25 lbs to lose. OP also needs to be eating back some exercise calories now that she is more active.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Wait... What??? If you still have 25 more lbs to lose to get to your goal BMI, then you still have room to decide. If you are losing 2.6 lbs a week, it will still take you 2+ months to get there. If you are successfully losing, then do what is working for you. I still keep my calories to 1200 per day, and if I workout, I eat back about half of them because MFP is sometimes excessive in giving calories burned. So... for the constipation, take a stool softener or colon cleanse (there are daily ones out there that do not cause diarrhea or bloating) If you are hungry, eat a low carb snack and hit the top of your calorie goal. When I started working out, I slowed with my weight loss, but it gave me muscle tone- and inches lost.

All of these opinions offer something different, but if you are losing then you know what is working for you. If you stall out, then change things up.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    mommazach wrote: »
    Wait... What??? If you still have 25 more lbs to lose to get to your goal BMI, then you still have room to decide. If you are losing 2.6 lbs a week, it will still take you 2+ months to get there. If you are successfully losing, then do what is working for you. I still keep my calories to 1200 per day, and if I workout, I eat back about half of them because MFP is sometimes excessive in giving calories burned. So... for the constipation, take a stool softener or colon cleanse (there are daily ones out there that do not cause diarrhea or bloating) If you are hungry, eat a low carb snack and hit the top of your calorie goal. When I started working out, I slowed with my weight loss, but it gave me muscle tone- and inches lost.

All of these opinions offer something different, but if you are losing then you know what is working for you. If you stall out, then change things up.
    No she shouldn't aim for 2.6 lbs a week. That is way too aggressive. I agree with the 1 lbs a week suggestion.
    I would try to stop constipation with diet before using colon cleanses. Add fiber, fluids, etc. Also you have to remember less going in means less coming out
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I would slow it down, eat more, and be patient. How about 1.5 pounds per week?