looking for buddies with hypothyroidism

Options
hi, im not new here, but i am new to hypothyroidism and i have heard it can be quite difficult to lose weight with it.
i would like to find friends that are in the same/similar position needing to lose a couple of stone but am faced with the extra difficulty of the blasted thyroid disease. im currently on 100mcg per day and i have a new levels of 0.47

Replies

• purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Hi, you can add me. I have a thyroid condition as well. :)
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Hi, you can add me. I have a thyroid condition as well. :)

thank you x
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    hi hun i dont think i can? can you add me?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Have you done any research on the Stop the thyroid Madness site? You can discover much more from there and other support sites than most doctors know. I've had issues for years and have used this and other sites to help myself. Presently working with a nutritionist. I'll do my best to share what I have discovered.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    yep, i am a member of that site and also health unlocked. i have researched my condition so i know what to go in with when seeing the dr as they sometimes dont know what there on about lol
  • d_mom_of_4
    d_mom_of_4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can add me. Ive been on medication since last year had issues when I started. End of July I did whole30 and after that eating paleo 90/10 bit still staying GF.
    I work out daily and managed to loose 18kg with lots of work.
  • joannenewman999
    joannenewman999 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi i have had under active thyroid for 2 years , on 125mg a day
  • millzy64
    millzy64 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Me too, 200mcg a day here. I'm now on maintenance but found losing the weight (around 50 lbs) wasn't too difficult. The key is having your dosage correct and getting tested on a regular basis. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    thank you everybody ive added you all xxx
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism secondary to lithium use. You are welcome to add me.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    do any of you find that it gets easier to lose weight if your tsh levels are below 1?
  • Ipedalforpleasure
    Ipedalforpleasure Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm also hypothyroid and have lost 75 pounds, taking 35 mcg of synthroid daily. I haven't had any issues, I just watch what I eat and workout 5-6 times per week.
  • Fuzzipeg
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The things I have found which have improved my symptoms have absolutely nothing to do with tsh. In fact when on liquid levo and my tsh was .5 I felt so much worse than at any time in the previous 40 years. Taking the pill form made my symptoms worse. Taking levo suppresses the tsh. Do you know if you are iodine deficient hypo or like the majority of us have Hashimotos thyroiditis an autoimmune disorder. Doctors treat both the same but reducing one's thyroid antibodies really helps those with hashi.

I'm down more than 100 lb, none of it with the help of t4 thyroid medication. What helped me was taking thyroid support supplements, doing a candida diet, eliminating intolerances and using probiotics to repair my digestive biome. I was so ill at one time that I could not walk easily and my reactions to other peoples perfumes and household cleaning products made it impossible for me to do all the things I loved. Now I can do so much more than when I was in my 40's.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    i have no choice but to take levo, its the only thing that is offered in the uk unfortunately
  • Fuzzipeg
    Options
    ME to I'm UK. True you have to go to the health food shop. Optibac is the range of probiotics which are also no histamine. Biocare do a brilliant thyroid support, I can't remember the proper name but it has 207 in it. I bought it for my daughter this morning. I know there are other brands available but these are ones which helped me.

I know what you are going through. My doctors would not have it that I react to their favourite t4.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    Can you take that as well as the levo?
  • hotel4dogs
    hotel4dogs Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've been zero thyroid for almost 40 years, taking full supplement. My doctor says that it "doesn't play nearly as large a part in weight control as people like to think". Apparently studies have shown that being low thyroid for several years *might* account for about a 5-10 pound weight gain, but there have been no true cause/effect studies done. Lord knows I've gained more than 5 pounds over the years! However, sorting out my thyroid issue certainly did help with the dry skin, hair loss, being constantly cold, and low blood pressure.

Here's some information, taken from http://www.thyroid.org/thyroid-and-weight/.

I am sharing this simply because I don't want people to be disappointed when they get their thyroid issues sorted out and the weight doesn't start to disappear, and as tough love for those who blame their excess weight on thyroid issues. It just doesn't make that much difference.

HYPOTHYROIDISM AND THYROID HORMONE
    WHAT IS THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN HYPOTHYROIDISM AND WEIGHT GAIN?
    Since the BMR in the patient with hypothyroidism (see Hypothyroidism brochure) is decreased, an underactive thyroid is generally associated with some weight gain. The weight gain is often greater in those individuals with more severe hypothyroidism. However, the decrease in BMR due to hypothyroidism is usually much less dramatic than the marked increase seen in hyperthyroidism, leading to more modest alterations in weight due to the underactive thyroid. The cause of the weight gain in hypothyroid individuals is also complex, and not always related to excess fat accumulation. Most of the extra weight gained in hypothyroid individuals is due to excess accumulation of salt and water. Massive weight gain is rarely associated with hypothyroidism. In general, 5-10 pounds of body weight may be attributable to the thyroid, depending on the severity of the hypothyroidism. Finally, if weight gain is the only symptom of hypothyroidism that is present, it is less likely that the weight gain is solely due to the thyroid.
    HOW MUCH WEIGHT CAN I EXPECT TO LOSE ONCE THE HYPOTHYROIDISM IS TREATED?
    Since much of the weight gain in hypothyroidism is accumulation in salt and water, when the hypothyroidism is treated one can expect a small (usually less than 10% of body weight) weight loss. As in the treatment with hyperthyroidism, treatment of the abnormal state of hypothyroidism with thyroid hormone should result in a return of body weight to what it was before the hypothyroidism developed. However, since hypothyroidism usually develops over a long period of time, it is fairly common to find that there is no significant weight loss after successful treatment of hypothyroidism. Again, if all of the other symptoms of hypothyroidism, with the exception of weight gain, are resolved with treatment with thyroid hormone, it is less likely that the weight gain is solely due to the thyroid. Once hypothyroidism has been treated and thyroid hormone levels have returned to the normal range of thyroid hormone, the ability to gain or lose weight is the same as in individuals who do not have thyroid problems.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    i must be one of them anomalies! in july when my thyroid took a dive, i gained 11lbs in 2 weeks 8lbs first week and 3lbs the next on 1400 calorie deficit. thats what spurred me to get tested at the drs.

all i have wanted is for myself to be put on the same level as everybody else who can lose weight normally i definitely know that the pills arent magic as i have stayed the same these past 2 weeks so no weight loss doesn't come with a thyroid below 1. i just wanted some success stories of those suffering but have still managed to lose
  • KourageousKarina
    KourageousKarina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me
  • amyteelboswell
    amyteelboswell Posts: 2 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in 2003 after two miserable years of being misdiagnosed and treated for depression. I gained 60 lbs in 6 months and nothing would take the weight off. Finally a GP ran a simple thyroid screen & started me on synthroid. After about a year I started seeing an endo who over a period of 8 years decreased the dose from 200mcg/day to 100 until my labs were in line. But I never felt quite right and still carried 15-20lbs of that added weight. I never asked what my labs were bc I really didn't have the mental strength to deal with it due to brain fog. When we moved out of state, my new gynecologist said he could handle my thyroid. He started me on T3 (cytomel) in addition to my synthroid and I felt immediately better! A co-worker told me about NDT & the STTM website, I started researching & found a functional medicine doc. She confirmed I had Hashimoto's & a MTHFR gene mutation & we switched to Armour (which I didn't like) & then to WP Thyroid, which I love plus the T3. Now that I was "awake" I kept researching & learning. I now see an awesome doc, take the WP, T3, magnesium chelate, PodiaPn, D, turmeric, and there are others that I will begin as soon as labs come back & money allows like curcumin & iodine. One of the BEST things I did was go on an AIP (autoimmune paleo) diet! My pain is minimized and I've effortlessly lost the last 15 lbs. I'm 46 now, workout regularly, can think straight(er), and feel better than ever! I hope this helps someone bc I now know this CAN be managed well and it's not my fault.